Replacing the mainspring for lighter DA pull

Previous Sticky Threads and other good info. Check this out first!
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

This thread is a "Stickey" already. Early on I felt this thread should be kept for reference.
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

I've acquired another P-64 recently. It comes with the standard 25 lb trigger pull -- like dragging a concrete block with a piece of string...

Before I order a hammer spring from Wolff, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has an extra hammer spring to sell (I know what it's like to get stuck with a drawerful of unused parts...).

I prefer a 16 lb spring, but I could go for something lighter. Whatever you may have on hand. Otherwise I'm gonna order from Wolff.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

TOM

I MIGHT HAVE 1 I 'LL GIVE YOU THAT WILL KEEP ME FROM BUYING ANOTHER P-64 TO RAP AROUND A SPRING

NEED ADDRESS TO SEND TO DON'T HAVE YOURS ANY MORE

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

Thank you, Norm. You are always most gracious about such things.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

I'LL PUT THE SPRING IN THE MAIL THUR 29 JUN 06

GLAD I COULD HELP

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
45fanatic

Post by 45fanatic »

I could use one if still available, my e-mail plocke@bellsouth.net
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

45FANATIC

SORRY ONLY HAD THE ONE EXTRA
MAY SOMEONE ELSE DOES

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

Below is an e-mail I received from Wolff Gunsprings about the possiblilty of their producing recoil and mainsprings for the P-64. Looks like we're outa luck. :'(

"Thank you for writing and for your interest in our products. We do not have any target date set to make springs for the Radom P64 pistol. About all I can offer is to run an inventory database search for a similar mainspring and or recoil spring. I would need the OD, wire size or spring ID, the number of coils and the overall length of the existing spring(s).

Sorry I can't be of more assistance at this time.

Regards,
John Andrews
Wolff Gunsprings"
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

PSHOOTR

if you want to change hammer springs go to

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/Walt ... ml#PPKS9mm

HAMMER SPRINGS
Hammer springs below are common to Walther pistol models PP, PPK, PPKS and P-38, 7.65mm and 9mm(.380) calibers.

Reduced Power...: 14, 16, 17, 18 and 19 Lb.
Factory Standard.: 20 Lb.
Extra Power.........: None Available
Stock No. 258xx - each.....$ 4.29

I have tried the 16# and I like the 18# the 14# is way to light
the recoil spring they say to try is an h&k I don't know about it I haven't tried it

http://p64.home.insightbb.com/fixes.htm

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on July 20th, 2006, 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
truth

Post by truth »

I guess I shouldn't feel this way but can't you guys accept this fine piece for what it is and not what you wish it could be or what it was not designed to be? Why put springs in that were not designed for this gun and have clips drop ect. ? You guys have a nice gun for under two bills, it takes such a small amount or time to pull the hammer back. Why is everyone changing springs?? Enjoy what you have for what it was designed to BE. Replace those cracked grips and leave the springs alone.
Just a thought...
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

The gun was NOT designed to be this way. Read the history! Heavy spring was added to ignite hard primers on the only ammo they could get from Russia at the time. They were getting surplus machine gun ammo. If I carry, I WANT that DA pull option. Add an 18#, if you want the extra margin over the 16#. I, and most other board veterans love the 16#, and have had NO problems.

Why are you so adamant about NOT making this pistol as good as it can be?
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

Well guys, I will chime in on the subject of change springs or not change springs. I think both "truth" and "b52stan" have valid points. Personally, I like things to stay as-issued for collecting purposes, but when you have one for carry purposes, I can see where the spring change can make using the pistol more user friendly.

With that said, if the springs are changed, the pistol should be completly function tested and perform several range outings before depending upon it. We all know the possiblity of the magazine dropping or the safety lever dropping, and we don't want this to happen with a carry piece.

I changed the springs out in one of mine and it operates fine. My others are more "collector" pieces that will stay original. If I want to shoot them, I will, even with the hard DA pull. I very seldon ever shoot DA anyway, so the heavy pull is no problem for me. I think this needs to be a personnal decision for the owner as we have given the good and bad points of changing springs.
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Abwehr, great post. If Truth wants it "his way", that's his business. After this, I hope he stops trying to convince members who carry, to do so with a less effective version of this fine piece. And for those who plink only, shoot it the hard way, or make it more enjoyable. Your choice.
For those who are collector concious, they are probably not even going to shoot these, and for those who want to sell theirs as "original", they can always put the old spring back, though I imagine they'll get less money for it.
Last edited by b52stan on July 26th, 2006, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truth

Post by truth »

Great, but after other ammo was available the DA remains the same until the gun went out of production. Sorry to offend you, but when I read about clips dropping and other problems, it just seems silly to me.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

truth,

Yea, I wondered why they left the heavy spring in myself, but I thought it was since the pistol was probably fired SA most of the time, why change and have another part in inventory. In previous posts, "bartos" said they did use the DA for practice and target shooting. Honestly, if I was in a combat situation with the P-64, I would use like the US .45 ACP, Single Action.