How to carry...

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
robalan

Re: How to carry...

Post by robalan »

hardcorekeith wrote:For those who carry without a chambered round, just wondering: do you also carry your revolvers with the first chamber empty? Or perhaps both the one under the hammer, and the next one too. Hmm.
I am not sure what they do, but when I carry a revolver I have all chambers loaded. There is a movie named the quick and the dead. If those folks don't answer you my guess is they were not as quick as they thought.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

LOL robalan. Most all new revolvers that I know of have some sort of safety device so you can carry a round under the hammer. Especially on the transfer bar safeties. Others have a locking hammer so it can't go all the way forward unless the hammer is pulled and it's on its forward stroke (rebounding hammer). Even with my old S&W pre-model 10, I carry all cylinders loaded in it. It was originally a .38 S&W CTG but converted over to .38 Spl.
robalan

Post by robalan »

juniustaylor wrote:LOL robalan. Most all new revolvers that I know of have some sort of safety device so you can carry a round under the hammer. Especially on the transfer bar safeties. Others have a locking hammer so it can't go all the way forward unless the hammer is pulled and it's on its forward stroke (rebounding hammer). Even with my old S&W pre-model 10, I carry all cylinders loaded in it. It was originally a .38 S&W CTG but converted over to .38 Spl.
You took me wrong. I was trying to say folks not putting a bullet in the chamber of an autoloader must be dead if they did not answer that fellows reply. In other words it takes too much time to cycle a bullet. When I have a revolver it is fully loaded and the same goes when I carry an autoloader (6+1 for the P64).
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

robalan wrote:
juniustaylor wrote:LOL robalan. Most all new revolvers that I know of have some sort of safety device so you can carry a round under the hammer. Especially on the transfer bar safeties. Others have a locking hammer so it can't go all the way forward unless the hammer is pulled and it's on its forward stroke (rebounding hammer). Even with my old S&W pre-model 10, I carry all cylinders loaded in it. It was originally a .38 S&W CTG but converted over to .38 Spl.
You took me wrong. I was trying to say folks not putting a bullet in the chamber of an autoloader must be dead if they did not answer that fellows reply. In other words it takes too much time to cycle a bullet. When I have a revolver it is fully loaded and the same goes when I carry an autoloader (6+1 for the P64).
I understood what you was saying. I laughed at the comment about them being dead if they didn't reply. I was simply commenting that while new revolvers have safety devices, some "old-timers" are still wary and still carry them with an empty chamber under the hammer. That's all I meant. I think it's pointless to carry a revolver with an empty chamber, when are you really going to "drop" your pistol enough to cause it to AD. If you do, you're just clumsy and shouldn't even have the pistol in the first place.
SAS Mayhem

Post by SAS Mayhem »

Altho I don't have one of these P-64 yet, I will carry it like my 1911, condition 1, full with one in the chamber, safety on.
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

i'm so hardcore that I carry with two in the chamber.
hunterkev

Post by hunterkev »

My safety is hard to flip up all the way.If I push it up just a little way it looks like the hammer block is still engaged and trigger is not.I carry it like this with one .in the chamber. Easy to get safety up to fire. Any thoughts?
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Lots of folks carry it on Fire with one in the chamber, hunterkev. Otherwise, you can try taking your safety apart and polish the contact points. I'm sure other folks have even cut a coil off the spring to lighten it up.
Arik

Post by Arik »

I'm a lefty so I dont even use my safety. I carry it on fire and one in the chamber and treat it as a SA.
stover

Post by stover »

Condition 0. One is the chamber with safety off.
On the belt, inside the belt or inside the pants in a cheap NRA belt slide holster:

http://www.nrastore.com/nra/Product.asp ... 0324%20BLK

Or in the pocket with a Nemesis pocket holster. Used to use a clip-draw but it is on my Kel-Tec now.
That cheap NRA holster is becoming my favorite, it works for the P64, Makarov, and my Tokarev.
68polishp64

Post by 68polishp64 »

I carry 6+1 with safety off in my Crossbread Mini-Tuck holster. But that's only because my safety is starting to fail and you never wanna be stuck when needing to fire.
WTx

Post by WTx »

I recently signed up for a concealed carry class in March. I have put a great deal of thought into how I will carry. Hip, leg, pocket, pouch, etc. Also, 5+1, 6+1, etc. At this point I do not know how comfortable I am carrying with a chambered round. I realize this will put me at a disadvantage in a quick draw situation but I don't want any accidents at the same time. Not saying I would not eventually carry with a chambered round but maybe I need to build my comfort level. My plan is to use either the leg or pocket holster on an average day and a pouch for hiking or similar situation. 6+0 safety off.

There are so many considerations when carrying. Any advice from the experienced is appreciated.
Curly1
Elite member
Elite member

Post by Curly1 »

I carry P64 chambered with safety on, the safety blocks the hammer so no problems there.

Here is a recent thread with the downside of carrying the P64 chambered with the safety off.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4378

Carry around the house first with snap caps loaded to get the feel of it while practicing drawing and releasing the safety, rinse and repeat.

Decocking loading/unloading with snap caps helps me get familiar with a new weapon. I never carry a new piece until I have shot it at the range. And never shoot it at the range for the first time until I have made myself familiar with the piece as stated.

My self I don't do ankle or fanny pacs mostly IWB or OWB carry. Sometimes a small auto in an inside leather coat pocket.

Best IWB I have found recently is the Remora Holster.

Think you have time to chamber a round, check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife#p/u/13/syxrpLbaEuY
Laugh Hard and Often.

Gary
badgerjfr

Post by badgerjfr »

have to agree with curly. 6+1 safety on. IWB holster at 4 o'clock position. it doesnt take much to get used to the safety. you can slap it with your thumb as your pulling it out, and it makes me feel safer knowing the firing pin is blocked.
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right,
but the heart of the fool to the left." -Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)
RobsTV

Post by RobsTV »

Trying the one in the chamber with safety on, and ran into a problem.

Preparing to fire, turned off safety, cocked hammer, and the gun instantly went off. Pistol jumped out of my hand onto ground. As usual, it was safely pointed downrange. I am almost positive hammer was all the way back to click and did not slip, or it happened while I was still pulling back the hammer. It was almost as if the firing pin was stuck and released after moving safety lever, striking primer. Nothing seems unusual, and no issues firing after that. Safety lever moves properly and looks like all is working like it is supposed to.

Prior to this, I did replace firing pin spring and recoil spring, as well as safety catch.
Tested a couple times at the range, and all seemed to work well.

It just seems that everytime I mess with the safety, something else goes wrong.
First time I tried original safety, the safety catch it broke in half later that day, which was before I replaced any springs. Now this happens the second time I depend on the use of safety, not just during tests..