New P-64 owner

Info, pictures, advice...
Shane333

New P-64 owner

Post by Shane333 »

Just bought my P-64 from Cabelas on Monday. The first pistol brought out was filthy so the salesman offered to go back and bring out a box from the bottom of the pile. Second pistol looked terrific so I got it. $179+ tax.

Took it apart and cleaned it yesterday. Hardly any cosmoline, just some burnt powder residue that needed to be cleaned off of the inside of the slide, mostly. I intend to order some replacement springs soon, for the recoil and the trigger pull.

I'll try to get some pictures soon.

Only problem is that one of the magazines, which looks new, has problems. It is nearly impossible to chamber a cartridge. The bullet comes about halfway out of the magazine, nose entering the chamber, and then gets stuck. It just won't strip from the magazine lips or something. I end up having to pull the slide off and using something to pry the bullet up and forward out of the magazine and into the chamber. When I try the second (more used) magazine the bullets feed just fine. Oh, I was using SilverBear FMJ 9x18 to test it. I'm going to take the problematic magazine apart too see if there's any cosmoline or other stuff in there causing problems, but something tells me the problem centers around the feed lip area. Holding the two magazines side by side I can't see any obvious differences.
Arik

Re: New P-64 owner

Post by Arik »

Try cleaning the heck out of it. Could be cosmoline. Purple power works good and is sold at pep boys, along with other "degreasers" or if you dont want to spend money and you already have a bottle of trans fluid, it works too! Any one of those and a toothbrush should do the trick.
robalan

Post by robalan »

I bought some new mags awhile back. They were doing the same thing. I loaded them up with 6 and let them sit for a few weeks. They are working now. Also, I do not like playing with live ammo so I used A-Zoom Snap Caps before using the real thing. :-)

Here are the break in instructions on the mag package:
1. Load two rounds, point in safe direction and fire both rounds.
2. Load three rounds, point in safe direction and fire all three rounds.
3. If you experience any failures repeat #1 and #2.
4. Load four rounds, point in safe direction and fire all four rounds.
5. Load five rounds, point in safe direction and fire all five rounds.
6. If you experience any failures repeat #4 and #5.
7. Load six rounds, point in safe direction and fire.
8. Repeat steps #1 through #7 until all steps are successful three times.
9. Your magazine is now broken in for your gun.
Shane333

Post by Shane333 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll clean it thoroughly and then let the magazine sit loaded for a few weeks to help it break in before using it again. Oh, and thanks for the snap cap suggestion. I'll go look for some.
robalan

Post by robalan »

Shane333 wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I'll clean it thoroughly and then let the magazine sit loaded for a few weeks to help it break in before using it again. Oh, and thanks for the snap cap suggestion. I'll go look for some.
Shop around for the best price. I do know Midwayusa has them:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=967687