My P64 Bit Me!!!!

Info, pictures, advice...
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Re: My P64 Bit Me!!!!

Post by juniustaylor »

I make it a practice to "reset" my hold after every couple shots. Pay attention to where the web of your thumb/index finger is before squeezing that trigger. I haven't put an extensive amount of rounds through mine, but from what I have shot, I haven't been bit yet.
pursuit

Post by pursuit »

It did bite me during a quick run of shots. I just have to be more careful I guess.
pjsammon

Post by pjsammon »

My son got a bite just below first triggerfinger joint on a DA pull last weekend.
Weasel640
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by Weasel640 »

pjsammon wrote:My son got a bite just below first triggerfinger joint on a DA pull last weekend.
So between the trigger finger and middle finger? That's odd. Any clue how that happened?

Weasel
kargo27

Post by kargo27 »

The slide didn't get me but I was changing out my springs and the trigger guard slipped from the "out" position and nipped my middle finger on the fingerpad area pretty bad!

Watch where your fingers are during a takedown!
Karl
Ft. Worth, TX

"If you've denied a person the means of self-defense, then you've also denied them the right of self-defense." Alan Gottlieb, Founder, Second Amendment Foundation.
czwolf

Post by czwolf »

Mine has done it too. though really its only marks from the slide slipping over my hand.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Any .22, .25, .32, .380; 9x18 or 9x19 single action/double action concealed carry pistole will give you a battle wound if you don't pay attention to what you are doing, I personally have four. Pay attention and practice alot, you will get used to shooting it with out the aowee's. If the time comes to use it for its designed purpose you will be happy you did, new scar or not............
G.R.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

+1 with gunneyrabbit, I couldn't agree more. I will also say that the P-64 and other small pistols can bit you, but generally speaking its because of the way you are holding the weapon. I have owned 5 P-64's over the years and I didn't experence any bits while shooting or breakingit down . The P-64 is not a recoil friendly pistol especially after a few hundred rounds, but I didn't find it necessary to change any springs, only grips and a lot of "point shooting" pracitce, for me the sights are pretty much useless with my old eyes, besides the P-64 is not a target pistol, its a SD pistol and a fun plinker. To each their own for how they want to accoressorise their P-64. I do find it intersting that so many are now making a statement about the P-64 biting them, a few in the past would mention it but nothing like now....Image, just my thoughts not trying to offend anyone.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

papabear wrote:I do find it intersting that so many are now making a statement about the P-64 biting them, a few in the past would mention it but nothing like now....Image, just my thoughts not trying to offend anyone.
I agree. We used to hear about it every once in a while, but now it seems pretty common. I'm not sure why that is.

It's also become the norm for people to swap springs and grips without even firing the gun stock - which is something I totally disagree with. My springs and grips are from Poland, and I see no need to change them.

I think the best way to get acquainted with the P64 is:

Detail strip and clean your gun of all cosmoline, dirt, powder, and debris. This means removing parts, like it or not. Lube properly. Understand how it works. This will provide you with better knowledge to troubleshoot in the future if need be.

• Go to the range and put a couple hundred down the pipe and see what smooths out over some break-in rounds. Try different ammo (not Wolf!), and see what yields the best accuracy and reliability. The trigger does improve with rounds shot!

• Decide what should be altered and why. I think the recoil spring and fp spring replacement is unnecessary; I do understand why some folks prefer to change the mainspring. If you do opt to replace the mainspring, go for the 18 pounder. Experience on this board has shown that it's the best option for reliability and function.