Replacing the mainspring for lighter DA pull

Previous Sticky Threads and other good info. Check this out first!
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

OK ... this is actually really simple, but don't blame me if I leave a step out

0. Put on your safety glasses ... you are working with compressed springs here so don't be foolish!
1. Remove the magazine and make sure that the pistol is unloaded.
2. Recheck to make sure that the pistol is really unloaded.
3. Lower the hammer to take tension off of the mainspring
4. Find a screwdriver that fits the grip screw and remove the screw.
5. Gently pry the grips off of the frame ... the first time they come off, they can be a little tough ... just go slowly and all will be well ... you shouldn't need tools to get them to come off.
6. Find the pin about which the mag release pivots.
7. Take your 1/16" punch and push that pin out. If you don't have a set of punches, get a set of "Pistol Smith Punches" from MidwayUSA (part #482764) or some such outfit ... they are cheap (11.50 or less) and worth the price!
8. Wiggle the mag release until it comes out ... there is a little tension on the mainspring, but not too much.
9. When the mag release latch comes out, the mainspring will just slide off of its retaining pin.
10. Slide the new spring on and label the old one with a piece of tape so you don't lose track of it.
11. Put the mag release latch back in place (You can use the same punch used in step 7 to help align the holes) I've never needed 3 hands, but it does help to have something that you can push against.
12. Replace the mag release pivot pin
13. Replace the grips.
14. Replace the grip screw.
15. Admire the improvement in your P64 ...

None of the pins that I have seen have required a hammer to remove, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any out there.

Hope this helps ...

From Saands
For pictures on this fix, go HERE
Last edited by dfunk on November 6th, 2005, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
polyanarch

Post by polyanarch »

I replaced the mainsprings on both of my P-64's before I ever took them to the range for the first time. In fact, the springs arrived before I got the guns from AIM.

Wolfe is a great company to deal with. They ship FAST and they have good prices.

Switching the spring was simple. Keep an eye out for how the spring retaining pin goes up into the grip frame to contact the hammer so you can put it in right. The Wolff spring is longer than the stock stiff monster. It takes a little bit of patience to get the mag release onto the pin without the spring boinging out.

Watch that the hammer pivot pin doesn't fall out and require even more reassembly since there is no tension on it to hold it.

Also, keep an eye on the trigger hinge pin which might work out anytime the slide is removed and spin. If you try and reassemble the slide to the frame with that pin out of place it will get jammed up pretty good and take a vise and a piece of wood to extract the two assemblies.

Good luck!

My DA trigger pull is nice, easy and usable now. SA is very crisp with only the over-travel which there isn't any fix for that I know of.
butch50

Post by butch50 »

Something that I noticed when I changed out my spring was that there was a spacer on top of the spring - like a thick washer. I removed it and did not replace it when I put the new spring back in, and it worked just fine.

Anyone else find that spacer in theirs? Did you reinstall it?
raypol

Post by raypol »

I used a Walther PP 16# mainspring to replace mine and it went in without any trimming and I did re use the little washer. Really made a difference in the trigger pull.
I sent an email to Wolff Gunsprings a week or so ago and asked about them making a recoil spring for the P64 and they told me that it was on the list of things to do. So, maybe someday we'll get a spring that fits.

Raypol

Something that I noticed when I changed out my spring was that there was a spacer on top of the spring - like a thick washer. I removed it and did not replace it when I put the new spring back in, and it worked just fine.

Anyone else find that spacer in theirs? Did you reinstall it?
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Hey polyanarch, you forgot to mention which spring to order.
Any idea what the DA pull wt. was reduced to?
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

b52stan,
If you visit the web site, [url=http://p64.home.insightbb.com,]http://p64.home.insightbb.com,[/url] you will have access to complete instructions on how to replace the mainspring (there are even nice step-by-step pictures). Glad to have you here!
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

And for raypol, your spring sound like one for me, but have you tested it at the range? I'm waiting for one that doesn't need the "gunsmith trim", and really functions reliably with ammo.
This one sounds encouraging. Please let us know.
Stan
bankerbilly

Post by bankerbilly »

Need some help please . .

On my "1973" I removed the mainspring and clipped-off one and one-half coils and reinstalled.

Took the pistol to the range and noticed that every 10-12 rounds or so the mag would "drop down". In other words the mag release would let-go and the mag would drop.

Never had any problems with light primer hits, just that the mag release would let go.

If I was to install the 16 pound Wolff spring do you think I would have the same problem ?

Thanks !
raypol

Post by raypol »

B.B.,
You didn't say whether you have had this problem before you cut your hammer spring or how much you had shot the pistol before you cut the spring. If I were you , I would spend the $4.75 plus shipping for a Wolff Gunsprings # 25816 hammer spring for a Walther PPK and put it in your gun. DON'T CUT IT. Springs have a designed travel length and when you cut them you modify the maximun energy potential of the spring. If you shorten the hammer spring it is running out of energy at the end of it's travel before the hammer hits bottom. You want the spring to still be compressed into it's full energy area when the hammer hits the primer. What may be happening is the hammer spring is the magazine release spring too and it doesn't have enough compression left when the hammer is down to keep the magazine locked if there is some unusual pressure on the magazine occasionally.

jpb

ps: there is a little washer under the hammer spring, be sure to put it back in.
Last edited by raypol on November 26th, 2005, 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bankerbilly

Post by bankerbilly »

Thanks JPB ! !

My little P-64 always ran fine, until I clipped off the spring (and that little washer is in place). Must have approx 300 rounds thru it.

I've ordered from Wolff several times in the past, so it looks like it's time to order again.

Thanks again for the reply ! ;D
mikethewreck

Post by mikethewreck »

You weren't kidding about Wolff springs quick service! Got springs already!
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

Please let us know the results of the spring replacement, to include the one you like. Would also like to know the effect on the already light SA pull.
Thanks,
Stan
raypol

Post by raypol »

Please let us know the results of the spring replacement, to include the one you like. Would also like to know the effect on the already light SA pull.
Thanks,
Stan
I have the Wolff 16# PP spring in my 1968 P64 and the SA pull is 3 1/2 to 4# average over 5 pulls. As for the range results of the spring change, never a misfire. The primer dents are as good as the original. It makes the gun real comfortable to shoot.

jpb
Last edited by raypol on December 5th, 2005, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blsnelling

Post by blsnelling »

I received a 13, 14, & 16# spring in the mail today. I haven't fired it yet but think the 13# will work fine. I'll check back after doing so.
bankerbilly

Post by bankerbilly »

Well . . . here's my 2 cents . . .

Placed an order from Wolff and had my order in only five days !

I ordered, amoung other things, 16# and 18# Walther springs.

I installed the 16# spring and thought it seemed a little "light" so installed the 18# spring and headed to the range.

Spring change worked GREAT ! ! Fired 18 rounds double-action and 30 rounds single action. Ammo was Silver Bear and Brown Bear.

Mag never let go and all primer hits were "good and solid".

Pistol is much easier to fire double action now. Not perfect, but MUCH nicer !

Thanks to everyone for all the info ! !

By the way . . .

I now have three Wolff 16# springs that are no longer needed. If anyone wants to try this "fix", I'll sell these spring for $5.00 each, delivered.

If interested let me know.

Thanks again to all ! !