Ejection after 22lb Spring!!??

Info, pictures, advice...
pursuit

Ejection after 22lb Spring!!??

Post by pursuit »

At the range yesterday my P64 was launching casings at least 10 or 12 feet after I installed the 22 lb spring. Is this the usual with this switch? I am shooting silver bear hp.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ejection after 22lb Spring!!??

Post by dfunk »

Yep, it's typical that brass will get launched into a different zip code with the heavier recoil spring. I encourage you to try it without the new spring - I personally don't see a need for it.
boomer

Post by boomer »

You also have got to be very concerned about timing also. That is why Wolff sends that extra power firing pin spring as well. This is so you don't shear of the tip of the firing pin with a increased force. The heavy firing pin spring pulls the pin back quicker for the faster action that is slinging your brass further.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

Like boomer said, it keeps your primers from getting "drag marks" which ultimately can destroy your firing pin. Then you'd be SOL unless Harrington finally decides to make some replacement parts for the '64.
boomer

Post by boomer »

In my testing, I have found the 20/20 combo to be the best suited for the P 64 pistol with today's ammunition and keeping the single action trigger pull under reasonable control.

A 20 lb Recoil Spring with a firing pin spring upgrade and a 20 lb Hammer Spring.

There has also been a great deal of speculation about ammo and shoot troughs but no one has addressed the light trigger pull causing a recoil fire, also known as "Bump Firing". This is even more dangerous than shoot through in my opinion.

CCW should not have a trigger pull less than 6 lbs in my opinion. Now in a real gun fight the adrenaline will be flowing like a waterfalls and it won't matter if that trigger pull is 30 lbs. You will never know the difference.

I change out the springs after they have been in service for 2 years if they need it or not. The P 64 has 30 plus year old springs that should never be trusted.

This is just my way of doing things and the auto loader pistol is a very peculiar animal indeed. The prettiest girl at the dance is always the bitchiest also. There is no such thing as a free puppy and if it has tits or tires on it, sooner or later it is going to give you trouble. Just the facts of life as I see them guys.

Boomer