Defensive Ammo

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
amd6547

Defensive Ammo

Post by amd6547 »

Revolvers arn't foolproof either. I was with my pal at the range a couple years ago, and he was shooting his Ruger 6-inch security six, using factory new Federal ammo. The second round he fired in a full cylinder was a squib that pushed the bullet half into the forcing cone, half into the chamber mouth. Locked it up tight, and required a dowel rod and hammer to get it free. Nasty if that happened at the wrong time!
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Defensive Ammo

Post by himmel »

I guess nothing is 100% foolproof at that--that's where those useless little mouse guns come in I guess... ;)
tunnelrat

Defensive Ammo

Post by tunnelrat »

Right now I have my gun loaded with the 115 gr. Silver Bear HP ...
I bought a box of 95 grain Hornady. It's a good round, but it only runs about 950 fps out of a short barrel. That is nothing to shout about at all. On the other hand, the 115 grain Silver Bear skips along at 1050 fps. That's a much heaver bullet at a much higher speed. It should translate into a lot more muzzle energy. Hornady makes some mighty fine ammo, but not in 9x18.

I would dearly love to carry my CZ-52 for self-defense. However, I am afraid that the 85 grain bullet at 1750 fps would not only penetrate the bad guy and his two buddies standing behind him, but would go on breaking windows down the street...

Speaking of the 115 grain Silver Bear at 1050 fps, I was looking through my stuff the other day and found an old box of Corbon 115 grain 9x19. It has a measured muzzle velocity of 1350 fps. So I got out my Kahr P-9 and compared its specs with those of the P-64. I find that the Kahr is smaller in nearly every measurement except barrel length. The Kahr is shorter, thinner, lower in height, weighs less, and has a longer barrel.

Oh, the differences are in tenths and hundredths of an inch, but the Kahr does indeed measure a bit smaller. Plus, we have to keep in mind that the 9x19 is a much more powerful cartridge than the 9x18. So I got my Kahr out and a holster for it, and carried it as my primary for several days.

Sorry guys, I have to confess that specs and measurements aren't everything. After just a couple of days, I put the Kahr back in its nice plastic box and got out the P-64 again. The P-64 is just much easier to carry and much easier to conceal than the Kahr. For deep carry, I may be giving up several hundred feet per second in muzzle velocity, but the P-64 is more likely to be in my waistband than the Kahr...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Defensive Ammo

Post by abwehr »

tunnelrat,

This is good information! As to the difference in fps of a round, I have always looked at it this way.......if I am in a situation, I should be close to my adversary. If I was the adversary, I would not care about the 100 fps difference, because I would not want to be shot with any bullet, fast or slow. At close defensive ranges, a 950 fps round will penetrate well enought for me.

About the Kahr weapons, I think they make a good product. I just wish they were not owned my the "Moonie" cult. I don't want my money going to support them. NOW, this is a personal opinion of mine, so don't jump on me for not liking the Moonies, LOL!!!!

Edit - by the way, guess who likes the Pow R Ball round in the survey so far? No, I won't give a prize to winner, ROFLMAO!
Last edited by abwehr on April 10th, 2006, 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
devlinfaust
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Defensive Ammo

Post by devlinfaust »

Tunnelrat,

Speaking of CZ-52 ammo, have you tried any of the custom 7.62x25 ammo from Reed's Ammunition? I forget how I found their website, but they offer this stuff that they make themselves and it comes in soft nose, FMJ, etc. and it has a bit heavier bullet that makes well over 500fps in muzzle energy. I have had the special springs installed in my CZ-52 to handle it. I thought I had found "the answer" until I shot it in low light once. The muzzle blast at night would be enough to blind everyone (including me) within a three block radius. But, I sure love the feeling of the compressed air when I shoot those. Not quite in the 'magic bullet' category (I really love that term--it fits), I think Reed sells this stuff for around $20 for 50 rounds. I've shot probably close to 200 and had not had a misfire or failure to feed, and they are very accurate. I wish that Reed would make some in 9mm Mak, too.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Defensive Ammo

Post by himmel »

Moonies own Kahr??? Now there's a thought to give pause--I actually spent a weekend with them when I was in law school--Funny thing, they had a farm in the area where I live now--but except for one time, I haven't seen them around since I moved here.. Anyway--TR, I'm with you--some guns just fit easier on that left hip of mine--but in my case, it's my Zastava--I like the p64 for pocket carry, tho--when Christian doesn't have it with the grips off! LOL!
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Defensive Ammo

Post by himmel »

PS--I have to admit, my Zastava is loaded with "magic bullets"--Mag Safes--I feel like at .32 caliber, I need a little extra help...
xelloss

Defensive Ammo

Post by xelloss »

Hopefully Federal will make its new HST hollowpoints in 9x18mm Mak... ;D ;D ;D

-Mark
tunnelrat

Defensive Ammo

Post by tunnelrat »

Speaking of CZ-52 ammo, have you tried any of the custom 7.62x25 ammo from Reed's Ammunition?
The only problem I have with Reed's Ammuniton is that their ammunition is designed to be used with an 18.5 lb recoil spring. I have only just recently installed a 16.5 lb spring for my CZ-52 from Mak.com and it is nearly all I can do to pull the slide back. I'm not at all sure I would be able to function with an 18.5 lb spring! However, Reed's prices are much better than what I have found elsewhere.

I ordered some special made ammo from Quality Cartridge http://www.qual-cart.com/762cz.htm. They are a bit on the expensive side, but they use good quality Hornady XTP bullets and their loading launches them at 1750 fps.
warthog

Defensive Ammo

Post by warthog »

Ranger and Hydra Shoks are all I believe in when it comes to defensive ammo.
I used to load my own with Speer Gold Dot HPs but I decided to have store bought ammo.
I guess I got scared by all the "custom ammo" lawyer crap.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Defensive Ammo

Post by himmel »

Is there anything lawyers can't ruin?? (I can say that better than most, since I are one...)
tunnelrat

Defensive Ammo

Post by tunnelrat »

Is there anything lawyers can't ruin?? (I can say that better than most, since I are one...)
I are one, two.

What do you have that needs ruined...?
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Defensive Ammo

Post by himmel »

I can probably ruin stuff better, because I am also an officious guvmint bureaucrat...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Defensive Ammo

Post by abwehr »

Well, I am glad to see there are a couple of good lawyers anyway. This give me some faith, LOL!
kempin

Defensive Ammo

Post by kempin »

Does anyone happen to know if the corbon or golden sabre bullets are available for reloading?

One of the reasons I like the Hornady ammo for carry, aside form the informal ballistics tests I have run on expansion, is the availability of components for reloading. That way I can actually afford to practice with the ammo I will be carrying, which does a lot for my confidence. I would love to try some of those other premium bullets, but I have not seen them anywhere.

Heck, it is hard enough to find that stuff in loaded ammo.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin