Taurus PT1911 Markings

Photos of guns, gear, ranges, etc.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Taurus PT1911 Markings

Post by papabear »

The lettering on the slide and frame on my Taurus PT1911 was fading fast, I bought it in LNIB condition but have but have used it a lot. It is one of my favorite 45acp to shoot at the range. IMHO, the Taurus PT1911 is fine weapon with lots of extra's, however, the finish is fairly thin and the markings are stamped deep enough but on mine they have begun to fade, so I used some Krylon metallic paint and re-did the markings using a tooth pick and a very small artist brush. It took a few coats to get it dressed up the way I wanted it.

dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Taurus PT1911 Markings

Post by dfunk »

Nice! Is that rear sight standard on those or did you add it?
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

Those are the original Heinie sights that came with it. It was my first set of Heinie sights and it did take a little getting use to, but because the excepted aim point is to aim with the front sight first and keep both eyes open as I usually do it came fairly easy.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

I hear mixed review on these PT1911's, but everything I hear from their owners is positive.
Are those Straight 8 sights or just a standard set?
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

No, they are the standard Hienie sights, I did read up on the Straight 8 sights but the cost and mixed reviews caused me to leave em along and as I posted above, became use to the original Heinie sights that came with it. I use my PT1911 strictly for plinking and target shooting, I don't carry it ever, have several others that I care, mostly I carry a P-64, but I also carry from time to time depending on situations and weather mouse guns, J-frames and I will carry my LW Star PD commander size 45acp if I feel the need for some heavier persuasion.
hardcorekeith

Post by hardcorekeith »

There's a great deal of variance in between the engravings on the Tauruses. It's almost like they use the same bit for way too long before replacing it. We have a used Taurus 92 that we took in trade right next to a new one, and you'd think I'd reversed the tags because the used one has deep, clear, white markings while the new one has shallow, yellow markings.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

hardcorekeith wrote:There's a great deal of variance in between the engravings on the Tauruses. It's almost like they use the same bit for way too long before replacing it. We have a used Taurus 92 that we took in trade right next to a new one, and you'd think I'd reversed the tags because the used one has deep, clear, white markings while the new one has shallow, yellow markings.

Your right, there is a difference, I didn't realize it till you mentioned it, so I got to looking and sure enough, at a out of town shop I saw one that had noticeably deeper markings, I don't know if it was a newer or older model [year] but it had deeper markings.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Very nice Papabear!! But, you missed a spot. LOL!! Just kidding!!!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

rottenrick wrote:Very nice Papabear!! But, you missed a spot. LOL!! Just kidding!!!

Thanks Rick, but you are right, actually I did, I didn't do the SN but that was on purpose.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Still looks good man.
Gregori

Post by Gregori »

Sweet!