Reassembly Issue?

Info, pictures, advice...
stentheawesome

Reassembly Issue?

Post by stentheawesome »

Hey all,

I order a P64 from MGS and I'm having a tough time getting the slide back on after field stripping the pistol. It seems like when I try and let the slide go forward it tries to ride up over the guide rails.

Is there a trick I don't know about to putting these things back together?
stentheawesome

Reassembly Issue?

Post by stentheawesome »

I should probably also mention it is working fine with the old recoil spring. I just tried to replace it with a 20lb one...
stentheawesome

Reassembly Issue?

Post by stentheawesome »

Hey all,

I lightly flattened the spring ends like I suppose you have to do for a 22 lb spring. Seems like it's working now!

The package definitely says 20 lb. Maybe they changed their spring design or I somehow go a 22lb?

Hope this helps anyone who may encounter this again.
tiber1

Reassembly Issue?

Post by tiber1 »

Mine is tough to get back together, but I think that is just because it was unissued and needs a bit of break in
boomer

Reassembly Issue?

Post by boomer »

Just remember that changing recoil springs also changes the pistol's timing with relationship to other springs such as the firing pin, extractor and loaded chamber indicator. It is not as critical in a blow back design as it would be in a locked breech design but it can produce premature parts wear or breakage.

My best advice is to ask the guys that have been experimenting and restoring these pistols for years like Norm or Dick before you venture out on your own. Experience has no substitute!
gearhead

Reassembly Issue?

Post by gearhead »

I have trouble getting mine down over the rails too. Then all of a sudden it just falls into place. I just don't have the knack for it yet.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Reassembly Issue?

Post by blinddog »

I have trouble sometimes myself, I just pull 'er back and push 'er down. Does'nt always work but it sounds good. I think we aren't pulling the slide back far enough, IMO.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Reassembly Issue?

Post by dfunk »

When I reassemble, I take great care to make sure the barrel clears the slide. More often than not when the slide feels like it's getting stuck, it is on the crown.
jbradshaw3

Reassembly Issue?

Post by jbradshaw3 »

I have noticed on mine that sometimes the slide stop lever on the left side sticks out just a little bit. This puts a bind on the slide that won't allow it to seat. I just make sure it's flush with the rest of the frame as I am putting the slide on.
If they think they can take my guns, they are wrong......I will own them until the day I die. Never be afraid or ashamed to protect your rights.