ammo for home protection?

Info, pictures, advice...
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

I don't use 9x18 ammo for home protection. I use 20 gauge, 45acp, 357mag, 9mm, 38 spl +P, depending on where I am when there is a home invasion. For carry purposes, I use Silver Bear JHP in my P-64 and Hornady XTP in my Makarovs. In the winter, I use Bear FMJ in my P-64 to compensate for heavier clothing. The Hornady rounds simply aren't reliable in either of my P-64's.
brock123

Post by brock123 »

I have 115gr federal hydra shocks in my 9mm in the dresser and 3 inch 1 1/4oz hornday magnum slugs in my 12 gauge in the closet. For carry I have 9x18 silver bear hollow points.

Edit:
Hasting slugs not hornday. I original tried hornday but I couldn't get them to group. Was about 12" at 100 yards.
Last edited by brock123 on January 31st, 2010, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flejl

Post by flejl »

Right now I use 115grn FMJ in my Hi Power.

Once I get comfortable with my P64, I'll probably use Silver Bear 95grn JHP since I already bought 1000 rounds for our Bulgarian and East German Makarovs.
boomer

Post by boomer »

Well in my opinion, nothing will get the attention of a bad guy quicker than the sound of a Mossberg 500 Pump racking a round, then that awesome boom when the trigger is pulled.

No aiming, no night sights, just problem solved!
primarchbentley

Post by primarchbentley »

00-buck in a 10 round magazine in the Saiga 12. Sure it's not the same sound as a traditional pump action, but an AK action makes a pretty satisfying sound when racked too. ;)

Same 9x18 S&B FMJs in my P-64 as what I carry during the day; I'd rather have a bit of over penetration with an FMJ 9x18 than worry about JHP possibly not getting full recommended penetration. If I want JHP penetration, the CZ-75B next to my bed is loaded with 16+1 124gr +P Remington Golden Sabers.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

My wife has a 870 20 ga. loaded with buck an' slug, a S&W J frame. I have a 9mm FIE HI-PWR clone (great pistol) loaded with 'Silver Tips', backed up by a Mossberg 500. There's a gun in every room. P-64 is in my leather daypack with mag carrier, loaded Speer Gold Dot's, plus 50 rds. When you're rural like we are you can't be too careful. Alarm/early warning system is three 'Biscuit Eater's, two outside, one inside. Only one will hurt you. You decide which one, she stay's at momma's side. Follows her like a shadow. Momma doesn't wear combat boot's, but she should. I'm reading up on loading Flechette shot gun rounds, because of the dense forrest surrounding me and my land. State law says I can't buy them. Law doesn't say I can't make them.
95south

Post by 95south »

If I was looking for the best 9x18 JHP round out there, which one would it be??? I have only used Wolf and Brown Bear for target practice but now I'm thinking of using a P-64 for carry and was wondering about ammo selection in JHP. Can't seem to find many options out there (ammo is still scarce) specially in JHP. Thanks.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

95, there is some 'Silver bear' out there, I've got a couple of boxes, it's still available. I've got 200rds of hornady VERY SCARCE. What I did was order from Georgia Arms near ATL. The lead time is quite long, but it's brass,boxer primed, Speer Gold Dot's. Just be ready, for the responses telling you NOT to use Wolf, cause it's coming. Silverbear is ok', but Id rather one of those I mentioned earlier. But, ya, got what you got. If you're going to order from say cheaper than dirt or cabela's in on back order. Get your orders in now, or find someone who reloads, that will do it for you. A couple here special ordered molds for cast slugs. But, if you're like me while I'd be inclined to play with it. My time, job, and location doesn't make re-loading a good option. Welcome and good luck!! P.s. Save your brass cases.
Last edited by rottenrick on February 2nd, 2010, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brock123

Post by brock123 »

I just got 5 boxs of silver bear from here. Looks like they are still in stock. http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/ ... point-ammo
Also, J&G had some not to long ago might still be in stock there too.
boomer

Post by boomer »

In my opinion, in a home invasion situation a pistol and adrenaline are not a suitable combination.

There is nothing like a 18.5 inch open barrel Mossberg 500/12 gauge pump shotgun that can be had used for around $200.00 bucks or new for around for $300.00. The 00 buckshot equal nine 9 mm projectiles going at the aggressor at every trigger pull. Three blasts of a 12 gauge in 00 buck will stop the highest stoned junkie in the world. We used them in Vietnam and now in the sand box with remarkable results. Plus ammunition for them is plentiful and not expensive. You also don't need night sights or all those other useless gadgets we are bombarded with for handguns by aftermarket profiteering companies. Any flashlight and 00 buck will take care of just about any home invasion situation. Cleaning up the horrible mess is another story!