replacement firing pins - views?

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
jebib3

Post by jebib3 »

With the understanding that the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked: is it reasonable to expect a skilled "machinist" with all the proper tools to be able to make a replacement firing pin for the p-64 pistol? Just as importantly would it be feasible? Finally, what kind of price would something like this command?
ronbuick

Post by ronbuick »

Anyone, thanks.

Ron
Ron Neisler, Emmett, Idaho
jeepman3366

Post by jeepman3366 »

i would pay 20 dollars, beats the paper weight i have know
Never argue with an idiot, they pull you down their level and beat you with experence.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

jeepman3366
it would coast more than that just to turn the lathe on , in today's prices

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

You're probably looking at more money than the gun cost you, if you only buy one. If it was put on a screw machine and a few hundred of them were run, it would probably only cost twice as much to do a few hundred as to do one.

If you find a hobbyist with a Sherline in their garage, use 1074 or 1080 and heat treat it.
Last edited by gearhead on January 11th, 2010, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
juniustaylor
Elite member
Elite member

Post by juniustaylor »

I'd almost be half tempted, if it were my gun, to look at several different firing pins and try to modify one to suit my needs. Some may disagree, but I don't see what can be hurt by finding a firing pin similar in shape that you can file to create the spring base and the little knob on the side that contacts the safety. I don't suppose you'd even need the knob on the side since some folks say they don't even use the safety on their 9x18's. In that case, you just find one real close, proper length, make it uniform down the length, and use it. I'm just throwing that idea out there. I have a good friend that builds paintball guns. He helped me cut my Mosin-Nagant barrel down & recrown on his lathe and drill the scope mount holes on his mill. It's just finding a friend or acquaintance that is experience in machining and coming up with an agreement on a price. Plus, if he got good at it, he could offer to sell these firing pins and probably make a good profit to make up for his effort. It'd be win-win. I'd think somewhere around $20 would be a reasonable price.
Last edited by juniustaylor on February 10th, 2010, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
US Air Force Veteran - OEF/OIF