What Ammo feeds / doesn't feed in your P64

Info, pictures, advice...
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

So far I have tried the following:

<table border="1"><tr><td>Brand</td><td>Rounds fired</td><td>Duds</td><td>Bad feeds</td></tr><tr><td>CCI</td><td>200</td><td>0</td><td>2</td></tr><tr><td>Hornady</td><td>25</td><td>0</td><td>0</td></tr><tr><td>Silver Bear</td><td>50</td><td>1</td><td>0</td></tr><tr><td>Wolf</td><td>250</td><td>2 or 3</td><td>more than 15</td></tr></table>

My P64 really doesn't like the Wolf ammo. I have polished the feed port, tried different mags etc..

To be fair, last time at the range (with the Wolf ammo) I was bitten by the slide a lot, which may be why all the bad feeds.

Going back to the range this weekend and try again making sure my fat hands are out of the way and I'm gripping the gun firmly etc..

I'll also take along my 2nd P64 which I have only put 6 rounds through and see if it has the same problems.
Last edited by space on March 22nd, 2006, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saands

Post by saands »

I'm a little surprised to see that you are having so many misfeeds, but I'm DISTURBED that you having so many "duds" ... do these fire when struck a second time?

What mainspring do you have installed? If it is a Walther PP replacement, you probably want to look at getting one that is at least a couple of pounds heavier. Personally, I'd like to have a mainspring that is a pound heavier than the lightest that will fire 100%

Good luck,
Saands
steve98664

Post by steve98664 »

Thanks for the information! I have tried RAM FMJ, RAM HP, Wolf FMJ, and S&B FMJ. The only thing that feeds reliably for me is S&B FMJ. RAM FMJ does ok.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I have been using the standard Wolf FMJ Ammo and mine have given no problems so far. I had a couple of misfeed when they were new, but after a magazine, they are flawless.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

I went and shot 150 rounds last night. In my newer 73 model, there were zero bad feeds. In the 69, there were several but I was shooting that first and once I started making sure that the slide didn't hit my hand and after gripping the gun a little tighter, things seemed to be much improved.

All of the "duds" fired when inserted a second time.

This was done using Wolf ammo. Both guns are stock.....I like them that way
Last edited by space on March 24th, 2006, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
mongo

Post by mongo »

zero misfeeds after the first box (pistol break in)

polish your feed ramp/strap/chamber area with a dremel polish head and some Turtle Wax polishing compound NOT the red can shit.. the green can. It will stay shiney for ever and oil will bead on it it is such a hard shiney finish.

Check all metal to metal touch points for grabbing, gauling, any burns and get rid of them.

Do that and your problems will be gone.

Hornady, silver bear, corbon glaser and wolf shot here most 2 boxes each, a lot of wolf.
Last edited by mongo on March 24th, 2006, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I have to agree with "mongo", this small amount of work will make the pistol much better in feeding. When these were manufactured, Poland was under Communist rule and work was work with less regard to quality. I feel the P-64 is one of the better build firearms, but any military weapon will perform better for us with a little polishing to surfaces.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

I haven't fired mine much, but I have't had any misfeeds with the low-cost Russian ammo I use (Monarch and another, direct-from-Russia brand that i can't recall just now)
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

I did polish the feed ramp with a dremel tool using metal polish (flitz) and the buffing wheel. I didn't want to take off any amount of metal, just smooth and polish it. It's really shiny now.

I took the slide off, stuck a clip of ammo in and "fed" it with my finger. It seems to hang up on the lip of the cartridge entering the chamber.

Should I "take the edge off" the ramp to chamber area ? I don't mind polishing things because it shouldn't be possible to make it any worse. Taking off actual metal is irreversible.

I assume the more I shoot it, it will wear down the transition point (lip between the feed ramp and barrel, see below) anyway.

Last edited by space on March 24th, 2006, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saands

Post by saands »

be VERY cautious removing material from that location as it is already the least supported part of the chamber. That being said, there might be a burr there and all it would take is the romoval of a hair of material ... THAT, I would do without hesitation.

Just take that one really slowly ...
Saands
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

Whoo Hoo.....

I went to WalMart last night and got some different Dremel polishing pads, some polishing compound (Dremel) and some Turtle Wax polsihing compound (Green can, not red).

I polished the feed ramp with the Dremel polishing compound and finished it off with the Turtle wax. Looks like a mirror now.

Just got back from the range. There were ZERO problems with 100 rounds of Wolf ammo. It will feed rocks now. ;D ;D
Last edited by space on March 25th, 2006, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
p64

Post by p64 »

Hornady Hollow Points = 0 failure to feed, 0 misfire/no fire
S&B FMJ = failure to feed on every mag, duds 2-3 per box (2 boxes)
Fiocchi FMJ = 0 failure to feed, 0 misfire/no fire

I was very surprised as I would expect more problems with the hollow points and the S&B ammo fires with no problems in my .45

Any others experiencing problems with the 9x18 ammo from S&B?
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

CCI, Wolf, Silver Bear ---No failures of any kind.
warthog

Post by warthog »

I have had zero problems with the Wolf so far. at least 250 rounbds through the p64s
I also have no trouble with the Hornady HPs.
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

I've used 100 grain Wolf and 115 grain Silver Bear in reasonable quantities -- easily several hundred rounds total. I've not had any problems at all. I've had no trouble feeding, or ejecting, and not even all that much trouble with recoil (I just fuss about it a lot...).

I've also experimented a bit with a friend's handloads. He's been setting a 95 grain Hornady JHP over 4.0 grains of alliant bullseye. It's a handful, makes a lot of noise and flash, but it skips the pellet out there at just above 1,000 fps.

He's also done a similar loading with 4.2 grains. The muzzle velocity doesn't seem to increase proportionately, but the report and the muzzle flash do. I suspect that 4.0 is going to be the limit in a blowback action. But even with these hotter hollow point loads I've had no trouble feeding. My P-64 is every bit as reliable as my Makarov.