PA-63???

Info, pictures, advice...
jak47

PA-63???

Post by jak47 »

YES - I will be buying a P-64 soon!! ;D But I was wondering if anyone owns a Hungarian PA-63? SOG has them for $139.95 and, if they're any good, I was interested in maybe picking one up.

Right now I have a Baikal .380 and I LOVE it. I want an EG in the 9X18 but right now... Also, where's a good place to get a P-64? I think they were on SOG or AIM but I don't see them now.

Any info for this noobie is appreciated.

Thanks,
jAK-47
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

PA-63???

Post by himmel »

I saw P64s at
http://64.82.96.51/pistols.htm
for $175 just now :)
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

PA-63???

Post by space »

Looked at the FEG PA-63 a week or so ago. A little bigger than the P64 and fits my hand better (won't get bitten by the slide) but the mag didn't go in and out smoothly. The dealer had two of them and they were both acted the same way.

It was a lot lighter than the P-64 and looks cool with the aluminum frame and black slide but it just had a "cheaper" feel to it.

They wanted $220 for the PA-63 (only 1 mag) and $190 for the P-64 (2 mags, book and cleaning rod)......Bought the P-64 (my second one)

BTW: Just went to SOG and they still list the P64 on the surplus gun page at http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplushandguns.html

PA-63 listed on their main page at http://www.southernohiogun.com/
Last edited by space on March 22nd, 2006, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saands

PA-63???

Post by saands »

I got a PA-63 quite a while ago at a time when there weren't any Makarovs available and I wanted something like that for my collection. At the time it was the smallest pistol I had and I liked it well enough. I won't feed the longer 9x18 rounds (like anything 115gr) but maybe that's OK cuz it stings when it recoils (pretty lightweight pistol with its Al frame). Other than the 115gr stuff, mine will feed and fire any other 9x18 configuration including my 95gr XTP-HP handloads. Given that you can get P64's for close to the same price, I can't see any reason to get a PA-63 unless you want a Hungarian pistol for your collection instead of (or in addition to) a Polish one. IMHO, the P64 (especially with flat grips) beats the PA-63 in every way except mag capacity.

Saands
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

PA-63???

Post by space »

Not to mention all the stuff you can get from Bartos and others on this site for the P64. (see the Buy-Sell section)
mongo

PA-63???

Post by mongo »

Not impressed with the PA63 as a carry unit. Nice for a collector though.
p64pro

PA-63???

Post by p64pro »

jak47

to me, the PA-63 just doesn't feel like it will hold up like the P-64. I've never owned one but put about 100 rounds through 2 different ones.
Also, I just checked and S.O.G. still has them for $139 OR $129 FOR 2 OR MORE
stibnite

PA-63???

Post by stibnite »

Hi guys -

Sorry if I'm hijacking this topic for a second. How does one go about buying a pistol from somewhere like SOG, AIM, etc.? I do know of a local pawnshop that will do FFL transfers for $25. Just wondering the procedure you have to go thru to the whole purchase, and receiving the pistol.

Thanks,

stib
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

PA-63???

Post by space »

Yep, need to do the FFL thing.

Ask your local gun shop to order one for you or ask them to do the FFL transfer. Sounds like they are the same but the FFL transfer route puts the paperwork crap in your lap.
saands

PA-63???

Post by saands »

My experience has been that the price will vary if you buy it and they transfer it for you or if they buy it and sell it to you. In the former, there is no sales tax, in the latter there is. But, more importantly, in the former there is no risk on thier part while in the latter there is. My FFL will transfer anything for a flat fee, but will charge 10% (maybe mroe on a low priced piece like a P64) if he has to actually front the funds for the purchase himself. I always order my own.

Either way, the seller needs to have a signed copy of the FFL's license on file before they will ship. They CAN accept a fax, but many will not and still require the FFL to send a signed ORIGINAL.

Saands
tunnelrat

PA-63???

Post by tunnelrat »

I have had a lot of luck with all the little commie guns. My P-64 is a better gun than its lookalike Walther PPK. My Mak eats everything I feed it without so much as a hiccup. My CZ-52 lights up the night sky with its 7.62x25 ammo at 1400+ fps.

In fact, the only commie gun I've had trouble with is the Hungarian PA-63. It is very finicky about what ammo it likes, and doesn't always feed even the stuff it does like. Its magazine is so tight that much 9x18 ammo won't even fit into it. It accepts ammo of only a very limited OAL.

I fired 30 rounds of 100 grain Wolf ammo through mine and had three failures to feed!!! That simply will not do.

Sorry, but for me at least, the PA-63 has been a disappointment. It is a very pretty little gun with its two tone appearance -- nice and light with its aluminum frame. Unfortunately for me, good looks are not everything. Mine does not shoot reliably so I am going back to my seller who has agreed to take it back and give me either a Mak or a P-64 in exchange.
saands

PA-63???

Post by saands »

A mak in exchange for a PA-63? WOW! :o :o :o

If I send you a PA-63, can you get ME a Mak for it too??? THAT is a trade that I wouldn't even come close to thinking twice about!

Saands
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

PA-63???

Post by himmel »

I like the heft of the all-steel ones myself...but then, I still use wooden ball bats too... :P
karlpa

PA-63???

Post by karlpa »

I have both the PA63 and the P64. If you put them side by side, there is no comparisom. The P64 has it all over the 63 in fit, finish and overall quality.
tunnelrat

PA-63???

Post by tunnelrat »

I have both the PA63 and the P64. If you put them side by side, there is no comparisom. The P64 has it all over the 63 in fit, finish and overall quality.
To be fair, though, the PA-63 is still a snappy looking little gun. I kind of like its two-tone, black over aluminum appearance. Further, while I, too, tend to enjoy the heft of steel in my hand, the PA-63's aluminum frame makes for a pistol light enough that it can be carried all day long without dragging down a waistband.

And for all that it tends to be finicky about ammo -- I have a few complaints on that subject -- once it finds a load that it likes, it'll keep shooting all day long, right to point of aim.

I've made my unkind remarks already, but want to add that the PA-63 in the right hands, and with a bit of work, can be a very nice firearm. I recall the biting remarks made about the P-64 that nearly discouraged me from finding out for myself what a gem that Poland has produced. I would not want to stand in the way of anyone researching the craftsmanship of Hungary's gunsmiths...