Spring questions

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
jamesb

Spring questions

Post by jamesb »

I picked up a P64 a couple of weeks ago at J&G in Prescott and was able to take it out shooting for the first time earlier this week.

I found that transitioning from DA to SA while firing was kind of funky!

I got a 1971 P64 with a round hammer and the SA pull is very light and the DA on this gun was much better than the PA63 or the Carpati pistols I used to own (the Carpati was especially bad, gritty and very heavy). The P64 DA is pretty heavy but very smooth, better than a Bulgarian Makarov I used to own.

However I found that when I fired the first shot from DA, the subsequent shot in SA always 'felt' like a misfire, even when I went slowly and knew what to expect (surprise break indeed!!). There doesn't seem to be any indication when take-up on the trigger has been taken-up, is that normal? As you pull the trigger in SA it doesn't seem to get any harder.

Firing in SA mode only doesn't feel like there's any problem to me, only transitioning from DA to SA after the first shot from DA.

I'm thinking that I want to lighten the DA trigger pull and make the SA pull a tad heavier. From the looks of it I would do that with the hammer and trigger springs.

My question on the hammer spring is will there be a problem with light primer hits if I went to a 17lb or 18lb hammer spring? On the trigger spring, could I get one that is a little heavier than stock?

I also intend on replacing the recoil spring and wanted opinions on the 20lb vs the 22lb. Are there cycling problems with the 22lb spring on any ammunition tried? Why would I go for one over the other?

I tried 3 different types of ammo, Silver Bear JHP, Federal Hi-Shok 90gr JHP and some reloads (w/ 90gr Gold Dot bullets) I did in 2002. The Hi-Shok and the reloads were no problem to shoot, but the Silver Bear ammo hurt (almost as bad as firing the PA63!).

Will I feel a noticeable reduction in recoil by using a heavier recoil spring? How it is with the 22lb vs the 20lb? What other ways can I reduce the bite of recoil (such as new grips, etc)?

I bought this for CCW use and will be using Federal Hi-Shok 9x18 ammo (have a box of 20 that I bought about 7 years ago for $5.81, plus several rounds of it laying loose that I test fired thru the P64 to check operation). I plan to carry IWB with 6+1 safety off.

Any advice would help, but the most important things I would like to get answered are the questions on the light primer hits with the lighter hammer springs, the heavier trigger spring and the 20lb vs. 22lb recoil spring.

Thanks!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Spring questions

Post by normsutton »

jamesb

welcome

I don't recommend the 17 # hammer spring, the 18 # for brass cartridges , the 19# for steel cartridges,
I do recommend 20 # recoil spring, the 22# spring you may find you'll will have to grind the end of the spring flat, I make the trigger return springs, if I made them any heaver you would not be able to get the spring in the gun I think,

grips from http://www.marschalgrips.com/?content=P ... -64-models will reduce felt recoil

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
bob

Spring questions

Post by bob »

Get Norms trigger spring.I have a 69 with the factory "A" below hammer on left side which means a spring mod but Norms feels alot better.
ern

Spring questions

Post by ern »

my wife likes the gun, but the slide is too hard for her to operate, my question is, will changing the recoil spring make it easier to manipulate the slide, and if so which spring would you guys reccomend. i have a feg p 63 and the slide is smooth as silk to operate. any advice is greatly appreciated.
jasontaylor

Spring questions

Post by jasontaylor »

I know this is an older post, but by way of introduction I thought I would concur with Norms thought on the hammer springs. Tried a 17# today and though the DA pull is nicer there were several failure to fire with steel case shells.
donnerwetter58

Spring questions

Post by donnerwetter58 »

ern,
A heavier recoil spring will make it more difficult to manipulate the slide. I find the 20 lb spring a good compromise.
Thumbing the hammer back (cocking) first will make slide operation a bit easier.
swd

Spring questions

Post by swd »

Attempted to put my 20 lb Wolfe spring on. Just to much though, will need to file both sides so I can re-install the upper reciever. Other posts have said similiar things even with the 20 lb spring.