P64 size comparisons

Info, pictures, advice...
rigger7

P64 size comparisons

Post by rigger7 »

Wanting to get a P64 and I'm wondering how it is size wise compared to a Smith 642 or a Keltec PF9.
I'm strictly looking for a pocket gun and a CZ 82 is just a little to big for the job.
TIA
rigger7
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

P64 size comparisons

Post by blinddog »

I don't know, I would say its about the size of a Walther PP or PPk. Its a short pistol, the bbl length is 3 1/4 in. My custom grip is 3 1/8 in which is longer than a factory grip. firepower wise it is great, accuracy is unbelievable. It is a little on the heavy side because it is all metel no plastic stuff in it. Oh, beware, if you buy one, others like it will follow, that I promise. I don't think I know very many people that own just one and those are looking to buy another one just as soon as they can sneak it by the wife. I love mine I want another one. Just as soon as I have enough money look out gun shop.
Just talk with someone else and you will be impressed.
dom

P64 size comparisons

Post by dom »

rigger7- Welcome to the forum 8-)
This may help a little:
viewtopic.php?t=2657
Last edited by dom on September 9th, 2009, 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rigger7

P64 size comparisons

Post by rigger7 »

thanks for the replies I'd still like to
see how it compares to smith 642 or
LCR
rjsixgun

P64 size comparisons

Post by rjsixgun »

Sgt P

P64 size comparisons

Post by Sgt P »

rjsixgun,
Very good article comparing the P-64 to the Walther PPK/PPKs pistols. I had both Walther pistols over the course of 15-20 years and enjoyed carrying them, but now that I have found the P-64 it has become a favorite. ;) Sgt P.
crow

P64 size comparisons

Post by crow »

rigger7 wrote:Wanting to get a P64 and I'm wondering how it is size wise compared to a Smith 642 or a Keltec PF9.
I'm strictly looking for a pocket gun and a CZ 82 is just a little to big for the job.
TIA
rigger7
I have a Keltec PF9. It's a tad shorter, but about the same width and height overall, but much lighter than the P64. (It's polymer) But I still found them both a bit large for my pocket. So I bought a Ruger LCP. I love it. Definitely my pocket piece. I suggest you get one of each..lol.. :P
Last edited by crow on October 3rd, 2009, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulski

P64 size comparisons

Post by paulski »

rigger7 wrote:Wanting to get a P64 and I'm wondering how it is size wise compared to a Smith 642 or a Keltec PF9.
TIA
rigger7
P-64 is quite comparable to the Kel-Tec P-11.
Just heavier & much sexier.
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p11.htm
victorcreed

P64 size comparisons

Post by victorcreed »

rjsixgun wrote:This is also a really good read!

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting200 ... /index.asp
good link.. thanks for sharing!
jbabbler

P64 size comparisons

Post by jbabbler »

P64 vs Makarov PM

P64 vs Steyr S40 sub-compact
John has a long mustache
envy

P64 size comparisons

Post by envy »

You guys might want to look into the SIG P-250 subcompact Nitron almost identical in dimension to the P-64 but 9+1 in 9x19 SWEET.

Don't ask me to give up my beloved P-64 though, that thing is just fun as hell to shoot and one more thing about the P-64 even though it's limited as far as carry cap if you run out it doubles as a small club.

I will chime in about the Kell Tek I am not so sure I would put it in a more reliable catagory than the P-64 I have read to much about jamming issues with the Kell Tek. They maybe as inexpensive as a P-64 or even a CZ82 but no where nearly as rugged, and another thing you CANNOT run +P ammo through them they are just to dainty.

Hense my recommendation for the SIG or if you're willing to go a little bigger the Glock 26

Never allow the views of the few to infringe on the constitutional rights of the many
Never allow the radical views of the few to infringe on the Constitutional rights of the many
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P64 size comparisons

Post by gunneyrabbit »

rigger7, here are some numbers that may help you out.
The P64 is 6.3 inches long, the 642 is 6.31 inches long for the standard model. The P64 weighs 21.5 ounces, the 642 weighs 14.5 to 15.5 depending on the iteration. The P64 is one inch wide, The 642 is 1.33 inches wide. The P64 shoots a .365 inch bullet, the 642 fires a .357 bullet. The barrel of the P64 is 3.5 inches, the 642 is 1.78 to 2 1/8 inches depending upon model.
Ballistics are similar depending on the loads and bullet weights using modern ammunition. ( some where here at the forum you will find a chart that compares the 9MM Mak. to the 38 Sp., a real eye opener). The P64 is a six plus one DA/SA pistol, the 642 is a five shot DA only revolver. Both weapons can be fired DA for the first shot, the P64 has the option of being SA first shot and every shot there after. The P64 can be carried six plus one decocked if desired, the 642 can be carried full with five rounds, the only safety being the shooter. The P64 is an all steel pistol, the 642 is of aluminum and steel construction.
Both of these weapons are excellent carry designs, it depends on ones preference as to which is more desirable for concealed carry.
Both pistole's have been carried for years and both have proved to have excellent reputations.

No single handgun is ideal for year round carry depending on season and temperature. Neither handgun is ideal for warm summer carry and when the weather turns cold and clothing gets thick and heavy, almost any one can carry a 40SW or 45ACP.
We carry what we can afford and what is right or appropriate for the situation, I would feel adequately protected carrying either if the need arises.

Regarding Kel-Tec 9MM pistole's, I owned an early model P11 with a P40 conversion and did not find the pistol to be accurate enough or fast enough to use for carry. That was then and this is now, Kel-Tec's reputation and quality has improved by leaps and bounds. I carry a P3AT during the Summer months when light and thin clothing is in order and I feel protected.

Hope the information helps you out.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on November 16th, 2009, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.