P64 or SMC 918?

Discussion with questions, answers, and everything else about all other 9x18's
southpaw

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by southpaw »

Hey there, new to these forums, I am debating as to which to get for a pocket pistol. I already have a makarov PM and I like it alot, but its a bit too big for pocket carrying.

Im having trouble deciding on which one, they each seem to have + and -:

Which has the better trigger? Which would be more suited to someone with large hands? Is one smaller/lighter than the other?

I like how the P64 has a heel release, the SMC seems like its mag release is prone to accidental activation.

Since the SMC-918 is alot more expensive, there would have to be a good reason to get it over 2 P64s for the same price!

thanks for your advice!
-southpaw
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by beasleydano »

I have owned both & either would suit your purpose very well. Because of the cost factor I would go with the P64.
southpaw

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by southpaw »

One other issue I noticed with the FEGs is that thumbrest bit would have to go... I see that custom wood grips are available, but that adds another $50.

One plus for the FEGs is there is a .22lr version out there, nice to have a 22 to practice with and 9x18 for keeps.

Im especially interested in the trigger, I have handled a P64 and, aside from the (fixable) DA trigger it seems they have a very long reset... was wondering if the FEGs trigger was any better.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by beasleydano »

FEG SMC-22 or FEG AP22, the latter designation was an Interarms import. I have had a couple of AP22s & they came with a flat left side grip panel as well as the installed thumbrest grip panel.
southpaw

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by southpaw »

nice, is there a source of flat left grips? I like those marshal grips but I would rather stick with OEM/plastic grips for carry guns if at all possible.

I think sooner or later Im gonna end up with darn near all of these 9x18 pistols. bye bye money!
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by beasleydano »

Check SSME Deutsche Waffen Inc. in Plant City, FL, website: www.ssmedwi.com. They have BR61 flat left panel grip listed for $8 + shipping. BR61 is the steel frame verson of R61. I have owned the R61, SMC22, SMC380, SMC918, AP22, etc. and they use the same grip. SSME also used to sell a left grip panel for AP9 which worked for PA63 but they have sold out of these. I would e-mail Shona at ssmedwi@verizon.net & ask about availability & confirm price with shipping.
southpaw

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by southpaw »

beasleydano, thanks for that source for the grips... also one other thing I noticed is that pa63 mags will fit in an smc918. If I CCW an SMC918 I can have 7rd mags as extra, PLUS I could have a PA-63 as truck gun (it would fit the bill pretty well) and mags would interchange. In your experience, is that PPK mag release prone to accidental activation? Since it only drops it a quarter inch, worse case is a tap-rack drill to get the gun back in service.

Im guessing there is no way a makarov magazine will work in a P64 magazine?

(btw I have done business with SSMEWDI before, they were very good to deal with)
Last edited by southpaw on September 27th, 2009, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by beasleydano »

Yes, PA-63 mags work in the SMC-918 with no problem other than sticking out a little bit. I have never had a problem with accidental activation of the the magazine release. I do not know of any pistol magazine that works correctly in a P64 other than an original P64 magazine.
mecenas

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by mecenas »

There are two fundamental differences between SMC 918 and P-64 - one is in favor of FEG and one in favor of P-64.
FEG is lighter - it has an aluminum frame so it is easier if you fancy a pocket carry.
P 64 has a nicely profile back of the slide. Please note that the bottom rail edges of the slide at the back are slanted upwards. That is to prevent the "biting". FEG caused me several bleeders on my shooting hand if I held it too high.
So take your pick.
southpaw

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by southpaw »

Oh, one last thing, I assume these are safe to carry hammer down (decocked) and safety off? I believe the PPKs and makarovs are safe to do that as well.
stover

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by stover »

Carry condition and safety is a relative thing. I'm not comfortable carrying a Glock with one in the chamber even though most would consider that safe. I do however; often carry a Zastava M57 "Tokarev" cocked and locked just like my 1911s -- that will make a lot of folks shiver. The safer a gun is carried the less useful it is for self defense. So, I personally decide based on my comfort with the gun, how I'm carrying and what I have planned for the day.
For normal day to day activities, I carrying my P64 (and Makarovs) condition 2 -- one in the chamber, hammer down and safety off. I'd put the safety on if I was doing something unusually high impact though.
Opinions will vary on this I'm sure, I suggest getting fully acquainted with the design and deciding which way to go.
southpaw

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by southpaw »

For normal day to day activities, I carrying my P64 (and Makarovs) condition 2 -- one in the chamber, hammer down and safety off. I'd put the safety on if I was doing something unusually high impact though.
Opinions will vary on this I'm sure, I suggest getting fully acquainted with the design and deciding which way to go.
Thats what I figured. The way I have been planning on this is to keep safety on until secure in holster, then flip off. Flip safety on before removing. I still can't get past keeping any unattended (ie not on my person) gun loaded.

I do agree with you, I would never carry a GLOCK (or XD9 for that matter) loaded.
stover

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by stover »

Cool, that should work for you. I actually safe the gun when I holster too.
I'd feel a little better with an XD than a glock but I have a bias against striker fired pistols in general. Just too much going on out of view.
chesster

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by chesster »

I have tried two P64s and must have had two lemons as neither was a keeper. I have several SMC918/380s, R61s and RK59s all keepers. The SMC is my favorite pocket pistol. I bought 5 pair of grips panels years ago from GPC with the flat left, necessary as I am a southpaw.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

P64 or SMC 918?

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Chesster, I'm curious, why the SMC over the R61?
G.R.