Trigger Guard Hinge Pin

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
eagle71

Trigger Guard Hinge Pin

Post by eagle71 »

After shooting about 50 rounds, I notice that the trigger guard hinge pin has slid out about 1/8th of an inch. It hasn't come out all the way, but I'm able to get the pin back in after lining up the holes and tapping the pin with a small hammer. This has happened several times. That all said, is there any way to prevent the pin from sliding out at all?
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Trigger Guard Hinge Pin

Post by anjdrifter »

That is the only problem I have ever had with one of my P 64s.
I put it back in and piened(spelling) the offending end and had no more problems. Another trick learned from Norm was to get a nail ,I believe I used a finishing nail , cut it to size, heat to red then oil bath to blue then gently forced it in. I did that just to see how it would work ,safed the original pin and still have it. the nail has survived at least a couple thousand rounds so far...
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Trigger Guard Hinge Pin

Post by blinddog »

A properly sized roll pin works great. Stolen from Norm. ;D
eagle71

Trigger Guard Hinge Pin

Post by eagle71 »

Thanks blinddog & anjdrifter. I searched for "roll pin" in earlier threads, and found a post last May from Norm & Sapo. Sapo's post had a link to a Walther P-series parts list, to include a trigger guard hinge pin. I'll give that a shot.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency
jimhadar

Trigger Guard Hinge Pin

Post by jimhadar »

I would like to pean my hinge pin. How do you do this? Do I need any special tools?

anjdrifter wrote:That is the only problem I have ever had with one of my P 64s.
I put it back in and piened(spelling) the offending end and had no more problems. Another trick learned from Norm was to get a nail ,I believe I used a finishing nail , cut it to size, heat to red then oil bath to blue then gently forced it in. I did that just to see how it would work ,safed the original pin and still have it. the nail has survived at least a couple thousand rounds so far...
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Trigger Guard Hinge Pin

Post by dfunk »

Grab yourself a ball peen hammer and you'll be set.
jimhadar

Trigger Guard Hinge Pin

Post by jimhadar »

I can get the hammer. Any suggestions on how to do this? Do I just gently tap the pin ends? What end result should I look for? Will I need an anvil to support the bottom of the trigger frame that has the other end of the pin? I just do not want to bash my gun up. It is not as nice looking as many of the ones I see on here but I want to take care of it. :)

dickfunk wrote:Grab yourself a ball peen hammer and you'll be set.
Last edited by jimhadar on September 22nd, 2009, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Trigger Guard Hinge Pin

Post by normsutton »

jimhadar

I don't recommend you do this to a P-64 on the Stock pin , it will fracture the pin, the pin is harden

if it slipping out it needs to be cleaned, to take it apart , place in a vise like this

slowly tighten the vise till you can push the pin out with nail or punch , do not hammer it out, it should just push out ,once the tension is off it, pull the spring out and clean, (do not let blinddog's neighbor do it ) put back in reverse

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Trigger Guard Hinge Pin

Post by blinddog »

Oh jeez, please be careful with a vise. A friend of mine destroyed my 68 P-64 in one. However he had no experience in anything what so ever. :(
electross

Trigger Guard Hinge Pin

Post by electross »

I remember that being posted Blindog. If I remember, I actually wept for you. I'm not sure I would have been able to have kept my hands from around his neck. What was the end result anyway?