Which 9X18 ammo??

Info, pictures, advice...
thunder1951

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by thunder1951 »

I really didn't want to start a thread on this but I did my search on this forum as to which brand of ammo should be used or that is free of problems and didn't come up with much. I seen to stay away from wolf but I need to know which ammo brand to go with. I use remmington in my 9mm and that's the one I would stay with for that firearm. I picked up my P-64 last week and its issue date is 1973. I really like the feel of it so far. I will change out the grips and springs soon. A 24 # pull is really hard to get use to. Thank you for any info I appreciate it. :)
Last edited by thunder1951 on September 12th, 2009, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hairypolack

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by hairypolack »

silver bear is usually pretty good
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by martilyo »

Silver Bear is what I use, too. No issues so far in any of my 9x18s.
tokarev22

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by tokarev22 »

I just shot a box of wolf 9x18 fmj today and some silver bear yesterday. I cant tell any difference between them. There both a low quality ammo. My pistols look like a threw a handfull of coal dust in the chamber.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by beasleydano »

They are pretty dusty. I never had any problems with Barnaul, Brown Bear, Silver Bear, Norinco. I do not shoot Wolf because of horror stories that I have heard. If I did I would check my extractor after each firing. Parts are too hard to come by.
torpeau

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by torpeau »

I have fired a little of most of the major brands and, other than some being dirtier than others, I have had no problems. Stick with 95 grain stuff.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
thunder1951

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by thunder1951 »

I ordered from a site called "cheaper than dirt" bought the Sellier & Bellot fmj for my P-64, kinda expensive but I will try these and will try some other brands. I'm picky about taking care of my firearms. I found some good reviews on this brand not to say some other brands are just as good too. We have a local gun show & swap coming up I may be able to find some brands there less the shipping expense.
Last edited by thunder1951 on September 14th, 2009, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt P

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by Sgt P »

I'm almost considering going back to reloading 9mm makarov ammunition due to the overall cost of a case with shipping. I like both the Sellier & Bellot and the Fiocchi brands but as other members have noticed that their prices have jumped way up there. >:(

Hard to even find 9mm makarov here. Only one shop carries the silver bear brand and it is so expensive, like he hand carried it back from Russia. The gun shows are not any better as the guys that do sell ammunition want "top" dollar for having to lug it to the shows and they want to make money due to the demand.
;)
rottenrick

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by rottenrick »

thunder1951, checkout Georgia Arms. I've purchased from them, the only draw back is the lead time involved 5-7 weeks. S&B, Fiocchi are expensive, but are reloadable brass. Guess as soon as I get some cash ahead. It will be a choice between a P-64 from Chesnut ridge or reloading equipment. I guess having a spare P-64 for parts is more important. But, the ammo bandits at the gun shows are not living in the real world.
I've actually seen very little 9x18 MAK at the shows. One thing to watch out for is Fiocchi sells a 9x18 Ultra IT IS NOT THE SAME. Even the gun shop where I do most of my trade didn't know the difference, now he's got fifty boxes of the stuff he can't sell or use. He gave me my money back of course, he's a good guy. Are you still required to have a gun card in Obama Land (Illinois)??
ogdengunner

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by ogdengunner »

I have used Bear ammo and also Federal makes a 9x18 in 95g. The Bear is cheaper if ordered online. My local gunshop charges 24.99 for a box of 50 and I have actually seen it as high as 40/box at one other gunshop.
torpeau

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by torpeau »

While there are sites with good prices that aren't listed below, it is a very good place to check

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=9 ... Makarov%29
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
martilyo
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by martilyo »

I've mentioned it elsewhere on the board, I believe www.thesportsmansguide.com has the best prices on ammo. If you join their club, 500 rounds of Brown Bear is $101.62 and that price is hard to beat. I normally buy no less than 250 rounds at a time to save on shipping.
daven

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by daven »

I have been reloading 9 x 18 Mak for years now. Cases from Starline, dies from Lee (use Midway Arms) and 90 grain lead bullets from a local caster. No problems in Makarovs, P82s or P64s. Much cheaper and easier. I can also use copper coated heads as well, plus I have a few boxes of S&B FMJs for "protection" purposes. Dave_n
daven

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by daven »

I have been reloading 9 x 18 Mak for years now. Cases from Starline, dies from Lee (use Midway Arms) and 90 grain lead bullets from a local caster. No problems in Makarovs, P82s or P64s. Much cheaper and easier. I can also use copper coated heads as well, plus I have a few boxes of S&B FMJs for "protection" purposes. Dave_n
jbabbler

Which 9X18 ammo??

Post by jbabbler »

I was very pleased with the Barnaul I just purchased. I shot 50 rounds of it on Sunday and when I field stripped it that night it didn't even look like it had been fired. The barrel was spotless and there was no blowback powder residue in the chamber. Made for quick cleaning. Wish I could say the same for the Blazer Brass I put through my S40...
John has a long mustache