Red safety dot

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
hangfire

Red safety dot

Post by hangfire »

The red dot that is supposed to be just beneath the safety lever is missing and unaccounted for on one of my P-64s. Came that way from J&G so I don't know if it was removed by cleaning (I read on another board that certain solvents like Gun Scrubber can do that) or just wore off. In any event I'd like to replace it. Would greatly appreciate suggestions on a durable paint or enamel that will stand up to the usual wear and tear, oil, etc. I didn't find this particular issue addressed elsewhere on the board but apologies if I missed it. Many thanks. hangfire
mikepolo841

Red safety dot

Post by mikepolo841 »

Hey hangfire..
I have a bottle of bright red fingernail polish on my workbench for just that kind of problem.. It works well for me..
fritzhund

Red safety dot

Post by fritzhund »

:)

Hangfire,

I use Testor's Bright Red Model Paint. It is an enamel and holds up well during normal cleaning. I apply a dab with a Q-Tip that I cut the end off of. It makes a great applicator and the dot fills in very well.

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
eagle71

Red safety dot

Post by eagle71 »

Hangfire, I had a similar problem on a Tokarev I got from J&G. I used the same paint as Fritz, but applied the paint several times with a toothpick. Gave me good control to cover the dot.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency
soram

Red safety dot

Post by soram »

I used my girlfriend's "Oh That Red" #670 Revlon Nail Enamel on my 1967 (the red dot was completely missing when I got it from J&G). To me it looks a perfect match to my 1969 and 1974 P-64s.

I used one drop of it with the applicator from the bottle and it was a perfect amount to fill the safety dot well. I was going to use a q-tip to remove some of the paint, but found that the paint shrank when it dried to a perfect "fit"! It looks like a factory dot to me.

Ross
LIFE NRA MEMBER
3x Polish P64 (1969, 1972 & 1974)
Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .40 Black
hardcorekeith

Red safety dot

Post by hardcorekeith »

I just remember which position means what.
hangfire

Red safety dot

Post by hangfire »

Belated thanks for the suggestions guys. My red dot replacement was accomplished without a hitch and looks great. I went with a single drop of bright red nail polish that expanded to fill the space perfectly, as soram mentioned. Cleaned/degreased the area first to ensure good adhesion.

The most challenging part of the project was the trip to the ladies' cosmetics dept. at WalMart to get the polish. hangfire