Cracked safety selector

Info, pictures, advice...
spiderspitme

Cracked safety selector

Post by spiderspitme »

I have three p64s two of them are perfect so far but back in july the safety lever on my (1974) p64 cracked into two peices. It cracked at the weakest point where the firing pin passes through it while i was trying out the crazy trigger pull. Does anyone have any idea as to where i can obtain a new safety?
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cracked safety selector

Post by dfunk »

Unfortunately, extra parts are very scarece and you almost need to buy a sencond pistol for parts. This is one of the first legitimate stories of parts breaking that I've heard of. Maybe post a picture of it, if possible and someone here can help you out.
spiderspitme

Cracked safety selector

Post by spiderspitme »

sorry, i dont have a digital camera with which to take and post a pic of my broken/cracked safety. the other 2 p-64s are perfect though. I consider the breakage of the 1974 to be a freak occurrence, and i still shoot the other ones alot. My speculation is that the safety was not properly heat treated and was overly brittle.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Cracked safety selector

Post by abwehr »

I think you are correct about the Safety being brittle. Also, where any machining was done, if there are very sharp corners, this can cause parts to break if the heat treatment gets too hard.
bankerbilly

Cracked safety selector

Post by bankerbilly »

This safety CAN be repaired ! !

If you have both pieces, find a QUALITY gunsmith and send him/her the broken safety.

These can be silver-soldered with little trouble.

I would "semi-retire" the pistol, but it can be repaired.

Hope this helps . . .
amd6547

Cracked safety selector

Post by amd6547 »

I wonder if the guy in Poland who is selling the holsters on EBAY might have a line on one...
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
spiderspitme

Cracked safety selector

Post by spiderspitme »

Thanks for the suggestions! ultimately i will hopefully find a new safety selector. or just get another P64 and use this one for parts. I have already swapped some bits and peices around with the other pistols. But for informational purposes the one that broke on me was a 1974 with a RZ prefix before the serial number. The safety did not break while i was shooting it, but a few weeks later while i was exercizing the trigger pull. My theory is that the entire safety was overly brittle from not being heat treated properly. The safety cracked in the center where the firing pin goes through it. The best way i can describe it is that it cracked just like a drill bit cracks/breaks. the fracture reminds me of broken drill bits that i have seen.
thanks again!!!