Magazine floorplate

Info, pictures, advice...
scriptoe

Magazine floorplate

Post by scriptoe »

I would be very interested in having some magazine floorplates without the curved plastic extension. Has anyone seen flat or flush floorplates or at least ones without the pointy front curve on them?

I have big hands and the curve just ends up binding the fingers that will actually fit onto the grip. I usually end up firing the pistol with my pinky riding under the gun off the front grip anyway. If I try to use a full hold the mag extension hits me right in the middle of the pinky finger.

Can the plastic be safely removed from the metal part of the floorplate without damaging it to where it can't be re-installed later?

Also, as I often us a small of the back holster, the pointy end of the floorplate just ends up stabbing me in the back.

I would rather just not have it on there.
stover

Magazine floorplate

Post by stover »

I used a hacksaw, file and sand paper to shape one of mine.

scriptoe

Magazine floorplate

Post by scriptoe »

That looks great, just what I'm looking for. Only thing is, as bad as I want the point removed, I just can't bring myself to put a file on it. I am a milsurp collector from way back. I have close to 30 milsurp firearms now from all over the world and I love each and every one of them in a different way. I nurture and take care of them and never harm them, not even their magazines. I will on occasion let them wear fancy new clothes. But at the same time, i put their original issue clothing aside in a safe place for when they get to missing it.

I have 3 mags for my p64, all 3 of which are numbered and only one of which is correctly numbered. I might turn down one of the incorrectly numbered mag's floorplate. I know, the floorplates are not numbered and can be interchanged. I'm not saying it's logical.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I can always just get a replacement if I screw it up.
stover

Magazine floorplate

Post by stover »

I hear you. I didn't touch either of the magazines that came with the gun. The one in the picture I bought online to play with. It came out pretty good and is in the gun when ever I carry now. The originals are unmolested and ride in mag carriers.
gzohjr

Magazine floorplate

Post by gzohjr »

Are the floorplates permanently attached, or can they be removed? Any luck switching them out for floorplates meant for other single stacks, such as Kahr, Walther, etc.? How about the mag extensions from Pierce, etc.?
stover

Magazine floorplate

Post by stover »

I've heard of folks putting a Makarov base plate on the P-64 magazines. Supposedly you just nick the side of it where the spring sticks out.
popeels09

Magazine floorplate

Post by popeels09 »

Nice job! Is that chrome or nickel? I was thinking about sending one of mine to Robar for NP3
Also thinking about a handall, is that a Jr?

( http://www.robarguns.com/np3.htm )
stover

Magazine floorplate

Post by stover »

It is a Handall Jr. grip. The finish is original just camera flash.