Range report - first time with _64

Info, pictures, advice...
xdcolorado

Post by xdcolorado »

1971 P64, other gun is a Springfield XD 9mm SC. Wow! This little P64 is fun to shoot, a little hard on the hands and the DA is really stiff but manageable with my right hand. I may change some of the springs though, no doubt the recoil spring.

This thing was also pretty accurate, actually it I shot it better than my XD???? I didn't expect that! I used a combo of Silver Bear FMJ and Hornady HP (95gr). No FTF or FTE in 90 rounds. Very nice. Next time I'll use just Silver and Brown Bear HP. I ran enough of the hard to find Hornady through it to know it is reliable from what I can with that ammo.

Is there really any big difference between silver, brown and wolf ammo? Not for self defense, just range use.
olympus

Post by olympus »

For range use, I use whatever is the cheapest. Brown Bear is what I've found in my area to be the cheapest.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

xdcolorado wrote: I ran enough of the hard to find Hornady through it to know it is reliable from what I can with that ammo.

Is there really any big difference between silver, brown and wolf ammo? Not for self defense, just range use.
You should really consider running a few boxes of your sd ammo through it. I know, it's hard to find and it's not cheap, but God forbid, if/when the day comes, you'll be glad you did. A box of 50 isn't even close to enough to qualify ammo for sd use, in my opinion.

Yes, there is a difference - Wolf ammo is garbage. Stick with the Silver Bear or Brown Bear if that's all you can find locally.
siafu

Post by siafu »

dickfunk wrote:
xdcolorado wrote: I ran enough of the hard to find Hornady through it to know it is reliable from what I can with that ammo.

You should really consider running a few boxes of your sd ammo through it. I know, it's hard to find and it's not cheap, but God forbid, if/when the day comes, you'll be glad you did. A box of 50 isn't even close to enough to qualify ammo for sd use, in my opinion.

Yes, there is a difference - Wolf ammo is garbage. Stick with the Silver Bear or Brown Bear if that's all you can find locally.
Why is Silver/Brown Bear ok to use but Wolf is discouraged? Is there a difference in the hardness of the casing?
xdcolorado

Post by xdcolorado »

I ran about 30 rounds of Horandy through. I have 45 left. I'll order another box or two and "make sure"....good point. I did that with my XD with Winchester HP and Hornady PDX1. Thanks for the info on Brown bear, I wasn't really sure if it was worth the extra $. One question though, doest he lacquer ever "melt" if the gun is getting hot? I know it sounds stupid to ask, but I've never used lacquered ammunition before!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

xdcolorado

yes the lacquer does melt when get's hot , not so bad in pistol , but in rifle the barrel get a lot hotter

siafu

wolf ammo just made another gun a paper weight
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=117073

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
siafu

Post by siafu »

NORMSUTTON wrote:xdcolorado

yes the lacquer does melt when get's hot , not so bad in pistol , but in rifle the barrel get a lot hotter

siafu

wolf ammo just made another gun a paper weight
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?t=117073

NORM
Thanks for that info Norm but my question still lingers. Is it the poor quality control of the Wolf? Is the Brown/Silver Bear simply manufactured with better attention to QC? Or is the hardness of the cases and primers different between Wolf and BB/SB? I really like my P-64's and don't want to damage them so any light you could shed on this question will be appreciated. Thanks.

~Siafu
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

Siafu

Wolf has the worse QC of them all , bad primers , bad powder
, now all their Gold ammo is good different manufacture, the Gold is manufactured by Prvi Partizaon and is top quality ,as far as i know they don't load 9 x 18 or .762 x 39 in the Gold Wolff

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

Norm is correct. According to the Wolfe 2008 catalog, they make regular 9x19 and Tokarev, but not 9x18 in Gold.
Last edited by ogdengunner on June 18th, 2009, 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
olympus

Post by olympus »

I would only run the Wolf ammo through a gun that is easily and cheaply fixed. Spare parts are just too hard to come by for the P-64 so I wouldn't risk tearing it up. I've shot a lot of laquer cased Brown Bear through mine and it has been great ammo. I bought 500 rounds from ATG.
xdcolorado

Post by xdcolorado »

Thanks, I have one box of silver and one of brown to try out. As long as the brown feeds well in my 64 I'll probably order more and save a little $$. Thanks!
vodka

Post by vodka »

Carry the 9mm XD SC myself, I bought the P-64 after I saw the G&G ad. I carried a PP in Europe and liked it just wasn't thrilled with the Kurtz. My 64 has a 4 digit S/N with the date "1973" on the slide and a cartouche of "11" in a circle above it. I fired SB HP's, wolf, BB, (stovepiped on the last round every time) and some really awesome 110 grain HP's a friend of mine had. I ditched the back sight insert, took off the front sight, and put on a clipdraw. It's my everyday carry now. Have you done any spring changes? I don't know about changing the hammer spring since it would drop the SA too. Any advice would be welcome.
xdcolorado

Post by xdcolorado »

After more rounds with it and another thorough cleaning, the DA lightened enough to feel comfortable and I don't want to alter the SA at all (unless it were slight heavier....not lighter!). The recoil is actually taming a little too and I'll keep the stock springs as well. Vodka, what did you do to the sights? They seem to be fixed to the slide.
scottinillinois

Post by scottinillinois »

I just tried my hand at reloading, I used 9mm parabellum (sp?) range pick-ups trimmed to 9X18 using the Lee 9X18Makarov trimmer gage. I was able to trim approximately 250 cases before the $4 trimmer became dull. A lot of work, but I enjoyed it. I loaded with 3.8grains of Hodgdon Universal and topped with a 95 grain Hornady XTP HP (as per the hodgdon load site). All rounds functioned flawlessly and were very accurate. I will stick with the Hornady XTP and rage pick-up brass. Note - I used thinned out red nail polish on the head stamp, from what I understand, this is the "universal" sign for others who pick up brass that the round they have is not what it appears to be.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

from what I understand, this is the "universal" sign for others who pick up brass that the round they have is not what it appears to be
I had not heard of that but it makes sense to have a code like that has anyone else heard of it. I have seen factory stuff with red paint(?) or something on em thought it was a sealer.