Range report...disaster with a capital D

Info, pictures, advice...
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

I personally bought my P64 from a local FFL dealer who happened to have one in stock. From what I have read on this forum and others, J&G stands behind their product and I have not read of any cases where they have refused to replace an item.
I would tend to think that this was a very unusual fluk. I don't recall hearing of any other issues like this from any of the online merchants.
I am sure Norm will be able to tell you better than I can, but I doubt very much that you will have to inspect the pin after every round. I am pretty confident that once you explain to J&G what happened, they will take the necessary extra inspection to insure the next one has a strong properly installed pin.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

this the third one I have heard about ,the pin could of ben over harden, when metal is over harden it becomes brittle , I have seen S&W hammers ant triggers brake because of over hardening

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
mikestl

Post by mikestl »

Good news!

No problems at all getting the return authorization from JG. The JG rep (Andrew I think) was very helpful and assured me that the one they send out as a replacement would be an even nicer one if possible.

All in all, excellent customer service from JG Sales, they have made everything right by me. I'll continue to buy from them.

I'll have a digital camera to use tomorrow, so I hope to have the "autopsy" photos posted by tomorrow night.

Mike
aa080

Post by aa080 »

Mike,

I got a '66 from J&G and probably came close to what happened with you the first time I shot it. I actually caught the pin walking out while shooting. Every three rounds or so it would start popping out. I ended up showing my gunsmith it and he put a dab of a lock-tite type chemical on it. He says he has seen this a lot with these guns???

I haven't shot it again, but when I do I will report.
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

holy crap, glad you are okay. JG should help you out.
victorcreed

Post by victorcreed »

wow i hope my p64 never has that issue i'd have to clean my drawers if it did while i was firing it.

im glad you are ok though, and hopefully you wont have that issue again.
jimhadar

Post by jimhadar »

The pin in my 1972 triangular hammer began to walk out after 50 rounds. I pushed it back in and shot it some more before I sold it. It did not come out again the second time. I miss my gun! :(
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

that could of been worse! Call up J&G and let them know. They may be able to get you another one.
sinbad

Post by sinbad »

Glad your ok!! Seen a PA63 blow the slide down range at the shooting range. We helped the guy find all the pieces and put er back together and he kept on shooting. We all figured he pulled down on the trigger guard while doing some rapid firing.