Range report...disaster with a capital D

Info, pictures, advice...
mikestl

Post by mikestl »

I got my P64 a few weeks ago from JG....1969 looked to have been shot a lot but still nice. The ammo finally showed up from JG earlier this week, so off to the range today!

The first box of 50 went smoothly, reasonably accurate as I was getting used to the gun.

Three magazines before the malfunction, the slide did not lock open. The next few magazines did. Then, three rounds into the final magazine, the slide blew off, springs went flying, the trigger guard fell off, total and complete meltdown.

Needless to say, I've never had this happen with a pistol before, surplus or otherwise. As soon as I realized that I was still alive I unpuckered and picked up all the pieces I could find.

Hopefully JG will do me right, I am real close to the 30 day limit because the ammo took so long to get here. Despite the malfunction, I really like the P64 and I hope they will replace it.

The gun was cleaned completely after I got it, up until the malfunction there were no FTF or FTE. Using 94gr Brown Bear from JG.

Wish me luck with JG, I wanna keep shooting the P64!
Last edited by mikestl on June 16th, 2009, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Glad you're o'k.
bret

Post by bret »

Do you have any pictures? I'd really like to see what happened.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

What do you think Norm, trigger guard pin walk out?
Did you find the trigger guard pin mike?
mikestl

Post by mikestl »

I did find what appears to be the trigger guard pin, but it was sheared in half. I don't think it fell out, but rather was blown out by the force of the destruction.

I will get some pictures taken this weekend for sure before I (hopefully) send it back to JG.
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

I'm glad that you are ok. What kind of ammo where you shooting?
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

Wow! Glad you are okay. I have been shooting 95g Federal without any serious issues although I did have some initial FTEs and my slide sometimes at first did not stay open after the last round. Unless the load was wrong somehow on the Bear ammo, it sounds like a broken trigger guard pin.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

The trigger guard dropping down or coming loose should be about the only thing that could cause that. What do you guys think??
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

mikestl, Did your trigger guard ever feel slack when breaking it down? I broke mine down several times tonight, trying to see what may have happened. Trigger guard is only thing I could come up with.
siafu

Post by siafu »

Is it possible you were expierminting with a two-handed grip and inadvertently moved the trigger guard when the gun fired?
protector

Post by protector »

Possible 2 hand grip with the left/right forefinger on the front of the trigger guard pulling it down with recoil will definately cause this kind of Kaboing! Glad your o.k. J&G is a reputable outfit and I would think they wouldn't want the liability of not making this right for you. Oh,IMHO...
Last edited by protector on June 14th, 2009, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aim small,hit small...
soram

Post by soram »

rottenrick wrote:[...]I broke mine down several times tonight, trying to see what may have happened. Trigger guard is only thing I could come up with.
Mikestl, I did the same thing (break down) and agree with rottenrick. That seems to be the only logical explanation.

I'm glad your are okay also--you could've been seriously killed or "worse"! :P

I only just started dealing with J&G, but I think they will make things right for you.

Please, please post some pics before you send it back. We are all eager to see the destruction.

Ross
Last edited by soram on June 14th, 2009, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
LIFE NRA MEMBER
3x Polish P64 (1969, 1972 & 1974)
Taurus 24/7 OSS DS .40 Black
pirate

Post by pirate »

First glad you were not hurt in any way, other than your feelings! Other than the broken trigger guard pin what else was broken when you examined the handgun after this event? If there was not a kaboom situation (squib load, wrong ammo, way over pressure ammo ect.) something had to happen to the trigger guard to cause the gun to self-disassemble during firing. Really no other way the slide could fly off the frame unless the trigger guard came down. Is the barrel damaged in any way?
Last edited by pirate on June 14th, 2009, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

it was the trigger guard pin.

on all of these types of gun never ever drive the pin out , lock in a vise slowly trun the vise until you can just push the pin out, its put back the same way

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
mikestl

Post by mikestl »

Thanks for all the "condolences"!

I was using 94gr Brown Bear, and I think the ammo functioned properly...no overly loud explosions. When all was said and done there was a round in the chamber ready to go. Somehow it managed to at least start cycling the next round in.

When I cleaned the pistol after I got it, I did not remove the trigger pin. I just moved the trigger guard down to release the slide for normal cleaning. So maybe a previous owner forced the pin out improperly causing it to fail.

Which brings up another question...if I get another one from JG, do I have to inspect the pin after every round? Or is this one of those once in a lifetime things?

I will get photos for sure in the next day or so. I'm sure if this were a more common gun with parts available, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to fix.

Mike