Ever have one of those days?

Use this section for all other firearms
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

:'(Well, today I decided it was time to purchase a rifle for my crew. I found an excellent deal on a used Springfield 87A semi auto rifle. In great condition except for minor wear around tip of barrel. I took out my rifle cleaning kit I just purchased, and started to work on my new toy. Then...
I started to clean the barrel when I noticed the rod was not going into the barrel. I thought this was kind of weird since I had just used the wire brush with no issues. I double checked the kit and tip and it was labeled correctly for a .22 rifle.
I thought okay, I will just pull out the tip and get another rod later. However, when I tried to extract the tip, it broke off and now I have a tip stuck in the barrel of my rifle. I have tried to get it out with needle nose pliers but cannot get a grip on it.
Does anyone have any ideas how to get this tip out or am I pretty much out of luck and have to see a gunsmith.

Thanks,
Mike
Last edited by ogdengunner on June 11th, 2009, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

have you tried pushing it out with your cleaning rod from the other end?
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

barnett3006 wrote:have you tried pushing it out with your cleaning rod from the other end?
took the words right out of my mouth.
ogdengunner

Post by ogdengunner »

;DYep,

This is a 45 or 50 year old rifle with no manual or instructions.
It took me a while, but I figured out how to remove the bolt and recoil spring. And once I figured that out, I was able to get the tip out with the rod.
Of course now I have to buy a new tip for 22, but that is better than paying someone for a thiry second job.
Thanks, sometimes when I get frustrated, I don't think of the obvious.