First DA Trigger Pull

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
fd4887

First DA Trigger Pull

Post by fd4887 »

I just finished replacing the main spring on my new P-64 with the 16 pounder and the DA pull is now a whole lot better. But now when I switch the safety from safe to fire the trigger pull does nothing on the first pull (acts like it is still on safe) but then engages on the second pull and shoots. This does not happen everytime but only about half the time. Anyone else had this happen? I have another P-64 with the same spring and it runs like a top. Am wondering if it will clear up after running a hundred rounds or so through it. Have not shot it yet.
mikethewreck

First DA Trigger Pull

Post by mikethewreck »

Yes!

Before you pull the trigger after cycling the safety, try giving the pistol a VERY hard rap on the bottom. Did it work first time?

I think what happened with your pistol is also happening to one of mine (even after I replaced the spring with the stock spring). It seems to be the disconnector hanging up. I have purchased a replacement disconnector but have not had a chance to take it to a gunsmith yet.

Check out the "mike of the weird failures" thread:
http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1134094161
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

First DA Trigger Pull

Post by abwehr »

mike,

When the disconnector is removed, check to see if there may be a small burr present that may cause the problem. Or, if the sliding surfaces of the disconnector may have some rough surface that could cause it to hang up. Just a thought???
nimble1

First DA Trigger Pull

Post by nimble1 »

Also look for some hardened spots of grease or cosomoline that you might have missed in initial cleaning.Remember these guns have been in storage for many years@
mikethewreck

First DA Trigger Pull

Post by mikethewreck »

I'm going to take it to a gunsmith. I don't know I trust myself to do more than field strip.
jbailey

First DA Trigger Pull

Post by jbailey »

This is most surely the disconnector failing to rise up into the slot for it in the slide. Causes can be: dirt and/or dried lubrication on sides of disconnector, burrs likewise, weak trigger spring, which should be lifting the trigger bar when slide goes into battery. Take the recoil spring out, so you can cycle the slide easily, and remove the right grip. You should be able to see the foot of the disconnector where it bears on the trigger bar and study its proper action. Mine required polishing to solve the exact same problem. CAUTION: taking it far enough apart to deal with this is NOT for the inexperienced, IMHO. I doubt that this problem is directly related to changing the mainspring. Good luck!
fd4887

First DA Trigger Pull

Post by fd4887 »

This problem existed before changing out the main spring. I think I will take the grips and slide off and give it a good hosing with carb/brake cleaner and maybe soak for a while. The safety is also very hard to switch on or off.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

First DA Trigger Pull

Post by abwehr »

fd4887,

If the safety is very hard, there is a previous post that addresses this problem. During assembly, the detent spring would get out of alignment and cause the safety to be hard to rotate. In the thread, there is a photo showing the "kinked" spring. Remove the safety and re-install the detent and spring and it should work fine then. Also, a little lubricant on the detent helps too. I think in the thread, there is instruction on how to remove the safety.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

First DA Trigger Pull

Post by normsutton »

fd4887

I had the same problem with one of my FEG BR-61 if you need a good picture of the safety and the detent and the spring use this one of the ppk because must of the thumb safeties on these type of guns are all the same that dosn"t mean the parts are the same size

http://www.urban-armory.com/diagrams/walthppk.htm

Be carefull taken this apart you don't want to lose any parts

I had a bur on the safety acatch plunger and just polish it then put it back together and work just fine

GOOD LUCK
NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
fd4887

First DA Trigger Pull

Post by fd4887 »

abwehr,
I can't seem to find the post you refer to. could you post a link? thanks.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

First DA Trigger Pull

Post by abwehr »

fd4887,

Here are two thread that I think will answer your question. I can't open the photo in one thread as it is firewalled at my work computer.

The first thread link is: http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1133831696

The Second thread link is: http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... 1135001658

This information should help with the problem
Last edited by abwehr on March 21st, 2006, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.