Problem with my P64. (my fault)

Info, pictures, advice...
southbendin

Post by southbendin »

Hey everyone. I've got a 1971 P64 from JG. Bought it a month ago from JG. Beautiful condition. I've already put 50 rounds through it. Anyway, my p64 is fairly difficult to dissmantle and assemble. WHen I am taking the slide off or putting it back on its getting snagged up on something. Then the slide will be stuck and i have to either A. use some force or B. Press on the slide stop lever to "put it back on track" then the slide will free up.

When my slide is off my slide stop lever wiggles a little bit. I have to push it up before I can put the slide back on or else it will get stuck. Sometime when im putting the slide on the stop lever will slip down and the slide will be stuck half way on. Sometimes i can fix it if theres enough room by pushing the level back up so the slide will go on.

Here are some pics. There also a part of the slide (not sure of the name) that is getting pretty worn down/ scuffed up. The 2 protruding pieces that are inside the slide that have a slope on the end of them (best i could describe it)

I'm thinking these metal points on the slide are getting caught on the stop lever?

Pics:

this pic shows the stop lever. it seems to be gettign pretty scuffed up, like its rubbing on something.

Last edited by southbendin on June 2nd, 2009, 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

southbendin

I don't know, is the recoil spring on right , small end goes on the barrel first, I cant see in the pix do you have a slide stop spring in the gun , is your safety on or off , its suppose to be off

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
southbendin

Post by southbendin »

yep my slide stop spring is there. You know what I might be putting the recoil spring on the wrong way. Althought I cant see that causing those metal tabs inside the slide to get messed up. I'll check it out when i get home. thanks for the reply.
southbendin

Post by southbendin »

Ok. I got it the stuck slide part straightened out. my technique was just a little flawed and my inexperience with pistols probably got in the way as well.

any idea on the purpose of those metal tabs that are getting gouged? if i knew what they were for it might help me figure out why they are getting knicked up. it could have been my bad technique though.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

southbendin

I think it was bad technique , welcome to the wonderful world of the P-64

the first time I took mine apart I had the recoil spring on backwards and then shot it , the slide locked up I had beat it off with a rubber mallet to get unstuck

NORM
Last edited by normsutton on June 1st, 2009, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

Those metal tabs on the slide are the rails that ride in the groves on the frame...the ends can get gouged up like that when you take the slide off the frame and the slide rails beat against the frame (ummm) rails. Its ok, wont hurt anything.
southbendin

Post by southbendin »

thanks for the responses. i took it apart and reassembled it a few times flawlessly last night. thanks for the help.

I know present to you a picture of my P-64 along with the rest of the crew!

Last edited by southbendin on June 2nd, 2009, 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
hairypolack

Post by hairypolack »

nice m-44. what kind?
southbendin

Post by southbendin »

1944 Izhevsk