Need a Barrel for my P-64

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Dave, what kind of dimensions do you want my friend?
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

blinddog,
The object is to see if a PA-63 barrel might be a suitable replacement for a P-64. I have both guns but neither with the barrel removed. Replacement barrels are readily available for the PA-63. The OD of the exposed portion of the barrels on both models are within .002".
What I'm looking for is the dimensions of the chamber end of the barrel for the P-64. There are 2 areas. The first would be the diameter and length of the area that fits into the frame. This should be a bit larger diameter than the rest of the barrel. The second would be the diameter and length of the flange on the chamber end.
If we can get some accurate measurements of the P-64 barrel and I can acquire the same for a PA-63 barrel we can determine if a P-64 barrel can be fashioned from a PA-63 barrel.
So, should anyone have a PA-63 barrel handy, how about some measurements.
Thanks,
Dave
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

I will have to get my friends dial calaper. His is far more accurate than mine. I should have all of your measurements Sun. or Mon. Is that soon eneough?
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

Thanks blinddog.
There's no rush.
I don't need a P-64 barrel but it would be good information for others that do considering there is no source for P-64 barrels at this time.
Now if anyone has a PA-63 barrel they could measure.....
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

What about regular Makarov barrels? Would they work, or could be modified?
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

rottenrick, I'll measure both tomorrow and let you know what I come up with.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

The outside diameter of the P 64 barrel is larger than the PA 63 on my pistole's. To bad it's not the other way around. The other problem that I have is that the small end of my calipers wont reach far enough into the PA 63 to make a measurement, the breach block is longer on the 63 than the 64. The diameter of the P 64 barrel where it enters the breach block is also larger.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on May 6th, 2009, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Gunny, Unless I misunderstood you. There is only FOUR things that would really hold back using a P-64 BARRELS is as follows, 1.) Turning the barrel down the length from the crown, to the start of the breach block mounting area to match a P-63 barrel. 2.) Turning down the dia. of the barrel breech block mounting area down to match a P-63 barrel. 3.) Matching the interior length and and diameter of a P-64 barrel chamber to match the P-63 barrel. 4.) Managing to quench the barrel while turning it, so as not to damage the heat treating. Is the wall thickness of the P-64 that much thicker? Duh? I guess it would have to be, you dummy (me) not you. If some one has a CNC business that makes rifles barrels or pistol barrels. Have you ever seen a properly programed CNC lathe machine at work?? It's a thing of beauty. They can turn out hundreds of the same item PDQ, mic em' not an RCH's difference between them, REALLY COOL to watch. Now here's the BIGGIE, is most likely cheaper to buy a whole new weapon, than commision having barrels made, have to have real deep pockets.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Sorry Gunny, I thought we were doing the other way around from P-64 to P-63. I feel stupid.
donnerwetter58

Post by donnerwetter58 »

gunney,
Thanks for the effort.
So much for carving a P-64 barrel from a PA-63 barrel.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Let me check my CZ 82 and East German Makarov, they may also be candidates.

Rotenrick,
Some day when I feel like reliving my most humiliating moment as a member of this forum, I will look up one of my replies, let you read it and have a good chuckle.
Stick around, we are all friends here and all human, it sounds like you know your business and that is a valuable commodity. So as some one from this forum once said to me, " come on out and play some more."
G.R."
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

Gunny, I was a Maintenance chief in several Navy aircraft squadrons and AIMD's (Aircraft intermediate repair facilities) managed all types of repairs on aircraft,airframes, electrical and electronics systems and aircrew components , ejection seats, crew safety items. Plus Quality assurance supervisor. We made a lot of parts when there were none to be had in supply. Made my people obtain engineering drawings and hang onto them. Managing the output of different divisions. I'm used to people telling me things can't be done, but turning around and showing how things can be accomplished SAFELY. I CAN'T NEVER ACCOMPLISHED ANYTHING, or found solutions. Guess the Ol' Maintenance chief in me just kicked in. I was an aviation electrician by trade. Guess I'll have to watch that.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Chief, you can do any darn thing you put your mind to. If you dont know how ask a question if you aren't sure ask another question. I don't think there was anyone that knew it all wher they first started this forum.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

wrlibby,
Now my eyes are not the best, need new glasses, but it appears to me that you should be looking for an East German Makarov barrel for your project, it is right at or just slightly over 1/1000 larger than the P64 barrel where it enters the breach block. You may want to ask Norm or one of the other members to measure their Bulgarian, Chinese or Russian models to compare with their P64 pistol's to see if they will be candidates. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you fellows, my bad and I'll try to do better in the future.
G.R.
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

Sorry I havn't got back with the bbl dimensions. Spousal unit has had pneumonia and I been kind of busy. When things calm down a little I will get them to you OK?

Thanks, blinddog