Need ammo

Info, pictures, advice...
jbabbler

Need ammo

Post by jbabbler »

I carry the CorBon PowRBall ammo in my P64. Out of all the ammos I've seen it seems to have the biggest punch at 1348fps and 282ftlbs of energy. That's actually better than the Remington Golden Saber 9mm Luger. Have a look at this chart. The Hornady looks a little under powered.

http://www.victorinc.com/9x18mm.html
John has a long mustache
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Need ammo

Post by beasleydano »

Last week I ordered 1000 rds of Brown Bear FMJ from AIM for $190 + shipping. They are out of the Brown Bear now but they now have Silver Bear FMJ for $195/1,000 rds.
rottenrick

Need ammo

Post by rottenrick »

Great info. Well, we've got the easy part done(reading about it)now for the hard part(finding it)LOL.
sapo

Need ammo

Post by sapo »

Silverbear HP didn't expand well

viewtopic.php?t=2500
tnscooter

Need ammo

Post by tnscooter »

That is some very good info to know. I was wondering tho if anyone had to do any modifying to the feed ramp for the hp's and would really like to know where to find some, they are a hard find.
breilley

Need ammo

Post by breilley »

http://www.gun-deals.com

It is your friend for ammo deals :)
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Need ammo

Post by normsutton »

tnscooter

all you have to do is high polish the feed ramp, no grinding

viewtopic.php?t=1162

but still only shoot nothing over a 95 grn. bullet

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
tmcblane

Need ammo

Post by tmcblane »

I ordered a 1000 rnds of brown bear from J&G on 4/20 and got a shipping confirmation on 4/29
mirother

Need ammo

Post by mirother »

rottenrick--One day, I fired one round of Silverbear HP and saw two holes in the target. I scratched my head and walked over to check it out. The jacket had separated from the bullet making two holes. I was poor expansion but a double hit.
rottenrick

Need ammo

Post by rottenrick »

mirother, I'm not sure anything short of Hornady, CorBon or a handload will do well. Too bad Winchester doesn't make silvertips in 9x18MAK. Besides I'd like to be able to have brass to save for reloading. The separation only happened one time?. If you want to see something interesting about penetration and fragmentation Google BOX OF TRUTH. It's pretty interesting. Thanks man.
jbabbler

Need ammo

Post by jbabbler »

FYI... I got my Barnaul ammo in from Graf & Sons today. It is indeed the 40rd green box/red stripe. The box is also labeled "for training shooting". The box is similar to this one (except for the caliber ;D )...

John has a long mustache
rottenrick

Need ammo

Post by rottenrick »

jbabbler, I don't know what the difference between the types are except case coatings, but Barnaul makes Silverbear and Brownbear at the same plant. I wonder about S&B, never shot any of that.
jbabbler

Need ammo

Post by jbabbler »

I don't know but would love to figure it out. I'll see how this green box shoots. My next order will be for Silver Bear FMJ. It's a little cheaper.
John has a long mustache
mirother

Need ammo

Post by mirother »

jbabbler--a 40 round box! Now that is interesting. So you notice any difference in recoil. I imagine that training ammo does not push any limits for pressure.
mirother

Need ammo

Post by mirother »

rottenrick, thanks for the reply and the tip. I have seen plenty of jacket separation from East European ammo. I am not sure I saw another case in Silver Bear HP. This was certainly the most dramatic because I had a fresh target.