9x19 to 9x18

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
barnett3006

9x19 to 9x18

Post by barnett3006 »

Keep an eye on Lyman's factory seconds and close-outs section on their website, I scored a "factory seconds" Universal Case Trimmer for $30 plus shipping direct from Lyman. It came with all the pilots and everything...the only defect I could see is a small chip in the paint.

I have a question for anyone that reloads both 9mm and 380. Is there any reason why I can't safely reload 380 using my 9mm dies? I know about the differences between the two cases and the only reason I ask is because I have gotten 380 brass mixed in with my 9mm brass and they went through my progressive press just fine. I only noticed that they were 380 cases during the post-reloading inspection and I could see the lube grove on the lead bullets.
sapo

9x19 to 9x18

Post by sapo »

The .380 cases are shorter and narrower, they wouldn't have been sized properly if it all. It has happened to me on my progressive and I just sort them, pull the .380's and save the components. I don’t think you really want to be shooting 115 or 125 gr bullets out of your .380. I wouldn't think they would even chamber completly.

The .380's you loaded with 9 MM powder and bullets will probably feed into your 9 MM but I wouldn’t want to be the one doing it. I have shot .380's out of a 9MM auto and a .38/357 revolver just to see if you could, they do fire but the cases swell up. I wouldn't recommend doing it.
barnett3006

9x19 to 9x18

Post by barnett3006 »

Sapo wrote:The .380 cases are shorter and narrower, they wouldn't have been sized properly if it all. It has happened to me on my progressive and I just sort them, pull the .380's and save the components. I don’t think you really want to be shooting 115 or 125 gr bullets out of your .380. I wouldn't think they would even chamber completly.

The .380's you loaded with 9 MM powder and bullets will probably feed into your 9 MM but I wouldn’t want to be the one doing it. I have shot .380's out of a 9MM auto and a .38/357 revolver just to see if you could, they do fire but the cases swell up. I wouldn't recommend doing it.
I did sort them and salvaged the bullets and powder, the load I using in the 9mm at the time was a severe overload for the 380...I also wouldn't shoot any bullets over 100 grns out of any 380 pistol. Actually, I didn't even have a 380 at the time that this last happend to me.

I also know of the importance of headspace so I would never try shooting 380 in my 9mm.

I was just wondering if I could use the 9mm dies, but with the proper powder charge and bullets for 380...not that I actually plan on loading 380 anyways, I don't shoot my Keltec enough to warrant reloading for the thing.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9x19 to 9x18

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Norm,
Can I use my 9x19 dies to seat 9x18 bullets?
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on April 21st, 2009, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

9x19 to 9x18

Post by normsutton »

G.R.
I guess you could use the seater die to seat the bullets , but why when most dies come with 3 dies in a set

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9x19 to 9x18

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Norm, sorry I wasn't very clear with my question, what I meant to inquire is can I successfully use my Lyman 9x19 carbide dies to size, bell and seat 9x18 ball ammo or should I invest in a set of 9x18 dies.
G.R.
ipsd

9x19 to 9x18

Post by ipsd »

You need the 9x18 dies. The makarov has a dia of .363-.365 so I don't think that would fit in your lugger die. That is why they make a special die set. Now it you had the means you might just turn a lugger set into the Makarov, but with many brands making dies for Makarov you can pick them up for as little as $18's

Stuckman
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

9x19 to 9x18

Post by normsutton »

G.R.

like Stuckman said no you need 9 x 18 dies, if you are having a hard time finding dies try here http://www.factorysales.com/ , talk to a guy yesterday said that he just got a set of 9 x 18 dies from them and cheaper than lee

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9x19 to 9x18

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Norm, you always come through at the right time, more invaluable information that saves us all dollars, thank you for the posting.
G.R.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9x19 to 9x18

Post by gunneyrabbit »

I've been looking into molybdenum as a substitute lubricant for cast lead bullets. It turns out that fumes from wax and alox kick my asthma into overdrive. I've been shooting moly coated cast lead now for several months and they work just fine, no leading with the range rounds that I've been loading. Does any one know if there is any draw back to using the molybdenum plating systems that are out there, start up is not very expensive and the adds say that one pound coats thousands of bullets, nothing more specific than that. I would appreciate any information any one has.
G.R.
rottenrick

9x19 to 9x18

Post by rottenrick »

Gunney,
We used 'molyb' grease as a lubricant on aircraft for bearings, in hi-load areas shock struts, landing gear,flaps, wingfold you name it. Have used it for years, works good lasts a long time in military speak. I've been covered with the stuff at one time or another, with no ill effects (other than it bothers my third eye). But, it doesn't seem to be very toxic, is exspelled from the body rapidly. It's been used in high temp area's on aircraft, so I'm pretty sure it could take the temperatures generated by powder ignition without ill effects. I would look at an MSDS (MATERIAL SAFETY DATA SHEET) for molyb lube. It should tell you if the stuff has ill effects on people or equipment. Companies are required by law to provide a copy of the MSDS on demand of user. I don't think the compound will change to a toxic substance due to temperature and pressure, or damage equipment. Suggest getting the MSDS to be sure.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

9x19 to 9x18

Post by normsutton »

rottenrick

I might have to try some of this stuff I could always use a third eye, cause can't see out of the old two I have anymore worth a S%#@ (LMAO)

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
sapo

9x19 to 9x18

Post by sapo »

You wont have to worry about reloading after President Obama has his way........

Are you licensed to reload that ammo?
Alarm raised over treaty provision to ban activity
The writer, B.A. Lawson, says, "If you reload your own ammo you may find yourself engaged in 'Illicit Manufacturing' of ammunition under an arms control treaty that President Obama started pushing last week in Mexico."

"Those thoughts may be in vain if the current administration is successful in getting the 'INTER-AMERICAN CONVENTION AGAINST THE ILLICIT MANUFACTURING OF AND TRAFFICKING IN FIREARMS, AMMUNITION, EXPLOSIVES, AND OTHER RELATED MATERIALS' treaty passed."

The treaty defines "illicit manufacturing" as "the manufacture or assembly of firearms, ammunition, explosives, and other related materials."

http://www.oas.org/juridico/English/treaties/a-63.html

http://www.worldnetdaily.com:80/index.p ... geId=95733
Last edited by sapo on April 24th, 2009, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

9x19 to 9x18

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Thanks for the info, high heat and pressure is what the lubricant was designed for and so far works very well for me. Midway has a system that looks pretty good, I'll give it a try when I get a few dollars ahead of uncle and let every one know how well it works.
G.R.