recoil info-come on, put in your 2 cents

Info, pictures, advice...
rfaudree

Post by rfaudree »

To all forum members who have upgraded their recoil springs.Has anyone done an objective analysis between the original recoil spring and the 20 and 22 upgrade?How much was the recoil changed, were there any noticeable changes in the operation?Were there any problems mechanicaly,did the upgrade springs cause any wear that was diff.from original?Has anyone tested all three?I will add my findings once I receive my springs.Please,all opinions and analysis wanted.The more info we have the better for accurate conclusion.Thanks,Robert
Last edited by rfaudree on April 18th, 2009, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oppy

Post by oppy »

I changed between those two recoil springs and, honestly, I could not tell the difference. There was no change to the operation of the P64.

What really helped with the pounding to my hand was the $8.00 pachmyr slip on grip. Granted, it kills me to cover up my new Zee flat panel grips but it does work well for trips to the range.
The Trouble with trouble is that it always starts out as fun.
stover

Post by stover »

I finally got to the range with my 68 with 22 lbs recoil and 18 lbs main springs installed.
Wow, now that is recoil -- can't imagine what this would be like with a lighter recoil spring. Fun gun though, accurate and conceals well. Will put 50 rounds through it when ever I get to the range, but it will be carried more than shot.
darrell

Post by darrell »

I put Hogue handall grips and heavier recoil springs on my P-64 and PA-63. I haven't shot the P-64 yet but it made a tremendous difference in the PA-63. I can't say which made the most difference but I could recommend especially for the PA-63 you make these changes. Total investment for both of these is under 20 dollars and it makes a lot of difference.
rfaudree

Post by rfaudree »

Thanks for the input guys.I hope for more coments on this issue.
crzbiker

Post by crzbiker »

I know a lot of people talk about the recoil on the P64, but it seems about the same as my old S&W 38 special. The trigger pull,however, is a real sonofagun. I routinely replace both springs and get ( I think) improved performance. On a recently purchased round hammer I also replaced the trigger spring (got it from Norm) and finally ended up replacing all the springs! It was a learning experience. When my new Marschal grips arrive I'll end up with a brand new gun!! Well,almost.
Instigator/Conservative Underground
olympus

Post by olympus »

I went with the 22 recoil spring as well. I shot it with the original and the new Wolff as well. I could tell there was a noticeable difference between the two. The original spring would make me start packing my stuff after 50 to 75 rounds. With the 22 spring, I can get about 100 to 125 rounds before I'm ready for the door.

But I bought my gun for a CCW so I didn't go into the purchase thinking that I wanted to put hundreds and hundreds of rounds through it at the range.
whgraham

Post by whgraham »

darrell wrote:I put Hogue handall grips and heavier recoil springs on my P-64 and PA-63.
Which model Handall did you put on. I look at the Jr. model and the next largest. The Jr. looked to be too small, and the other too big.
Thanks.
darrell

Post by darrell »

The handall Jr fits. You need to use a hair dryer or something to heat it up to slip it on. You will be very happy with the results of the grip.
stover

Post by stover »

Just put the Handall Jr on mine tonight. Followed the included instructions.
With a little patience I was able to work it into place. Took about 10 minutes. Much easier than it was putting one my cz 82.
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

The Handall Jr. went on easy, took a little mineral oil, rubbed the inside of the sleeve. Used a hair dryer had sticky grip gloves. Went on slicker than snot on a door knob.
amd6547

Post by amd6547 »

I went with the 20lb Wolff recoil spring, and put on the handall jr. Shot my P64 today, and recoil was noticeably better.
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
rottenrick

Post by rottenrick »

I had received my springs before I got the pistol. Changed the springs out while I did the initial cleaning The thing I can really judge is the DA, it's so much better. The recoil is good with the 20lb. spring. Today the Handall Jr. really made a difference, the palm swells really provide more control than anything else. When I get my grips from Dennis I'll remove the handall. I'm not going to put that back on a good set of wood grips. To me it would be equal to having a roach on a birthday cake.
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

Robert,
I changed nothing, I like it the way it is. You know those crazy guys at the rodeo they are tough because they learn how to handle the animals they don't change them!
rfaudree

Post by rfaudree »

I havent got my springs yet so I dont know, but Id be willing to bet that you cant tell a diff.Mayby Im wrong, well see.Im just going on what I know about guns.Where you get your advantage is in feeding,extraction and a tight seating into chamber witch might help when the gun gets dirty after a lot of rounds being put through it.Ive had guns that shot great but after 100 rounds thats when you start having problems.I usaly shoot 200 to 300 rounds when I go out for practice shooting and thats just in 1 gun.I might take 3 or 4 with me.I had a Kel-Tec p32 one time and put 550 through it in one seeting and didnt have 1 problem.You have to shoot any gun you plan on ccw a lot at one time, diff times to fine tune it.You want to put at least 1000 rounds through it without a problem.And then go from threre.If I have a good shoting gun I like to see how many rounds you can put through it before malfuntion.But I tell you I ccw a gun one time that you could shot all day and it wouldnt have 1 problem.This is what you have to do for a carry gun.It has to function thats the first thing then comes acuracy.Gun must shot well and function well and it must be accurate if you are going to carry.After I do the mods on my P-64 I plan on seeing how many rounds I can put through it without a malfuntion.And I mean no cleaning.Also you have to use good ammo.And you have to know how to clean it the right way before you do your test.I love,and I mean LOVE the P-64, but I wont carry it till it passes the TEST.My first P-64 was about 1.5 years ago.My second is on this forum.Its this forum gun I will test.I plan on doing a full 2 or 3 year test.Buy the way I didnt join this forum untill about a mounth ago and by my posts you can probly tell Im lessdixic.Anyway We have a good group here and a P-64 family has been born and I am honerd to be a part of it.I want to see more women so come on guys, everyone buy a P-64 for your gal and if she cant shot, teach her.Thanks,Robert in West Virginia