PURCHASED AN EARLY ROUND HAMMER

Info, pictures, advice...
elguapo346

Post by elguapo346 »

After joining this site and following all the threads and all the helpful information, I saved enough to drive up to J&G Sales, and purchase a P-64. I had followed these great little pistols since they first became available.

I expressly wanted a round hammer early model, and I was not disappointed. “Michael” over the phone, and then “Michael” and “Eric” at J&G Sales, were very helpful. Almost all of the current pistols arriving and available for sale are 1976 or later. Michael made that extra effort to check, and found me a very nice 1973 round hammer with an “A” on it, and "factory location" script on the slide. I am assuming that the “A” means it has the upgraded trigger spring and shorter firing pin(?). I cannot say enough good things about J&G Sales - have been buying there for years.

At any rate, the pistol is as close to new (after cleaning-soaking in lacquer thinner) as I can imagine. Upon oiling and greasing, the single-action (SA) trigger pull is great. The double-action (DA) trigger pull is heavy, especially towards the end of the pull, but not impossible. Both actions are very smooth and controllable. My safety is stiff and notchy, but does work well. With “dry” function testing (loaded magazines inserted, but NO FINGERS near the trigger) all rounds cycle and eject without jams, again, very smooth.

I have ordered the trigger and recoil springs from Wolff, 18 lbs and 22 lbs, respectively. As you receive a new firing pin spring with the recoil spring, I will disassemble and replace that on the slide, in addition to extra-cleaning the extractor, cartridge indicator, and safety assemblies, when the springs arrive.

This site is very helpful with its contributors and information materials, and I will post again after the springs are in and I have been to the range.

Guapo
(Michael)
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

Congrats on your pistol, Michael. I love both of mine: 1976 with triangular hammer and 1972 with round hammer. My safeties were like yours, so I put a little extra oil on them initially to smooth the action. I tried the 22 lb recoil spring but it was too long. I tried filing it down and it did help. But I found it sometimes affected the slide action. Norm suggested the 20 lb and they work great without modification. I have the 20 lb in both my pistols. If you have the same experience that I did, I suggest you invest in the 20 pounder. I didn't replace the firing pin spring and I've had no problems.
Let us know how it shoots when you make it to the range. Again, congratulations! You have one of the finest values around in a totally dependable handgun!
elguapo346

Post by elguapo346 »

Shinerjohn:

Nice to hear from you.

I am trying the 22 lb. recoil spring first, to drastically neutralize the recoil. I have a snub nosed .38 spl. so want to speed up the time between shots. Your remark about the 20 lb. is probably correct though.

My main concern at this point, especially when I get to the range, is getting "bitten" by the slide as it cycles back. I need to make sure that I practice a good grip (feel) for this pistol right from the start so that I automatically hold just the grip and NOT move the web of my hand up too far.

I made a small error in my first post, the pistol was manfg'd. in 1971. I managed to get an extra magazine along with a brown skeletal holster and separate mag pouch, for this pistol as well.

I was able to purchase 2-boxes of Silver Bear FMJ to try out as soon as I find the time. Am excited about this pistol, it cleaned-up well and does look brand new.
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

Michael, I have had absolutely no problem being bitten by the slide on either of my P-64s. My hands aren't particularly large or small. I know others have reported this problem, but I've not experienced it. I would think one would have to hold the pistol extremely high for the slide to bite. I sure hope you don't have that problem.
I like Silver Bear FMJ. I have Brown Bear also. Sometimes I think the Brown Bear is a bit stinky.... I don't use Wolf because the primers seem harder to me. My first PA-63 had a problem with light strikes on the Wolf. I stoked up on Brown/Silver Bear and S&B FMJ before the mad rush hit. I still order 1,000 from time to time. I think I have 6,000-7,000 rounds of 9x18mm.
You received some really nice accessories.
It has been my experience that the more I shoot the 9x18 pistols, the less I notice the trigger pull and recoil. I am glad I put the newer springs on, but IMHO the recoil is not as bad as some seem to think. At least for me it isn't. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine!
elguapo346

Post by elguapo346 »

Shinerjohn:

I appreciate your thoughts. My experience in the past with 9x18 Mak has been a Russian (Izhevsk ?) and Bulgarian Makarov. Different ergonomics, especially in the grip area. I had the choice between the CZ-82 and the P-64, and really wanted the P-64. I already own an excellent Polish AKM underfolder.

Missed the beginning of the "self-fulfilling prophecy" about firearms and ammunition, so I buy just a little more than I need, and will wait for a while until the prices stabilize (AIM Surplus is already lowering their Brown Bear).

I do look forward to getting to the range, probably in 2-3 weeks, by that time my springs will have arrived, I will have disassembled the slide to clean everything and install them, and should be ready to go. I have noticed that my Safety/Decocker is pretty notchy, so will check the detente operation while apart.

March has been busy for me, so am looking forward to April and the six months after that.

Elguapo
(Michael)
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

The 9x18mm bug bit me hard! I have 4 Makarovs (E. German, Russian commercial, Bulgarian, Chinese),CZ82, 2 PA-63s, and 2 P-64s. They all function perfectly and I prefer shooting them over my 9x19s, .38 spls, .357 mags, and .380 acps. The Mak cartridge just fits me and it is my most accurate caliber.

Man, I don't know how you can wait for 2-3 weeks. Can't you hear her calling your name????
elguapo346

Post by elguapo346 »

After reaching a certain number of "acquisitions" I have learned to tread softly. My wife has been very supportive and understanding so I don't push the envelope too much. With family matters and her recovering from back/spinal surgery, I have learned that patience is the key______ to still maybe acquiring that CZ-82 in the future (?). I have been able to push the idea that I am a "collector" (just got the forms for my C&R 03), rather than an "accumulator." We/she is getting to the point of "if you buy one, you sell one." Besides, I am waiting for the Wolff springs to come. Once they arrive, and I have the slide internals cleaned up, with firing pin and hammer springs installed, and be ready to go.

I plan on flattening the 22 lb recoil spring ends so that it fits inside the slide, but will then shoot some with the original to judge how much of an advantage the 22 lb'er is. I can only imagine the effort to manually pull the slide back with that increase in recoil spring force.

Have shot 19x18 before and liked it. I sold my Bulgarian Mak to purchase a VG Colt .45 ACP 1911A, from 1942 - very accurate shooter, so the P-64 is my attempt to "get back in the saddle."
shinerjohn

Post by shinerjohn »

It took a ton of effort to pull back the slide w/22 lb spring. It seemed to negatively affect the pistol's action. Flatten that sucker big time! I still have my 22 lb spring and someday I may return to grinding away....
Michael, I like the P-64 and PA-63 better than I do the Makarovs. But I don't think I'll ever be able to sell one. My biggest fear on all my milsurps is the thought of needing parts and not finding them. That would absolutely be the pits!
I'm carrying my 1976 P-64 right now. I put NiteSiters on my newest P-64 and PA-63 yesterday and I'm letting them "set" for a few days. Damn, I love these guns!
We had a gun show in town this weekend. Slick, it was PACKED! I don't buy guns at gun shows. They are much too proud of them. However, I did pick up 2,000 primers and some Bullseye powder. They are a little high, but I got 'em anyway.
One thing I noticed is that about 35-40% at the show were female. I would guess that's about double from the one six months ago. I'm glad to see it!!!
Glad to have you back in the 9x18 fold. I've considered getting my FFL but I have so many irons in the fire....
elguapo346

Post by elguapo346 »

"Yes," to the effort to pull back the 22 lb. spring - should probably phone Wolff early Monday morning and ask them to substitute it with the 20 lber. I usually listen to "Norm," and probably should've ordered the 20 lber. in the first place [so, more is NOT always better]. Thanks for the thoughts.

I did like the Makarovs, but find both P-64 (smaller), and the CZ-82 (easier to shoot & 12-rnd. mag.) both better. I am working on a way to get the CZ-82 "into the house", but that's another story.

Here in PHX we are seeing more women as well. The last gun show was extended to 3-days, and virtually cleaned out of anything worth looking at by the end of the second day!