Slide cutting hand????

Info, pictures, advice...
istbankodad

Slide cutting hand????

Post by istbankodad »

I have yet to buy a p-64 but have been interested in them for some time.
Today I seen one at a local pawn shop. I asked if I could hold it to see how it felt in my hand. First time I held one.
The shop owner told me that I didn't want that gun. He proceeded to tell me that my hand was too big to shoot the gun without getting cut from the slide when it recoiled. There was not enough (tang he called it) protruding out the back to guard my hand from the slide during recoil. It's a ladies gun he said. Only for someone with small hands.

What gives? Have you all got small hands or is this guy full of it? I've been reading about these guns on the INTERNET for some time now and know all about the heavy DA pull but never heard of this before.
I really do want a P-64.
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Slide cutting hand????

Post by manicmechanic »

I've got small hands and have been bitten by mine. You just need to make sure you have a low hold on it.
istbankodad

Slide cutting hand????

Post by istbankodad »

Thanks for the tip.
Shop owner wanted $230.00. Comes with a case and two mags. Not bad I thought sense I would have to pay shipping and transfer fee for a mail order gun.
shinerjohn

Slide cutting hand????

Post by shinerjohn »

My hands aren't large, but I'm not sure you would call them small. My fingers aren't long, but my palms are certainly larger than any woman's I've ever known.
I've never been bit by the slide. Not even close.
I just ordered my second one today. I'm not saying the guy is lying to you. That may be his experience, but it's sure not mine.
polypet

Slide cutting hand????

Post by polypet »

My hands are normal sized and I have never cut my hand with the slide. I guess it's more of how you hold the handgun than the actual design of the gun. The slide on P64 is curved on the back so even if one gets cut, it will be a smooth slicing action than a powerful stab.
lagavulin62

Slide cutting hand????

Post by lagavulin62 »

I think even with shipping and transfer you would come out better ordering online. you could always go back and offer 175. probably won't let it go for that but with his attitude who cares and I would never return anyway.
shinerjohn

Slide cutting hand????

Post by shinerjohn »

I agree. I ordered my second from J & G Sales yesterday. I just received e-mail that it has shipped, so I'll have it tomorrow. My first one was in unbelievably excellent condition. Extra mags are $19.95. The gun is $159.95 and shipping is $22. My transfer fee is only $25. J & G has an outstanding reputation nation-wide.
Did the pawn shop dude "suggest" you buy another pistol he had???
lagavulin62

Slide cutting hand????

Post by lagavulin62 »

let us know how that second one comes out. I may be ordering number 2 soon.
shinerjohn

Slide cutting hand????

Post by shinerjohn »

Will do! One of these days, the supply will run out. Then we'll see the price go way up! I believe these pistols will last a few lifetimes if they're taken care of.
istbankodad

Slide cutting hand????

Post by istbankodad »

Went back to the pawn shop, couldn't talk him down any. Yes I think I'll go with J&G. I did buy a cz82 from them and was very pleased with it. I'll order the p-64 next week.
Thanks everyone
shinerjohn

Slide cutting hand????

Post by shinerjohn »

I received my 2nd P-64 from J & G yesterday. She's a real beauty. 1972 with round hammer. I do not know if it came from the new shipment or was one of the last ones from the previous shipment. I ordered one day, they shipped the next. As busy as they are, that is great service! The gun is pristine!! I cleaned her up last night but I may not make it to the range this weekend. Talk about timing: my Wolff springs came in today! I put the 20lb recoil spring on. This evening I'll put either the 17lb, 18lb, or 19lb hammer spring in. I can't remember what I put in my first!!!!
At first I was a tad disappointed that I received a 1972 w/round hammer. Now I'm glad! My first is a 1976 w/triangular hammer and I love it. Now I have a little variety...
This newest puppy is every bit as perfect as the last one was. And I did not ask for hand select.
Y'all better place your orders! These are keepers for sure!
istbankodad

Slide cutting hand????

Post by istbankodad »

Got my p-64 today. Nice gun. Cleaned it up and will shoot it in the morning. Markings are 1971 number 11.
shinerjohn

Slide cutting hand????

Post by shinerjohn »

Outstanding! You will love the way it shoots! The one I got was a 1972 and you got a 1971. I wonder if this new batch is the "older" pistols. Regardless, it's younger than I am!!
I carried my "new" one today in the Bianchi Pro Size 9 IWB holster. Very comfortable! I just really like these little Pols! Accurate as all get-out and reliable as the family pooch.
Let us know how she shoots.
istbankodad

Slide cutting hand????

Post by istbankodad »

Gun shoots very accurate. I didn't thing the recoil was all that bad, lighter then my pa-63. Slide never hit my hand.
I'll be changing the hammer spring for sure as it's very difficult to cock the hammer with one hand.
I wear loose fitting jeans and this gun will fit in my front pocket with room to spare. With a pocket holster to hide the outlines I'll be set. Any holster recommendations.
shinerjohn

Slide cutting hand????

Post by shinerjohn »

I'm glad it didn't bite your hand. Aren't they accurate???? Oh, yeah!

I think the original main spring (hammer spring) is 27 lbs. It is a booger!

I don't use a pocket holster for my P-64, just my LCP. I do use the Bianchi Pro 100 Size 9 IWB. http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDeta ... ?sku=34688 It works for my PA-63 also.