New Shipment!

Info, pictures, advice...
shinerjohn

New Shipment!

Post by shinerjohn »

I received an e-mail from J & G Sales today stating that they have received a new shipment of Polish P64 pistols. They have lowered the price by $5 each if you buy as few as two. I'm sorely tempted....
elguapo346

New Shipment!

Post by elguapo346 »

Shinerjohn:

To follow-up on an earlier post, I purchased my 1971 from the new batch at J&G. I was fortunate, I wanted a round hammer, but the predominate years received were 1976, 77 & 78. Living in AZ, I phoned ahead regarding what they received. Only through the patience of their employees was I able to get what I was really searching for. Good company to do business with.

Guapo
shinerjohn

New Shipment!

Post by shinerjohn »

I wanted the round hammer because I already had the triangular hammer. I curious why you specifically wanted an older pistol. Are you aware of something I'm not? Both of mine work exceptionally well and are in excellent condition. Please share your reasoning....
elguapo346

New Shipment!

Post by elguapo346 »

Ah, 'why the rnd. hammer.

I intend to use this pistol as a concealed carry gun, and the rnd. hammer does not stick out or pose a "snag issue" when pulling it from a pocket. From earlier posts, the rnd. hammers seem to have a much smoother trigger action and are less daunting in their DA pull throughs - mine exhibits both these attributes to me. I also was careful to ensure that the rnd. hammer I purchased was marked with an "A," ensuring that it had the latest upgrades. Finally, I really like the classic look of the rnd. hammer over the triangular models - just taste.

Looking forward into the future (?), the early models are normally worth more over time than the later versions of most firearms. So, the value of my P-64 "package" should only increase over time (I actually make money shooting and enjoying it). As I collect firearms, I have learned that purchasing many of the earlier versions is also financially $mart, as firearms appreciate more than real estate ('specially these days). Every time there is a perceived threat against Second Amendment rights, the prices go up another notch - and I don't remember them ever comin down. Those firearms that I have been able to part with over the years have at least tripled in value over my original purchase price! I hope all this makes sense........

JMTC
shinerjohn

New Shipment!

Post by shinerjohn »

It makes perfect sense. I knew there were specific reasons. Your reasoning is certainly sound. Thanks for sharing with us.
elguapo346

New Shipment!

Post by elguapo346 »

Now,

With the new purchase I am considering______ 'just considering, getting a set of the new/improved 2-piece wood grips, the "short" ones that are the same size and dimensions as the original plastic grips. I keep looking at the pictures of the "long" grips, that extend down to the bottom of the magazine, and anticipate access problems in getting to the magazine release in a hurry.

Even though I have not fired this pistol yet, I am very impressed with it, and feel fortunate that I was able to get one before the supply dries up, and at a very reasonable price.
shinerjohn

New Shipment!

Post by shinerjohn »

I have left the stock grips on. I have wood grips on one of my PA-63s and on a Bersa Thunder 380, but I'm not captivated by the pictures I've seen of the P-64 with wood. That's just my personal opinion... The contrast of the wood and bluing make the wood grips look too wide in my opinion. The black grips blend in and it's hard to tell where the grip stops and the frame begins. I don't know, the proportions don't look quite right to me on the wood grips. Hey, but that's just me!!!
I certainly know what you mean about being impressed with the pistol. I think you better buy another one.... ;D
elguapo346

New Shipment!

Post by elguapo346 »

Your point is well-taken, that thought has hit me too. While I do like the blend of blued steel and wood, certain grip styles translate into over-sized wood panels (to reduce the possibility of cracking) that change the dynamics of the pistol, and how it looks. The P-64 seems [to me] to be right "on the fence." The latest wood grips appear (?) to be mirror images of the plastic ones; 2 thin panels instead of wrap arounds like on Makarovs. These new designs join in the back and don't seem to be as thick, or tall, or wide as Gustav & Dennis Marschalko's earlier efforts. I wish they would post pictures of these "short" P-64 grips - latest 2-piece design - on their web site. 'So many decisions, and so few fund$.

On the other hand, to quote a "philosopher" named Mick Jaeger: " Too much is never enough!" Remember, I haven't shot this one yet; you have the advantage of me there. Once I've got 100+ rounds through it, I might very well get another one. The people up in Prescott have been "berry, berry good to me," so the thought of another P-64 has also crossed my mind. Time and patience will tell…….
lagavulin62

New Shipment!

Post by lagavulin62 »

elguapo346 wrote: The latest wood grips appear (?) to be mirror images of the plastic ones; 2 thin panels instead of wrap arounds like on Makarovs. These new designs join in the back and don't seem to be as thick, or tall, or wide as Gustav & Dennis Marschalko's earlier efforts. I wish they would post pictures of these "short" P-64 grips - latest 2-piece design - on their web site. 'So many decisions, and so few fund$.

I agree totally. I really like the wood also but when I noticed the extensions and the wrap around I pretty much lost interest in the wood. it looks good but I want the same grip as with plastic, just use that "mold" for wood. so I was not aware of an exact duplicate of the plastic done in wood. no pictures so how do we order these? maybe I should ask dennis, explain what I would like? I'll check the order form again. yeah, pictures would be nice.
elguapo346

New Shipment!

Post by elguapo346 »

I did visit Dennis' site, that's where I saw the "short" grips. Now that he has re-designed them to be 2-piece with the dowel to hold the back together, I wrote him March 26th, asking for details and pictures - no reply yet.

I'm "patient" and____ will wait for his reply. The longer I wait, the more refined the grips seem to get........
elguapo346

New Shipment!

Post by elguapo346 »

While I still have not rec'd. a reply from Dennis, I did find a link to the "short style" wooden grip that he makes for the P-64:

Quick link: http://www.marschalgrips.com/index.php? ... blackstar2 .

While his one picture is "of Padauk with a star engraved.
Not covers the magazine!" it mirrors the dimensions of the original black plastic grips. IMHO these would look great in Walnut, checkered, with an oil finish (more durable that glossy varnish).

I hope this proves helpful to anyone who might be interested.

Guapo
dusty62

New Shipment!

Post by dusty62 »

Those reallly do look good.

dus'
torpeau

New Shipment!

Post by torpeau »

elguapo346 wrote: Now that he has re-designed them to be 2-piece with the dowel to hold the back together, I wrote him March 26th, asking for details and pictures - no reply yet.
I think his P-64 grips have always been 2-piece. He has added a "dowel" or two to connect the halves, but that's all. His new, shorter version looks good -- may have to get a set.

He seems to be really busy, so don't expect quick responses.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
sweetknuckles

New Shipment!

Post by sweetknuckles »

ElGuapo - thanks for the contributions to this thread.

I had placed an order, and during that time, I thought about shorter grips but they were not an option on the order form.

I just sent Dennis an email to make mine the shorter version, so hopefully he can make those changes, as my order shows not yet started production.

--a fellow Valley of the Sunner,

Knuck.
lagavulin62

New Shipment!

Post by lagavulin62 »

elguapo346 wrote:While I still have not rec'd. a reply from Dennis, I did find a link to the "short style" wooden grip that he makes for the P-64:

Quick link: http://www.marschalgrips.com/index.php? ... blackstar2 .

While his one picture is "of Padauk with a star engraved.
Not covers the magazine!" it mirrors the dimensions of the original black plastic grips. IMHO these would look great in Walnut, checkered, with an oil finish (more durable that glossy varnish).

I hope this proves helpful to anyone who might be interested.

Guapo

I just sent an email requesting ordering instructions for that exact grip, minus the star engraving. I will let everyone know the response as soon as I hear back.