Function tested the P64 first time today

Info, pictures, advice...
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

First off let just say that I handled several P64's before purchase and they all had very heavy DA trigger pulls and stiff moving safety's. The price was right and I since I have some gun smithing experience I thought I might be able to correct those problems.
The DA pull was so ridiculously heavy I could hardly pull thru it. I did not even bother to weigh using my trigger scale (it maxes at 12lbs). I guessed my P64 trigger pull to be around 20 or more lbs. Geez. After trying different springs, I finally ended up simply snipping off 3 coils from the existing hammer spring. That lightened the DA pull to a very reasonable effort, but still heavier than 12lbs. The SA breaks at 4.5lbs.
To correct the safety selector, I disassembled and used a lighter detent spring and deburred the detent.
I used Flex-Hone and polished the chamber and feed ramps.
I fired 3 mags each of:
Russian Barnaul 95gr FMJ
Russian Barnaul 95gr HP
CCI 90gr GDHP
Sellier&Bellot 95gr FMJ
I fired using DA only on one mag each ammo.
I am extremely pleased to report that I encountered no malfunctions holding the P64 loose or tight and found the P64 to be quite enjoyable to shoot. The fired cases looked good. I think the P64 makes a great little CCW gun.
One note: The Russian ammo was the green lacquered coated type and some of the bullets did not look to be seated uniformly. There was a slight bulge on one side of the case. I expected a malfunction using this ammo, but encountered none, however I will never use this ammo again.
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

You know, before I shot mine I thought I would "fix it" first, but decided to see how it would break in. I'm glad I did, because not only did the DA pull get better, but my verrry stiff safety is now PERFECT and easy. I would advise shooting a new gun before trying to fix it, as all have a break in period.
It's weird that you experienced the same type of case bulge that I did - and we both were using Russian ammo, although different brands.
Also, we have a really great fix for the DA pull using a Walther spring from Wolff gunsprings. You should've tried that first and kept your orginal spring stock - just an opinion. Glad you love it, though. You're amongst friends in this forum and people who share the same love for this pistol (maybe more) that you do. Welcome!
erehwesle

Post by erehwesle »

I think I can wholeheartedly agree that the gun tends to break in quite a bit with use. My safety like DF's has softened up quite a bit, and my DA has gotten much better.

I don't have a trigger pull scale, but mine with a good cleaning, some cautious polishing with extra fine steel wool, and a little use, has gone from a gritty hard to even pull, to smooth and able to easily pull with my off hand.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

Yep, I totally understand that springs break in and set, however my DA was so heavy I could barely pull it thru. It was that bad. I think the Quality Control missed my gun when it went thru inspection :)
The DA pull as it is could even be lighter. I left it a bit on the heavy side so the spring has room to settle.
I may try one of the Wolff springs. Thanks.
As far as the safety, there were very sharp burrs on the detent, might be why they are all so clunky feeling.
Man, this little P64 kicks the brass way out there too.
erehwesle

Post by erehwesle »

Leonidas,

Don't think by any means that a p-64 doesn't need work, they have a really heavy DA pull, from what I've heard they were designed that way, as a police weapon. There was a desire to prevent negligent discharges, and they made the pull stiff on purpose.

For what it is worth I think it varies by the gun. I never had the stiffness on mine that I hear about. Mine is stiff, but not opressive. This is strange to me for a gun that otherwise is of high quality production (or so it seems) Anyone with an idea here, please chime in...
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

I have noticed that some have mentioned gritty triggers. Other than the super heavy DA, my P64 has a very slick feel, no gravel at all. Go figure.
erehwesle

Post by erehwesle »

Well it is a millitary surplus weapon, and was produced for a run of time with some modifications (the triange hammers are different a bit than the round hammers).

Why I love mil surplus weapons. They are generally solid, but we have some quirks...
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

Erehwesle,
Yes, I read that same thing. I totally agree that there must be some wide variance amongst these hanguns. I don't think the biggest baddest Pole could pull thru the DA on mine. I considered it unusable. But it was easily fixed.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

I've always been interested in Com-Block weapons. I'd like to find a Tokarev TT-33.
erehwesle

Post by erehwesle »

Well, there are a lot of people that have the same experience with this gun, so I have to agree with you. Mine was different, and I suspect I just got lucky with a good version.

I think this could explain the 'love it or hate it' reaction to the p-64. though I do think you are right with a mod of the springs, you can fix the problem and end up with a great gun.

Mine hasn't needed it, though, I'm worried that I might just have a weak trigger spring that may fail. Maybe I should replace mine with a Wolf spring just on general principles...
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

erehwesle,
BTW, do you know what your DA pulls at now? I'm curious.
Personally, I love the P64.
Finding a replacement spring should not pose too much of a problem. Brownells should also have something that would suffice.
Last edited by leonidas on November 21st, 2005, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
erehwesle

Post by erehwesle »

leonidas, well I don't have a scale, I'd love one.

So I'm basing my ovservations strictly on objective input. (by which I mean my tests)
dfunk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dfunk »

It seems that the DA pull on the 64 is merely a crap-shoot. Either it's 'not so bad' or 'un-useable.' Mine was okay; not the best but still I could squeeze one off. This pistol is begging for modifications and fixes and maybe a little polish here and there - but no major overhaul is required.
One thing to consider, is that the Kel-Tec has a hell of a following. I was thinking of a P-11 at one point and then started reading more and more about the "fluff and buff" needed to make it run. For a gun produced within the last 5 years, no type of modification should be required. It should run right out of the box.
The 64 has it's shortcomings; most guns do. Do I think it's worth the price? Absolutely. An all steel gun that's reliable, accurate, has a great size for CCW purposes, and affordable are things one should require...and the P-64 has them all. I'm thinking about getting another one. ;)
erehwesle

Post by erehwesle »

Yeah, DF, I can't think but it isn't a crapshoot, just because I know enough folks that have very different experiences with the gun.

I recognize that this gun can have a horrible DA draw, but I just don't see it in my gun. It makes me want to replace miy hammer spring with a Wolf spring as I think there might be sometihing wrong with mine.

I think I'd agree that this is a pistol that rewards a little bit of tuning. I'm glad you've put up a resource where we can exchange tips.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

erehwesle,
Yeah, I remember now that you said earlier that you lacked a scale.

On that point, I'd be extremely interested in knowing what weight DA pull other owners are getting with the stock spring. Before and after breakin weights would be interesting too.

One could always increase the weight by inserting a spacer with the spring.

I was also looking at Kel-Tecs, however it has been said that they don't stand alot of use. They shoot themselves apart. They should be test fired only. One busy gun shop I go to said that they are the most bought and most returned gun. Feeding problems occur because the shooter holds the gun too loose. They must be held with a firm grip. Some people just don't want to deal with all that for a main CCW gun.