Want to weigh trigger pull? Here's how!

Info, pictures, advice...
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

When I got my beautiful P-64, I wondered, just how heavy is that double action pull? I took a scrap of ½" plywood that was about 18 inches long and happened to be 4 inches wide (these measurements are not critical). I then found a 3/8" carriage bolt 4 inches long in my junk drawer, along with two nuts and two large washers to fit it, drilled a hole for the bolt 2 inches from the end of the plywood, put the bolt thru with a washer and nut on each side and tightened 'em up. I then wrapped the bolt and nut with duct tape (use electrical tape if that's what you have) to protect the pistol's finish! Now, get out the bathroom scale and place the end of the board on it. Steady the board with your 'off' hand w/o pressing down, and insert the bolt in ithe trigger guard, press down the pistol and read the scale when the hammer falls. Weigh the device, (mine weighed about ½ lb.) subtract this from your reading. Do this a few times to get an average. DA pull on mine was about 29 lbs. and SA between 4 and 5 lbs. True, this is not quite the most scientific device ever invented :-) but the price of it can't be beat! For me $00.00 Have fun with it, check the pulls on all your handguns! And, Keep on ashootin', Tommy2 PS: A fish scale can be used for measuring SA pulls more accurately. I'll leave it up to you to figure out how to hook it up to the trigger..
dusty62

Post by dusty62 »

Tommy2, good plan there. I think that it would be rather simple to rig up a small sling using some cotton clothesline to run between the trigger and the hook on a fish scale. Wouldn't endanger the finish and the line should have more than plenty of strength to handle the test.

dus'
tommy2

Post by tommy2 »

Opps! In my above post (Want to weigh trigger pull? Here's how!) I forgot to warn potential makers and users of my device to - MAKE SURE THAT THE PISTOL IS UNLOADED! You would have a hard time explaining a hole in the bathroom scale and maybe the floor too! I've seen some bad AD's occur in my many years around people with firearms, and most of these folks thought they knew what they were doing! I always tell new shooters "There's no eraser on a gun, no mistakes are allowed! WATCH WHERE THAT MUZZLE IS POINTED!" Sorry that I omitted the warning before! Safe Shootin' Tommy2
dusty62

Post by dusty62 »

Nice catch Tommy2. :)