How do you carry?

Leather to kydex, factory or custom.
warshield

How do you carry?

Post by warshield »

in winter I mostly just stick it in my coat pocket.I have a pager pal that I like a lot and use in summer when wearing pants,a fanny pack when wearing shorts or sweats with a hidden padded pocket in back and quick release type opener on it.its a great way to carry with out being made but requers both hands to get it out fast, pull it open with left hand grab gun with right, the hidden pocket opens on top and one side giving easy acces to the gun.the pager pal requiers 2 actions one hand in pocket to raise the gun and then go for the gun with the same hand.I have only been made with the pager pal and only once, I met a gal friend I hadent seen in a while and gave her a hug, she looked at me and said are you happy to see me???? the coat pocket is the fastest as it is not unusual too see some one walking around with his hand in his coat pockets in cold weather,and finally a ankel holster with a small 25 auto as a back up.By the way all my primary carry guns are 9X18, makarov,PA63 and soon a P64 I have 2 of them but have not done any practice with them yet so wont use them as carry untill I do. But as things look I may well wind up using a P64 full time ,I shur like them P64s
warthog

How do you carry?

Post by warthog »

25s are worthless. Get a .22LR or Mag if you have to carry a small bore.
Really man, a 25 is the most worthless "self-defense" round out there.
Do yourself a favor and ditch the 25 "backup".
warshield

How do you carry?

Post by warshield »

OK OK I took it apart and beat the parts with a hammer and melted them with a torch then I went to different bridges and threw the melted parts off one at a time at each bridge, you happy now?
warthog

How do you carry?

Post by warthog »

Yes, I feel a lot better knowing you are safe. :)
ltblazer83

How do you carry?

Post by ltblazer83 »

OK OK I took it apart and beat the parts with a hammer and melted them with a torch then I went to different bridges and threw the melted parts off one at a time at each bridge, you happy now?
you could have at least recycled the parts ::)

;)
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

How do you carry?

Post by himmel »

This .25/ .22 biz is confusing as hell to me--I have the Cartridges of the World book, the author , an eminent authority, says .25 is pretty much worthless, but characterizes the .22LR as a "usefuL" SD round. Then the editor, another eminent authority, says the .25 is drastically more reliable than the .22LR as an SD round, due to a "properly designed" cartridge ( which i take to mean rimless case and jacketed bullet). So who's right????
warshield

How do you carry?

Post by warshield »

22 long rifel was never ment to be fired in a auto pistol and are unreliabel,{jams} 25 auto was designed specificly to be fired in a auto pistol.I will stick with my 25 I would only depend on a 22 in a revolver
warthog

How do you carry?

Post by warthog »

Never had a feed problem with my 22 at all.
Looking at the ballistics, I'd rather use the .25 to pistol whip the assailant.
Probably do more good.

I carry a mini revolver most of the time as a back up in .22 mag.
Last edited by warthog on February 23rd, 2006, 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warshield

How do you carry?

Post by warshield »

I have tried a few 22 auto pocket guns and could only get absolut reliabel service using CCI mini mag ammo never had a jam with my 25auto pocket pistol, I have had good service from large 22 autos such as a hi standerd target pistol that I used to hunt squrills with or the Ruger Mark II that I have now fun gun and I like it I use it for plimking target practice and Prarie Dogs it is very dependabel but much to big to carry in a ankel holster I agree with you that a 22 Mag in a mini revolver would be a good choice but I love my 25 auto it is dependabel and if anyone is going to use a 25 on me I hope thy pistol whip me with it and not pump 6 or seven rounds in me.If we are going to get in a ballistics squabel why not just use a 357 mini revolver as a back up?
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

How do you carry?

Post by himmel »

There are a lot of interesting links regarding this subject at
www.mouseguns.com
Same back-and forth, I don't know if there will ever be a definitive answer...other than something like the .25 in your hand is 100% more effective than the 44 Magnum back in the truck...
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

How do you carry?

Post by abwehr »

himmel,

I agree with your statement that "the .25 in your hand is 100% more effective than the 44 Magnum back in the truck... "

The .25 and .22 may not be the ultimate protection round, but better than nothing. I have heard folks state that shooting the .25 or .22 will just make an assailant more upset with you when shot, but this is where practice can come in. If you practice shot placement and be able to keep your "cool" in a bad situation, you are better off with something than nothing.

To me, and this is only my opinion, the perfect round is the .44 Special. This round packs a decent punch in close up shooting, and will HURT someone. But most of the .44 Special pistols are on the large side except the Charter Arms Bulldog pistol. I have a Rossi stainless steel, 5" barrel by my bedside, and it is loaded with hot loads. I practice with standard pressure lead bullets. Don't laugh about me having the Rossi, I know they don't have the reputation of a Smith, but this pistol has the best trigger pull I have ever used. I would attest to the fact that it had been tuned if I did not know better.

What are you guys opinions on the .44 Special for protection. The only problem is most of the pistols are a little heavy for carry purposes.
Last edited by abwehr on February 26th, 2006, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
cruiser

How do you carry?

Post by cruiser »

I have a Bulldog at my bedside.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

How do you carry?

Post by himmel »

I dunno about the .44 special--altho I have heard it said that anything
"bigger" than the .38 special is probably a bit much for the average person, as opposed to the shooting hobbyist. My own experience is that recoil seems to make a great difference in my own accuracy, since I don't have the opportunity to practice with any kind of regularity. I definitely would not "laugh" at a Rossi--I think they are great guns, kind of like our P64s--good, functional, reliable as anything out there, but at a fraction of the cost of the S&W-Colt-Ruger "name brand" stuff. I have the same opinion of the Charter Arms stuff, would love to have a Pathfinder myself.
Two more comments about the "mouse guns"-- I myself would not stand there and let someone shoot me at short range with a .22 or .25 on the grounds that "it's only a mouse gun", and I don't think your garden variety mugger, etc would either. And that's especially so if the "mouse gun" is used with recognition of it's limitations--not trying the usual COM shots to stop the bad guy in his tracks, but using it as a "shoot and run" gun and going for the face and head if the range is close enough.
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

How do you carry?

Post by abwehr »

On the subject of the .44 Special, it certqainly may be more than some folks would want, but I have found that the recoil in my pistol with the 5" barrel is very mild since the weight of the pistol is considerably more than the Charter Arms Bulldog, but I have shot the Bulldog and find it very pleasant to shoot. My wife has a .38 Special on her side since she feel the .44 Special is more than she feels she can handle. This si where trying out different pistols come in. Try before you buy if you are not sure what you need.

I agree with "himmel" about the "mouse gun", I don't want to get shot with anything, it hurts!!!
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

How do you carry?

Post by normsutton »

I carry 25cal Bauer in my pocket I'm only 5'2" an any thing bigger shows
unless I'm wearing a coat or my shrit tail is out but i'm never far away from a bigger bore gun in my home , office, or car . I agree the 25 won't kill a sparowl but most people don't want to be shot with any thing even a bb gun I know I don't too.
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage