PA-63's are being sold now - Opinions?

Info, pictures, advice...
butch50

Post by butch50 »

Just today received flyer from Center-fire Systems. On page 16 they are showing PA-63s, Hungarian Manufacture, 9x18, Excellent Condition, Two magazines and a cleaning rod for sale for $139.97

Anyone have an opinion on this pistol?

I am definitely going to order one at this price.
Last edited by butch50 on February 22nd, 2006, 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbailey

Post by jbailey »

I've had one for years. Very strong DA pull, somewhat picky about HP ammo, alloy frame (light weight) makes it a 'mule' to shoot with anything above 95 g, but a bargain at that price (I paid that for mine, with ONE mag) Parts available from GPC/Numich under "Kassnar". Thumbrest left grip, decocker safety, slightly taller than P-64, about an inch longer, fits in a Walther PPK holster (Don Hume) just as well as the P-64 does. Keep mine next to my easy chair in TV room. I'd rate it as another 'sleeper', like the P-64. "Try it, you might like it"!
dtoolman

Post by dtoolman »

I had one when they first hit the US market back in the 80's. They were two tone... Aluminum frame and a nice dark blue on the slide. I had some feed problems with the gun and sold it. When they hit the market a couple of months ago I purchased another one just to see if it had the feed problem...... no feed problems but the dark blue in gone..... ie has been replaced with a dark parkarizing. Doesn't look as nice as the older ones but shoots great. I did order the lightest main spring and the heavest recoil spring from Wolf and now I love to shoot this gun. Can shoot plates as fast as my Glock. Well worth the $139.00. Actually if you pay $149.00 you get one with 2 matching mags form SOG. 8-)
Last edited by dtoolman on February 22nd, 2006, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ltblazer83

Post by ltblazer83 »

I had my dealer order me one with the two matching mags from SOG. The DA trigger pull was a little heavy, so I ordered the hammer spring pack, and the recoil caliberation pack from wolff. I ended up putting the 9 lb. mainspring in, and the DA trigger pull is just as smooth as my beretta 92FS and HK USP. I haven't had a chance to get to the range yet to try it out to see if it will fire consistently, or if the spring might be too light. I havent played with the recoil springs yet either, but have heard that having a heavier one will save your hands and the frame. It's a great feeling gun, and for the money, it's hard to beat.

Here's the link I bought the springs from:
http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/FegNF.html#PA63
duhawki647

Post by duhawki647 »

I have one that I have carried extensively. It only weighs about a pound and fits perfectly in a Walther PP holster. Mine does very well with ball ammo and with Hornady HPs. I shot a perfect score with it in CCW qualifying. This gun is accurate! Zero malfunctions.
autom8r

Post by autom8r »

I had the same experience as dtoolman in the 80's, but haven't ordered a new replacement yet. As I recall they were real nice, but not close to EG Makarov quality, which were plentiful then, and I didn't even run a box of ammo thru it before I sold it.
onapar

Post by onapar »

I picked one up at the last gun show out the door for 160 bucks did the hammer spring and the recoil spring.The best 160 I ever spent it is a great shooter and accurate.
warthog

Post by warthog »

I have a couple nd think they may be the nicest of this caliber I own.
Not as small as the P64 but I like the way it feels in my hand better.
mongo

Post by mongo »

I won't have one. Can't shoot hot loads in it and it is a bit bulkier than a P64.
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

Mongo: Good idea, why use a cash register for an addng machine. - or why use a sledge hammer on carpet tacks???? Each tool, or dgun, has its particular use/purposes!!!!
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

I just picked up a P-64 today for $190 w/spare mag and a box of ammo. The dealer said he has had some P-63's and thought they were nicer than the P-64's.

Any consensus on which is better? Are the sights on the P-63 the same as the P-64.

If anyone can post a pic of a p-63 that would be great.

Need to go to the range tomorrow and shoot it!
autom8r

Post by autom8r »

Space,

Actually the PA-63 and P-64 are unrelated, other than the common caliber and following the basic Walther design of so many Eastern European handguns. The P-64 is Polish and the PA-63 is Hungarian as I recall. Both are nice bargains, but require spring mods to improve the "shootability". In my opinion, the P-64 is the more rugged and reliable of the two, but the PA-63 "feels" better in my hand, although I haven't had one in 15 years.....

Dave
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

The dealer I bought my Second Variation P-64 from Saturday also had several PA-63 for sale, but he had them marked $229.00. I looked at them and even with a discount, I thought he was a little higher than I wanted to pay. I would have had to pay $195 for pistol and one spare magazine. I think I can find a better deal on one.

Since I don't have one, and many of you guys say they are good, I guess I need to be on the lookout for a good buy! You guys are continuing to corrupt me you!, LOL
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by himmel »

Oh dear :(--another gun I have to consider buying... ;)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

I just hate it 8-) another good P to consider, will this never end. Thanks for the info on the P-63
POINT SHOOTER