Now for something completely different

Info, pictures, advice...
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

ANYBODY tried the Compact Rock Island from Sarco for $25 more?
Last edited by b52stan on February 18th, 2006, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warthog

Post by warthog »

No but I have a SA MicroCompact that I carry at times. Just like a 1911 only smaller.
I love it and it is pretty accurate too. Not uncomfortable to shoot either.
I would imagine the RIA one to be as nice as their full sized ones.
talon

Post by talon »

Hello All,

On the way home from work today I stopped at the gun shop to see if my p-64"s (2 more) came in they hadn't.

I found the new SA XD 45 HC (13+1), and bought it! ;D Fit and feel is fantastic! Out the door just over $ 500.00 It also came with a gear package Israeli made Kydex type holster, mag holder, mag reloading tool,lock and carry case. Can hardly wait to go to the range this Saturday.

This is another 45 that I'd recommend all to look at if your looking for a "High Cap 45"

Peace,
TAl~ 8-)
autom8r

Post by autom8r »

An unmentioned option is the Argentine Ballester- Molina, nice 1911 style without the grip safety. Great shooter and reliable at a bargain price. The supply seems to have dried up lately, but they are really good '45s.

Dave
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

I agree with "Autom8r" the Ballister is a great pistol at a bargain price!

You know, another bargain priced pistol is the Star BM in 9mmP. These usually sell in the $150 range at gun shops and for a good 9mm, they are excellent! I bought my son one for Christmas and I liked is so much, I went and bought me one! It is not as accurate as the P-64, but good enough!
zeeborg

Post by zeeborg »

Saw this post this morning and thougth I'd chime in...

3 years ago, I picked up a like-new used SA Mil-Spec from a local dealer for $350.
At the time, I'd never heard anything on them, but it looked liek a good gun and the price was really right.
I had plans of souping it up, but frankly, it shot so well as-is, I left it alone.
The thing that amazed me is I can shoot LSWC out of it, reloads, and all other sorts of stuff that most ppl do not dare try without lots of tweaks.
Only thing it doesn't like is that nasty CCI Blazer aluminum stuff.

Now, about a year later, I did do two modifications...

The first was I made a pair of red/white/blue grips for it and the other was I had in my posession a pretty much unknown "Detonics Recoil System" kit I'd gotten off Ebay for $15.
The kit normally goes for about $100-$150, but again, no one knows what they are so it got ignored on the auction.

It's a replacement full length guide rod with an integrated permanent shock buffer, new heavier firing pin spring, and a dual spring recoil system that basically makes the recoil much faster and greatly reduces felt recoil.

As a result it's a dream to double tap now.
I'll post some better pics, but for now...

dtoolman

Post by dtoolman »

I have several 1911's and one just happens to be a Rock Island. I picked it up at a gun show for a trade. Best trade I ever made. The Rock Island 1911 is 100% interchangeable with Colt. It is rock solid and shoots just as good as my colt. If you don't like the smooth wood grips you can pick up a pair of colt checkered grips fairly cheep but I find that the balance is perfect and have no trouble holding on the the smooth stock grips. Great gun for the money... less than $300 bucks. 8-)
Last edited by dtoolman on February 22nd, 2006, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fjblackesq

Post by fjblackesq »

I got a SA compact .45 from Sarco almost two years ago.l Made in Phiapines. Great .45- as was said, completely interchangeable with colt. Excelent balance and not bad to carry. I am well pleased. No regrets at all.
johnandamber

Post by johnandamber »

i own the SA GI 45. iron sights and all. wish i had the three dot sights but i only gave 380 for the gun and two clips. wilson 8 round stainless and it shoots like a dream... now if i could only pick up the front sight against a black target...
xelloss

Post by xelloss »

Anyone have any experience with RIA's .38 super model??? I've been thinking long and hard about getting one of these...

-Mark
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

xelloss,

No experience with the RIA .38 Super, but if it does as good a job as the .45 ACP, it should be a good one.

When the RIA pistols hit the market, I was a low key scoffer of a "cheap" knock-off .45, but after reading good reports, and a couple of friends that bought them, I was wrong, the RIA is a decent pistol. It may not be the most accurate, the best finished, but they are acurate enough, finished in a military finish (which I like), and reasonably priced! For a knockaround pistol, it can't be beat. I just hate that the parts are cast in China!!!

My humble opinion is that I think you would be happy with the .38 Super.
p64hater

Post by p64hater »

i have one of these guns a p64 and its the biggest waste of money i ever spent >:(
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

p64hater,

I assume you are saying you don't like the P-64, or are you refering to the current thoughts on the RIA .38 Super?

If it is the P-64, thats OK with us, some folks don't like the pistol, but you are welcome here anytime. Please post some of your dislikes about the pistol and we can discuss the good points and bad points of this firearm with you.
larry

Post by larry »

p64 hater how much do you want for your worst waste of money?
b52stan

Post by b52stan »

p64hater,

P64's are REALLY bad, but I'll give you $75 for it.
Make that $85. I'm a glutton for punishment.

b52stan@yahoo.com