Light serial numbers

Info, pictures, advice...
3rdpig

Light serial numbers

Post by 3rdpig »

Yesterday at a gun show I purchased a commercial Bakail Mak from a dealer. The finish is rough but mechanically the gun is in good shape and I got it for a pretty good price. My only concern is that the serial numbers are very light as is the importers mark. It was imported by B. West in Tucson and the serial is legible on the slide and frame, but just barely. They're not stamped deep, but rather just lightly engraved. I'm considering having this gun refinished but I'm concerned about making the numbers totally unreadable. I'm sure I'm not the first person to deal with this problem, what's the procedure? Can the serial numbers be redone somehow?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Light serial numbers

Post by normsutton »

3rdpig

yes this is a problem with mac's , tell the finisher to ether re engrave it over the original or like I did I put it under the grips, it is against the law to take off the ser. No. off the frame

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
3rdpig

Light serial numbers

Post by 3rdpig »

NORMSUTTON wrote:3rdpig

yes this is a problem with mac's , tell the finisher to ether re engrave it over the original or like I did I put it under the grips, it is against the law to take off the ser. No. off the frame

NORM
Thanks Norm, I appreciate the info. My first move will be to engrave it under the grips with an electro pencil. I didn't know if a refinisher would be willing to do that, but if I have it refinished I'll be sure to find one that's willing.

Believe it or not the gun was sold to me as a 9x18 and it's not, it's a .380 ACP. The caliber and importers marks are so light you have to be in a strong light to see them and I didn't realize it until I got it home and really inspected it closely. I got a good price, but I'm kind of bummed, I got rid of my all my .380's a few years ago and didn't really want another one. But I did get it for a pretty darn good price. Nothing's ever perfect, is it?
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Light serial numbers

Post by normsutton »

3rdpig

on my hard chromed one there is a faint 380 mark on the slide but it shoots a 9 x 18

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
electross

Light serial numbers

Post by electross »

You could put a 9X18 barrel in it. I don't think you have to do anything else to it, and you would be ready to shoot 9X18. In my area, 9X18 is cheaper than .380. I'm a little surprised at the cost of .380 comparitively speaking. Granted the .380 I'm referring to is boxer primed and reloadable and the 9X18 is silver bear for 8.75 per box of 50. The .380 is Winchester white box at 15.00 per 50. Swap barrels.