Going to buy a P-64 and have questions...

Info, pictures, advice...
nero

Post by nero »

Hi,

I'm going to buy a P-64 as an alternative carry gun (I usually carry a S&W 432PD), and I'd like to ask a few questions about the P-64.

First, I've found out that they came with both round and spur hammers. I understand the the round hammer variant is an older model, and besides the difference in hammer shape, the later (spur hammer model) has had some trigger modification. What is the trigger modification, and does it effect the trigger quality, or the overall reliability of the pistol? Also, how hard is to manually cock the hammer with one's thumb on the round hammer version? Aesthetically (at least in the pics I've seen), I prefer the round hammer model, but if the spur hammer model is "better/superior" in some noticeable way, then I'll buy a spur hammer model.

Also, how often should I change the recoil spring on a P-64, and what weight Wolff recoil spring should I use (their website lists 18lbs as factory standard)?

Finally, what ammunition would you'll recommend for P-64 (for both practice shooting and SD), and what online source(s) is best to obtain this ammunition?

Thanks.

nero
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

nero

yes the round hammer is the older version

the only change in the trigger of the spur hammer model is they when with a thicker wire on the trigger return spring with 3 rapes of wire instead of 4 with a thinner wire, the other change was in the firing pin, the spur hammer model has a shorter firing pin.

I use a 20 # recoil spring all of mine with 18# hammer spring and I have no problems cocking ether one

do not use any ammo over a 95 grn bullet

no way would I ever recommend wolf ammo,

and WELCOME

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
nero

Post by nero »

Thank you Norm.

I'm going to buy a round hammer version, and depending on how much I like the P-64, I may get a spur hammer model version as well. I'm also already eying some after-market wood grips. 8-)

After about how many rounds, should I change the recoil spring?

Again, thanks.

nero
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

nero

honestly I really don't know ,I'd change it when its starts to feel week

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
nero

Post by nero »

OK, thanks. I'll order one from Wolff, and when the original one looks like it's shortened a bit I'll replace it with a new one.

nero
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by manicmechanic »

nero Welcome to the P-64 fold!
In regards to the round and trianlged hammers, the triangle is easier to get a good thumb on, but the round isn't bad, I've got both and will start carrying a round one as soon as I'm done running enough rounds thru it.
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

First welcome aboard, glad to have you with us.

+1 with manicmechanic I have both also and usually carry the one with the triangular hammer because "for me" its easier to engage the hammer, I carry 6+1, and have not changed the springs. I like the heavier DA pull because for me its not a problem after I have put around a 1,000 rds through it and it acts as a safety because I carry with the safety off.

'76 with triangular hammer

'69 with round hammer

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

I'm with manicmechanic and papabear. The triangular hammer is easier for me to handle also. Better to have both types. :)
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by beasleydano »

And I'm in agreement with NORMSUTTON: NO WOLF AMMO IN MY P-64s!
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

A BIG +1 with beasleydano on the Wolf ammo, I think more of all my 9x18's than that, but I do use it in my SKS's, those darn things will shoot anything.

papabear
Last edited by papabear on September 23rd, 2008, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
rick9plus

Post by rick9plus »

What specifically is the problem with Wolf ammo?

Before checking with the board, I purchased 1,000 rounds of 9x18 Wolf Military Classic for my P-64 and CZ-82. I would like to think that my purchase wasn't a big mistake. (But I won't repeat it, if it was.)

Any advice on what to watch out for when using up this ammo? Cleaning, feed problems, accuracy issues, etc.?

Thanks.
Last edited by rick9plus on September 23rd, 2008, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

rick9plus

I didn't want to get in to it about Wolf ammo some people get lucky with it, others not so lucky , fried firing pin's, blown out extractors , don't know what kind of powder they are using it doesn't smell right that should tell you something is miss right there

shooting wolf ammo is like putting balled tires on a corvette sooner or later your going to get a blow out and its going to be expensive

I'll shoot all others but I prefer my own reloads

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
scottthegerman

Post by scottthegerman »

rick9plus

I recently purchased 1,000 rounds of Wolf 9X18 Wolf also, so don't feel bad. Had I known what Norm said, I would not be using it. I guess I have been lucky. I have used Wolf 9X18 for years in my Makarov's with no problems. I only bought my P-64 recently with no issues so far. A long time ago I did notice a peculiar odor from a batch, but nothing since.

Scott
scottthegerman

Post by scottthegerman »

nero

Welcome! As you can see there is a wealth of knowledge here (not from me, I'm a novice!). Thanks for the questions though. I learn something everytime I visit.

Scott
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Nero Welcome aboard! :)
G.R.