Sight question

Mods and Fixes by P-64 users...
deltacornbread

Sight question

Post by deltacornbread »

Just purchased P64. Beautiful pistol! However, my 50 year old tri-focal eyes can't pick up front sight! Was thinking of applying a touch of "white out" to sight. Anyone done this? Any other suggestions welcome. :)
saands

Sight question

Post by saands »

There is a product called brite-sights or some such. Another option is the model airplane paint that Testors sells ... white seems to be better than all the fancy fluorescent colors, but white-out won't hold up.

Saands
redfestiva

Sight question

Post by redfestiva »

deltacornbread,
I painted dots on my sights with the Testors model paint that saands meationed. It does help pick up the sight picture faster. You can get it just about anywhere. In this photo you can see the white dots on the sights.
torpeau

Sight question

Post by torpeau »

Just purchased P64. Beautiful pistol! However, my 50 year old tri-focal eyes can't pick up front sight! Was thinking of applying a touch of "white out" to sight. Anyone done this? Any other suggestions welcome. :)
Here are some ideas.
Nitesiters aren't too hard to apply. See http://nitesiters.com/
Some glow-in-the-dark paint at http://glowinc.com/
After chrome plating my P-64, that front sight is very visible at the indoor range I use. Really improved my shooting.
"The only time we see the middle of the road
is as we run from side to side." R.O. Clark
dwd

Sight question

Post by dwd »

I bought some of these nitesiters that Torpeau recommended. They are easy to put on and relatively inexpensive. Time will tell if they last. I put the nitesite on my ccw PA-63 and daysites on a cz-52 that I'll never carry. I am going to do the p-64 next then the cz-82. If these last they are exactly what I wanted.
[url=http://drugstore-onlinecatalog.com/]drugstore-onlinecatalog.com[/url]
dwd

Sight question

Post by dwd »

Well, I may have spoke too soon. I just tried to put them on the cz 82 and it didn't work too well, didn't work at all, really. The cz 82 has holes in the rear site where there probably was white paint at one time and the daysiters are too big to fit in the hole. They didn't act like they were going to stay on top of the hole so heated them and tried to cram them down in the hole, didn't work.
The front site is sloped with a groove in it and the dot didn't fit in it too well either. I tried to cram the dot down into the groove and it got a little one sided. I didn't like it either.
So, for the cz 82 I would recommend paint or nail polish. I think it would be easy to fill the holes in the rear sight and fill the groove in the front site. That should work better than the dots.
barnett3006

Sight question

Post by barnett3006 »

I tried those nightsiters stick on dots on my P64, they work pretty good but the front dot fell off and I don't know where the replacement dots are. I couldn't get the nightsiters dot to stick to the minuscule sights of my Kel-Tec P380. On the 380 I drilled some pockets into the sights, I think I used a 1/16th bit to put 2 pockets on either side of the rear notch and a 1/8th bit held at a 40 degree angle to the slide to drill the pocket in the front sight nub. I then filled the pockets with a thick mixture of www.glowinc.com s V10 glow in the dark powder and 2 ton epoxy. I have considered doing this to my P64 but haven't committed to it yet.

The sights on my P3AT are BRIGHT! Both of these pics are what the sights look like after a 20 second charge from my pocket flashlight.

Lights on.

Lights off.

The glow from a 20 second charge will last for about an hour, If you charge the sights under a lamp for 30 mins or longer it will glow very bright for almost 8 hours and still visible in the dark for 12 hours.

also, I know in the first pic it looks like my finger is on the trigger. Its not, believe me, my finger is long enough that when I safely rest my finger on the guard it wraps around to the other side of the guard....pocket pistols and gorilla hands ::)
barnett3006

Sight question

Post by barnett3006 »

sorry about the huge pics...photobucket doesn't want to work for me.

I also forgot to say that on the range these sights will start to glow brightly from just being out in the sun, they cut my groups with the P3at down to half the size they were.
dwd

Sight question

Post by dwd »

Went to Walmart last night and found out they don't handle models or model paint anymore. So I picked up a paint marker made by Elmers, of all people. It is acryillic paint and white. I'll let you know how it works out. Worst that could happen is it comes off, I guess.
dwd

Sight question

Post by dwd »

Well, it works "okay," I guess. It was kind of hard to get the marker tip into small holes on the rear sight of the cz 83. IMHO the holes on the rear sight are too small, anyway.
I did a P-64 too. I just painted the whole backside of the front sight and made a couple dots with the marker on the rear sight. It is certainly better than nothing. Far from perfect.
I also put on some glow-in-the-dark nail polish on it too. According to the girl that sold it to me it makes whatever color you put it on glow in the dark. Time will tell on this, too.
If I had to do over again I would have bought regular paint and used a very fine artists brush.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Sight question

Post by normsutton »

dwd

I use white nail polish with a tooth pick

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Sight question

Post by papabear »

I use Testors Enamel paint, its for model cars etc, I like it because it stays on, but if I want to change colors or take it off I just use my finger nail and nylon brush,and it comes off easily. I use it on my guns with small sights, P-64, CZ82, CZ52 etc. These pics are of my CZ82

CZ82

CZ82

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
neoshooter

Sight question

Post by neoshooter »

I ordered some of the Glow powder. I am eager to try glow dots on my front and rear P-64 sights. I'll try to post some pictures when I get it squared away.
daven

Sight question

Post by daven »

I have found that "raiding my wife's nail varnish stash" works extremely well and the colour can easily be removed with a little acetone when I want a different colour scheme!! Daven
tman11787

Sight question

Post by tman11787 »

Neo,

Did you ever get a chance to try the Glow powder as dots on your P-64?