International Gun Purchase

Info, pictures, advice...
tmann11

Post by tmann11 »

Gentlemen,

I am planning on traveling to Europe this summer and again this fall. I can't find any information on purchasing and returning with handguns. I would very much like to bring back a couple of rifles and handguns that my fiance's father owned, but need some assistance. I do plan on speaking with someone locally here in Virginia.

Can anyone help? I definitely know the process once I return, but I don't want to get popped trying to bring a gun into the country illegally.

Thanks!

Thomas :-[
pshootr

Post by pshootr »

This is the B.A.T.F.E. website: http://www.atf.treas.gov/
SSME DEUTSCHE WAFFEN, INC. handles private imports of firearms. You might want to contact them: http://www.ssmedwi.com/imports%20page%205.htm

[quote][/quote]Occasionally we have people who are looking to import a firearm for their personal collection. Our fees for this service is $100 per permit (whether permit is approved or denied) up to 10 guns with each additional gun being $10 each. Engraving fees are $5 per gun. Information must be supplied by you such as: barrel length and overall length of weapon, caliber, model, manufacturer. If it is a curios and relic we must have a statement from the seller that it has been in their possession for more than five years. This statement must be an original with an original signature. You must also provide your full name, address and telephone number along with a statement confirming that you are a US citizen. The permit is applied for and will take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks for the process to start. The payment for the permit is non refundable, if your permit is denied we do not refund permit costs.
Last edited by pshootr on July 6th, 2008, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

After all of that they are going to import mark it >:(

I am guessing that the guns are heirlooms as well :'(

There must be a better way ???

I don't know about importing guns, but can't C&R be treated in a different manner if it is a truly collectible piece?

Fritzhund
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
tmann11

Post by tmann11 »

Thanks for the response, although it's obviously not the answer I was looking for...bummer!

I'll keep researching and see what I can find and will post to this link once I get what I'm looking for...time to ask for help from my overseas family.
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

this might help:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/feib/guidebook/FEIB-GB.pdf
It doesnt seem to have been updated since the assault weapon ban expired but the rules for importing sporting rifles and shotguns hasnt changed, provided that they are not "non-sporting" or "evil-black-high-capacity-assault-sniper-ak47-style killing machines" or any other gun subject to GCA limitations. Handguns are subject to GCA size and "safety" requirements prior to being imported, there is an ATF worksheet to see if a particular handgun or revolver meets the requirements but I could not find it for some reason.

also, per the ATF website:
L1) May a licensed dealer who does not have an importer's license make an occasional importation? [Back]

Yes. A licensed dealer may make an occasional importation of a firearm for a non-licensee or for the licensee's personal use (not for resale). The licensee must first submit an ATF Form 6, Part I to ATF for approval. The licensee may then present the approved Form 6 and completed ATF Form 6A to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Contact the Bureau of ATF, Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch for forms, or download them from the ATF Web page at www.atf.gov.
If your in pretty good with your local FFL he might be willing to jump through the hoops to get your heirlooms imported for you. But your not going to get around the import mark requirements and still be legal, it would be best to ask the FFL to make the marks as innocuous as possible.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by normsutton »

tmann11

I would call SHONA and ask her http://www.ssmedwi.com/
this the import mark on the bottom of the slide on a CZ-52 from http://www.ssmedwi.com/

I think it was done very nice when the gun is put together you can't see it

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage