Gun Shows

Use this section for all other firearms
protector

Gun Shows

Post by protector »

Just went to a gun show in Wind Gap,Pa.This is the first one I have ever been to and will surely be the last,150 tables of either over-priced guns or garbage that nobody would want.$12.00 for the wife and myself admission.My question is are they all like this?If so, I can do a whole lot better at my FFL,and online!Really disappointing..... :(
Last edited by protector on June 7th, 2008, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aim small,hit small...
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Gun Shows

Post by trent »

unfortunately they seem to be heading that way
pshootr

Gun Shows

Post by pshootr »

The bigger shows, 500+ tables, tend to be a bit better IMO. Once in a while you might get a bargain, not often though.
fritzhund

Gun Shows

Post by fritzhund »

Hey Protector,

Greetings from Harleysville :)

We spoke about getting together for a show sometime ago. This type would be the usual for the Lehigh Valley area. Was this show one hosted by Eagle Arms? They are in Breinigsville, outside of Allentown. If so, they are all like that.

There are other local shows, admission charged, in my area. They are sponsered by someone else and I never see them advertised online. I only know because of the signs I see on the road. They are in Sellersville and are held about four times a year. They usually have much less non-gun items then the Lehigh Valley shows like surplus stuff, knives, clothing, stickers, etc.

There should be one coming up sometime during the summer. If you would like to get together let me know.

You should also make the drive to my local gun shop in Green Lane. Seneca Arms. This is the local hangout for all of the hunters, shooters, cops, and collectors in the area. You will love this shop. John has it all and has it priced OTD on used stuff cheaper than at any show I have been to. Transfer included in all used sales. From Easton it is about an hour ride.

Fritzhund 8-)
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Gun Shows

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Gun shows are all the same, dealers asking top dollar for their merchandise, but I have never made a reasonable offer to a seller that has not been accepted. Most of the fellows will dicker with you unless they are absolutely unreasonable retailers. They are all in the business to turn a profit and they all know what Blue Book Value is for their merchandise and will sell if the price is close. Don't give up on the shows, just get an education on prices and you will find some treasures out there. Don't be afraid to make an offer, the worst that can happen is the seller will tell you no thank you and who knows, he may accept.
G.R.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

Gun Shows

Post by normsutton »

I go to them to support the show because if there isn't enough support there won't be any more shows and I have gotten some good deals but you have to shop

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Gun Shows

Post by papabear »

I agree 100% with gunneyrabbit and Norm, I too generally speaking have never made a reasonable offer to a seller that has not been accepted, or at least they came down and met me part way and as Norm said, with out support the shows will dry up, and I too have found some really good deals at shows. Generally, the same dealers and private dealers go to the same shows again and again, so if you go to all the shows in your area each time theres a show and talk to them and they get to know you and you will get to know them too if you are there for each show, hey its a two way street out there and if you work with them generally they will work with you unless they really off base with their prices and won't budge.

I'm going to driving 600 miles in a couple weeks and for a show in Tallahassee, Fl, and I'll have one table along side two or three other milsurp private dealers, I wouldn't be going that far to wheel and deal if I couldn't at least break even or a little better, gas is going to run me around $250-$275 for the round trip plus $60 for a table. Now I will say this, I've been going down to the panhandle of FL for the past 7 years for gun shows and having tables or just going to shows there and have gotten to know most of the dealers and private dealers and they know me and know I'm fair, and that I'm not trying to shin anyone. Sure there are "rodent posterior" dealers at all shows, but on Sunday afternoon if they have had a bad show they will deal on some of their guns.

For me even when I don't have a table at a gun show I get there before the doors open, I want to see what the walk-ins have brought to sell, that is where you can really get some really good buys, so look for the guys walking around and with rifles over their shoulders or are carrying pistol box's, just say, hey, what you got to sell, you have to shop around like Norm said. I have yet gone to a show and not found a good deal on something, I may not find something I'm looking for specifically but I can't remember not finding a decent deal on something.

I love my gun shows, even the ones close to home. I go to probably somewhere between 20 - 25 shows a year and will have a table or two about half the time and I'd go to more if I had the time. I also run my traps at pawn shops, gun dealers, flee markets, garage sales, and the penny pincher Thrifty Nickel, don't have it any more but I have bought my share of handguns and rilfes from reading the Thrifty Nickel, my best find was a S&W model 1917 made in 1918 and lettered from S&W in EX condition for $495. So shop smart, know what you are looking for and what they are going for in your area and when you find it you better buy it, getting a good deal on a gun is like having sex, you miss out on it and you can never make it up no matter how "hard" you try...... :'(

I love my gun shows and I work em good and long. It hurts me to say this but I feel there is a day coming and it may not be to far from now that guns shows will be history, so I'm going to enjoy them for a long as I can.

Sorry, I got so long winded.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Gun Shows

Post by gunneyrabbit »

Well said papabear!
I would suggest just one last caveat, the Blue book of gun values is the best guide I have found to current prices in my area. Invest the $45.00 dollars and study it, gun values do not change that much in a year and you will be right in the neighborhood with your offers. Retailers deserve a profit for being in business, if they invest poorly they will fail, if they invest wisely you will both profit. I personally do not put much value in Web Auction Sites sales prices, when I bid at the web I set a price that I'm willing to pay and do not budge on the price and I win my fare share on auctions.:)
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on June 26th, 2008, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolang1
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Gun Shows

Post by dolang1 »

I go to gunshows with my brother. We have similar tastes in guns and we both really enjoy messing with people. I've gotten some good deals, but mostly I go because I almost always have fun. I've met some very interesting and knowledgable people and a few jerks sprinkled in. Like Papabear said, I'm going to enjoy them as long as I can. Later Don
sheriff51

Gun Shows

Post by sheriff51 »

I go to a lot of shows mostly in Tulsa OK & Wichita KS. For the most part the larger shows offer the best deals but I have noticed that a show that was great one time is poor the next. So much depends on the local situation. With gas prices so high and the rising admission price the sponsors of the show are now charging, the number in attendance is down. With a table costing anywhere from $40. to over $100 the dealers who also may have to pay a couple of nights for a motel plus gas and food have already invested a lot of money just to display. Just for the record and for those of you who do not have FFL's, you just are not ever going to get rich selling new firearms. Keep going you will find some good deals and besides it just a heck of a lot of fun
trzeci98

Gun Shows

Post by trzeci98 »

I've been to a really crappy show that was the sorriest excuse for gun show that was possible without being devoid of guns. I'm still judging everything against the tanner gun show I went to in Denver, that was a fine show. Mostly good people, too bad I didn't have more money at the time.
gunneyrabbit
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Gun Shows

Post by gunneyrabbit »

The last treasure that I picked up at a gun show was a Star model D in as new condition. If the pistol was ever fired it was not evident, checkered wood grips were not stained with palm oil from repeated handling and there is no bluing loss on the mag or the frame from the friction of repeated use. Bought it from one of the local dealers at a the show for $185.00.
Here is an interesting point, Gun Test Magazine had done an article on used European hand guns and bought two copies of the same gun, one was the FIE version of the Star model D and the other was trade marked with the Star logo. The folks at Gun Test were not impressed with either pistol and were not kind in their review. As luck should have it two fellows were looking at the item and one remarked about the Gun Test review and they did not purchase the pistol which was my good fortune.

By the way, Gun Test magazine at different times has bad rapped the Feg PA63, Makarovs and they have a particular disdain for the 9x18 pistol round as being "odd". I'm sure they will get around to the P64 given enough time.
Oh yes, they were not impressed with the Cobra Patriot 45 either, and they call them selves "impartial" gun reviewers!

Sorry my bad!

Any how this is just one of the items I've picked up at gun shows and was darned happy to be at the right place at the right time.
G.R.
Last edited by gunneyrabbit on August 21st, 2008, 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.