Poll: Should I trade a P-64 for a CZ-52?

Info, pictures, advice...
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

I have three P-64's - two round hammers and one triangular. One of the round hammers, I've never shot.

A friend has a few CZ-52's and has suggested a trade. From what I can tell, the pistols seem to have about the same value. He probably got his quite a while ago when they were cheaper.

I'm strongly considering the trade if I can get him to kick in some ammo. I'd probably include 100 rounds with the P-64.

So what do you guys think? Is it a great deal, or would I be an idiot even to consider it.

Just FYI, I voted "I don't care" so I can see the results as others vote, but now as I look at it, it might tell you before you vote. Eh. Que cera cera.
Last edited by weetabix on May 29th, 2008, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

if by boot you mean more then just some ammo. I like the 52 but they are around and are not selling as much as the 64. but if you already have a couple of 64s well make sure you get some other boot,
electross

Post by electross »

If you want a CZ 52 to see what they are like, by all means go for it. I think the P64 has a higher value. It makes a better concealed carry. I have a CZ 52 and rarely shoot it. When I first bought it, I was wild about it. But then I got into Makarov's and P64's. I like them better. I've considered selling my CZ 52. The ammo, 7.62X25 in my area is not found everywhere. Some shops have surplus only or you can order S&B. It just doesn't fit well in my hand. These are just my opinions. If I had a surplus of P64's and wanted a CZ 52, I would do it but with something else thrown in, like some extra Marchal grips or ammo. I've seen some pictures of CZ 52's that have been re-finished and they turn out nice. Good Luck.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

I love the P-64 and would never trade it but if I had several...yeah I might. If you really want a CZ52 then go for it. Like everybody else has already said...the values are not equal so you need more stuff or the BEST CZ he has to balance the trade. I'm not a fan of the CZ52, heard good things about it but never got into it. To each his own. How motivated is your friend in wanting a P-64?? What else does he have multiples of? If you are talking about giving him the pistol plus 100 rounds then you're talking about getting back a pistol and several hundred rounds to make an even swap.

I sound like this is an international negotiation...if he is your friend just tell him the gun goes for $175 and the ammo is $10 a box of 50 then figure it out and have a good time!!! ;) And show us what you got in trade so we can be envious ;D :-/
Last edited by carguy on May 29th, 2008, 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mamcdonald

Post by mamcdonald »

Someone, I think Century, was selling CZ52s as soon as last week for something like $125. What's average cost of a P64 right now, $160-$175? Get him to compensate accordingly and take the trade, otherwise it's not worth it IMO.
anjdrifter
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by anjdrifter »

I liked the idea about adding dennis grips or something . heree
is a picture of my 52 with them on..
electross

Post by electross »

weetabix,
Check out anjdrifter's picture of a CZ 52 with Marschal grips. Now thats a good looking CZ. With the stock grips it really feels funky in the hand. ( at least mine) Polish some trigger surfaces, new grips, springs and you might want to upgrade the firing pin,(they are brittle as all get out and will break after about ?????12 dry fires). I think Harrington is the firing pin everyone gets. The hammer drop feature may get disabled with the Harrington pin. You might want to read up on that info. Basically you get to play with it the same way as a P64. By the way a 7.62X25 screams to the target. At dusk when firing the CZ you will also get a most spectacular display of muzzle flash. I was shooting mine on my place with a group of my son's friends, when I opened up with my CZ everyone took cover, they were nearby when I started but when I finshed a mag they were all 30 feet behind me. So, the CZ does have some character. If nothing else, get it and use it as a movie prop, (makes a fine ray-gun). ;D
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

The practical difference is that the P-64 is more suited for carry, while the CZ-52 is better for plinking. The P-64 is compact, concealable, and easily carried. It is reliable and carries a bit more whack than James Bond's PPK. This is the gun I wear when I go to the opera.

The CZ-52 has a notoriously unreliable safety/decocker. It is also significantly larger than the P-64. This is no concealed carry pistol. It might be okay in a military holster, but I would never trust mine inside the waistband.

On the other hand, I find that the CZ-52 is way more fun on the range than the P-64. The little Radom starts to hurt my hand after a magazine or two, while the CZ's loud ka-BOOM and muzzle flash starts to draw a crowd of admiring onlookers after only a couple of rounds.

I would think both of of nearly equal cash value, but who wants cash when you could have one of these fine shooters...?
electross

Post by electross »

:)There you go weetabix,
tunnelrat's got it. Swap and enjoy. They do look good with new grips. Well......OK, just better.
doyle

Post by doyle »

I disagree about the relative equal values. P-64's seem to be trading in the $160 to $190 range on the aucton sites. CZ-52's can be had for little more than a C-note. I would not do a staight even trade. Make him kick in cash/ammo/something to even out the values.
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

I have to admit I'm a bit ambivalent. But hearing that it's fun for plinking helps. I knew the CZ-52 wasn't a CCW gun. I'm more of an accumulating shooter than a collector, so a gun I wouldn't shoot doesn't appeal to me much.

I'll have to see if he's still interested after he shoots it. He got rid of his Mosins because he's recoil sensitive.

How does a CZ-52 compare to a P-64?
electross

Post by electross »

A CZ 52 is kind of like a 1911 but not quite. I think a P64 has more of a surprise kick to someone thats never shot one. Everyone seems to respond to recoil differently. So your question is does a CZ 52 have more or less re-coil than a P64. If he doesn't like recoil, he may not like the P64, or he might shoot it, look at and say "wow" thats neat. :)
deltacornbread

Post by deltacornbread »

weetabix wrote:I have three P-64's - two round hammers and one triangular. One of the round hammers, I've never shot.

A friend has a few CZ-52's and has suggested a trade. From what I can tell, the pistols seem to have about the same value. He probably got his quite a while ago when they were cheaper.

I'm strongly considering the trade if I can get him to kick in some ammo. I'd probably include 100 rounds with the P-64.

So what do you guys think? Is it a great deal, or would I be an idiot even to consider it.

Just FYI, I voted "I don't care" so I can see the results as others vote, but now as I look at it, it might tell you before you vote. Eh. Que cera cera.
It is your gun. If u want a 52, trade.
weetabix

Post by weetabix »

deltacornbread wrote: It is your gun. If u want a 52, trade.
Understood. However, my objective was to employ the depth and breadth of knowledge and experience resident in the forum membership to elicit salient points I might not previously have considered but which might influence my pondered commutation.

:)
Last edited by weetabix on May 30th, 2008, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

Quite right weetabix!

I voted for trade it with "boot". I am another one that can only assume that "boot" means extras, etc. If I had a spare I was willing to part with, and a friend wanted to trade "even up" for a gun I had an interest in that I have never owned before, I would do it. Why not?

Sure you can pickup a CZ-52 from SOG in "very good to excellent condition" plus shipping for $124.95 (C&R), but this one is right there. My P-64's are pristine. What condition is the CZ in? Has it been shot a lot? I have not owned one yet but I have read about the firing pins being brittle and slide rollers going bad.

I am thinking about ordering one from SOG at this price, but I have heard others here have had problems with SOG. I have never ordered from them so I am in the dark as far as how they are.

I say trade.
You can always trade back until your friend falls in love with his new little black jewel.

8-)

Fritzhund
Last edited by fritzhund on May 30th, 2008, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas