NEW PICS: Kept saying I'm gonna do it...so I did.

Use this section for all other firearms
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Another project... :'(

My son is just not a wood stock kind of guy. He and I have been really enjoying shoporting rifles of late together...thus the SU-16.

His dream would be something like a Remington 700 sniper rifle. Black stock, bipod, scope etc...a bolt action Evil Black Rifle ???

I showed some pictures to him and we decided to put together (bubba) our own from an Enfield #4 Mk 1 that I just got for $149 at Century International Arms. It is a 1942 Farzakeley (sorry about the spelling).

Here are a few before photos...it's going to need some of Norms heat treated bluing as well as some cold bluing (and I will refinish the wood...just for now ::) )
I also ordered some surplus ammo that I've heard is pretty good, from Ammunition to Go...like 700 rounds for $159 + shipping.

Century actually has a bunch listed at this price and even others considered in poor condition for $129 and US made Savage for $169.
Last edited by carguy on May 10th, 2008, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fritzhund

Post by fritzhund »

:)

Just my opinion, but I would restore it to factory.

It looks great, why destroy an original?

Get a Mosin Nagant 91/30 or M44 and Bubba that instead. They look more Evil then an Enfield ever would when they are dressed in Black and scoped out.

I am working on an Ishapore Enfield #1 Mk3 that looked way worse that what you have there. I have it as apart as it can get, and I am having a great time cleaning it up.

Fritzhund
Last edited by fritzhund on May 2nd, 2008, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Hunter S. Thompson: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

Here is a mosin 91/30 that made a fine sniper rifle.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

Well I spent the whole night stripping that baby down and cleaning the crap out of it. Didn't try the torch to blue...still afraid of it so I cold blued what I could...still not great as there is still some paint I couldn't get off. I did the old Easy Off oven cleaner on the stock a couple of times and it is drying in the furnace room. I will refinish it and we will shoot it in its original form but this is what "dingleberrys" wants to make it into...

Which I agree is pretty cool... 8-)

If it shoots well I may just pick up a "nicer" one for myself and since we now have a need for the ammo...I'll use his for a change!

What a difference...there are alot of parts...little parts...to this rifle. My MAS seems to have half as many!! Hopefully I'll get it back together this week. I want to make the stock look as nice as possible on the off chance my son will like it to. But this was a project for him so...not my call...just my dime!! :'(
Last edited by carguy on May 2nd, 2008, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trent
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by trent »

neat looking rifle man!
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

Show us some pics when you finish. Should make a fine one & 303 is a good shooter.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

FINISHED

The refubishing part..my son's EBR idea can wait... :o

The pics don't do it justice...I need to learn how to do this better, anyways here it is with a nice surprise at the end... ::)
I needed something to shoot it with right?!? 8-)

I picked uo this case of surplus ammo for $159 + shipping ($50 more) from Ammunition to go...I think it has close to 800 rounds in it?

Now to see how it shoots...it sure feels alot nicer and the cold bluing looks much better (in peson anyways).
Last edited by carguy on May 10th, 2008, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garry
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by garry »

Hey Carguy ! That turned out Fantastic! Great job! That ammo box looks like it has been around the world with all of those stickers ! lol Thats dern cheap for all of that ammo !
back to the rifle, What a huge difference that made. I like the way that trigger sweeps back so far like that. Looks Fast ! hehe Let us know what you think about that ammo,Carguy. Thanks for the pics,too. G
mamcdonald

Post by mamcdonald »

Just a warning for that Pakistani .303, the little bit that I had would hang-fire by a half-second or so after pulling the trigger. Fairly consistent to point-of-aim, though.
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

Man that is one great looking rifle. :-/
I have the same box & it goes good with the rifle. All of the 303 I shoot is milsap & I love it. :)
barnett3006

Post by barnett3006 »

good looking rifle! You sure you want to EBR that thing?
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

NOPE! My son is going to have to save up his money and be a bubba all by himself...at least for that project... ::)

I love this thing. I shoots so great...accurate as the day is long. I wish I found out about these things (Enfields) a long time ago...I'd have several :-* :-* :-*

This will definitely have close family members joining it in my safe in the near future. Great rifle now a #1 and maybe a #5 :o

And the ammo was flawless, not a hangfire in the bunch...yet!
I've used surplus ammo that was 100% and others that were like 20% , I know it is a gamble but for the savings it is a gamble I don't mind taking.
Last edited by carguy on May 11th, 2008, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
volfandan

Post by volfandan »

great job Carguy! That's going to be a heckuva lot of fun at the range 8-)
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

Post by papabear »

carguy,

Nice work fella, I really like what did to it. I love my No.4's and the No.5 that I have, you talk about a kick, the No.5 is similar to a Missouri mule but I love shooting it. Its the only military rifle I know of that has a rubber butt plate. Also, the No.1's are pleasure to shoot, just keep em rolling in, they are as addictive the MN's are.

papabear
POINT SHOOTER