help on p-64

Info, pictures, advice...
slimjim

help on p-64

Post by slimjim »

:-*hi everybody just joined today, need help and info on my latest toy,found p-64 at store 1975 make,really love it,came with 1 matching no.mag. no manual or military holster,knew the d.a. pull would be rough but after dry-fire about 8x finger gave out!the gun is unissued or mint ordered 2 mags from Keep Shooting,the trigger pull reminds me of my 454 casull after about 16 shoots in d.a. finger gave out, what i need to know is what is the best and safest hammer and recoil spring to put in there? i have heard everything from 16#-20# for trigger 20#-22# for recoil? also this is no problem but just curious,when i got the gun,grip panels had a few sharp edges which i had to trim and file a little, the inside of trigger where finger makes contact has right in the middle 2 vertical lines punched in there covers 85% of trigger,does not look bad but wondered if this was put there by previous owner.where can i get mil. holster and manual? how hard will it be to replace hammer spring?do i also have to replace firing pin spring? would also like to find original mil. grips since i heard that these were put on for import only!would also like to find new pair of grips for romanian tok. the one i bought has the star on right grip not on left,otherwise they are the same,nobody seems to have rom. ones, even checked makarov site, no luck. thanks glad to be here! ???
pshootr

help on p-64

Post by pshootr »

slimjim

help on p-64

Post by slimjim »

;D thanks now know where to get original grips, just never liked that thumbrest on left side! thanks again! :)
fcm018

help on p-64

Post by fcm018 »

I followed the advice of others here and bought the Wolff spring package, installed 20 lb hammer and 22 pound recoil with good results. Occasional light strikes on Wolf ammo, but fires nicely and American ammo works fine.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

help on p-64

Post by normsutton »

slimjim
welcome

the first this is to clean the gun of all Cosmolin
don't put anything lower than an 18# hammer spring in the P-64

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/PolishNF.html

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
slimjim

help on p-64

Post by slimjim »

:)thanks for the info, i am leaning towards the 18# hammer spring and 20# recoil spring do i need to replace the firing pin spring one too? heard wolf includes one with the purchase of the others,how hard is it to change them?have no schematics i know the recoil just slides on small part first,i always break down all new used guns and clean,clean. thanks :-/
Last edited by slimjim on April 28th, 2008, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

help on p-64

Post by normsutton »

slimjim

no on firing pin spring only if you have problems

go here and get a complete take down manual

http://p64.proboards67.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=1537

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
slimjim

help on p-64

Post by slimjim »

;D thanks guys for all the great info,really love my little p-64 once i change springs and get flat grips it might end up replacing my glock 27 which i really like except for me the glocks grips are not the most comfortable in the world,the grips on the p-64 fit me perfect.thanks again to all,especially norm sutton. 8-)
slimjim

help on p-64

Post by slimjim »

:o changed my avitar,did not know previous user of it had been banned it was not me under an alias,but i really did appreciate the info! thanks again, :)
slimjim

help on p-64

Post by slimjim »

??? was told that it would be ok to simply cut 2 coils off the hammer spring on my gun, and that would solve all problems with d.a. pull,dont know but the person who did it to has had no problems and fired hundreds of rounds! i can see where this will work but what are pros and cons? :-X thanks
normsutton
Global moderator
Global moderator

help on p-64

Post by normsutton »

slimjim

in the past I have cut coil springs when I couldn't get the right size or had to make a spring to fit , right now you can get the right # spring and at the right length from Wolff

so why not just buy the right one

here is a thread on cutting coil springs on a different site
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=49620

NORM
NORMSUTTON@AOL.COM
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER 1976

ImageImage
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

help on p-64

Post by grayfox »

back when I started on this forum, there was a lot of talk of diff springs, mags droppig out,ect. I don't believe the right springs were made back then. I cut two coils off of two of my guns and have never had a problem. D/A is smooth & my mags don't fall out. I still have two stock, but it worked for me on the other two.
Now that wolf has the right springs, I may have went that way, but my problem is some say only a #16 or # 18, ect. If I had messed up the spring, I could have always ordered one. So far I have put over 500rds thru the two (ea) w/out a problem. :)
mrcrabby01

help on p-64

Post by mrcrabby01 »

i did the spring work on mine, recoil and mainspring, and its a differnet creature. I had a friend that had one and sold it because of the trigger pull. I showed it to him afterewards and he about died.