CASTLE DOCTRINE

Info, pictures, advice...
michaelap

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by michaelap »

Here is a topic everyone here should at least be somewhat familiar with. Some time back, here in Ohio a state senator sponsored a bill SB308, as of now I have no more information since I was contacted to testify in my state capital(Columbus) has anyone kept up with this? Also please share your states laws pertaining to Castle. I am fully aware of the great states of Florida and Virginia, but some may not be aquainted with it.
beasleydano
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by beasleydano »

Castle Doctrine has been enacted into Mississippi and Tennessee law (I live in Horn Lake, MS and work in Memphis, TN. MS Gun Permit is honored in TN).
papabear
Global moderator
Global moderator

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by papabear »

In Kentucky the castle doctrine has been in effect since 2006.

KRS503.080 states:
1. there is no requirement to retreat when you are threatened with deadly force or when you are defending your home from an arsonist or burglar that is attempting to commit a crime.

2. Under the castle doctrine you are permitted to use deadly force.

In my home it was enacted in 2002 when I moved back home to Kentucky from Illinois. Papabear 101: Its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

papabear
Last edited by papabear on April 1st, 2008, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
POINT SHOOTER
manicmechanic
Veteran member
Veteran member

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by manicmechanic »

Michigan got on board with our governor signing the bill on 7/20/06. Here's a link to the NRA announcing it.
http://www.nraila.org//News/Read/NewsRe ... px?ID=7916
And here's the top points to our castle doctrine laws.
SB 1046, sponsored by Sen. Alan Cropsey, outlines rebuttal presumptions for justified use of self-defense. The bill makes it clear that there is no "duty to retreat" if a person is in a place where they have a legal right to be.

SB 1185, sponsored by Sen. Ron Jelinek, allows for the award of court and attorney fees in civil cases where it was determined a person acted in accordance with the Self Defense Act and where civil immunities apply.

HB 5548, sponsored by Rep. Tim Moore, gives civil immunities to persons acting in accordance with the Self Defense Act, preventing criminals and their families from suing law-abiding citizens.

HB 5153, sponsored by Rep. Leslie Mortimer, puts the burden of proof on the prosecutor to show that a person acted unlawfully in the application of force, rather than the person using the force having to prove they acted lawfully.

HB 5142, sponsored by Rep. Tom Casperson, expands the definition of "dwelling" to include a person’s garage, barn, backyard, etc.

HB 5143, sponsored by Rep. Rick Jones, creates the Self Defense Act and specifies that it is not a crime to use force or deadly force to defend oneself if that person is not breaking any laws when defensive force was used. The person must be facing imminent threat of death or great bodily harm.

It did not go into law until October, but hey the wheels of the government take a lot of grease!!
gotmak

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by gotmak »

As I understand it, you don't have to retreat in Indiana to protect yours or someone else's life or property, but depending on the judge you get, you may or may be in for a ride. ???
ozarker

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by ozarker »

We got Castle Doctrine last year in Missouri. Some bills introduced this year to try and improve on working.
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by carguy »

Believe it or not...we in the great Commonwealth of Massachusetts also have the Castle Doctrine in place. The first forward thinking firearm/saftey law implemented in years!
bobtx

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by bobtx »

We have it in Texas as well.

As of January 1, 2008 it is also legal to carry a handgun in your car without a carry permit.

Bob
Last edited by bobtx on April 3rd, 2008, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
weetabix

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by weetabix »

The Missouri Castle doctrine also covers you in your car, or in a "residence or habitation." So it applies not only in your home, but in a motel room, or a tent, or an RV, or someone else's home.

I think we got a good one.
himmel
Veteran member
Veteran member

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by himmel »

To add just a bit-- Texas has long had a "castle doctrine" related to one's residence--it has now been expanded to include a "no retreat" doctrine applicable to any place where a person has a legal right to be
mikeh1

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by mikeh1 »

here in California, where Mexican citizens have more rights than we do, a Castle Doctrine law would be impossible.
michaelap

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by michaelap »

mikeh1
I feel for, now Ohio has a long way to go but can I ask Why would you choose to stay in California? I mean for many issues besides this one.
mikeh1

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by mikeh1 »

I'm not in SoCA by choice, I was in Sacramento for about 5 years until jobs started to disappear. Northern CA is light years different from down south, the Bay Area excluded of course! I would move back north in a second of there were jobs, but the jobs are all in SoCA.
donnerwetter58

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by donnerwetter58 »

mikeh1,
Do me a favor if you would before you leave So Cal.
Send me a bus load of California girls. I really miss them.
Thanks in advance.

Dave
michaelap

CASTLE DOCTRINE

Post by michaelap »

Well, that must be the silver lining!!