What I learned about my p-64 today . . .

Info, pictures, advice...
kempin

Post by kempin »

. . . when you drop it, and that pointy little hammer lands on your big toe, it really HURTS! (Even with a shoe on.)

p.s. that is why you should never carry with the safety off. If you drop it and it lands on the hammer, it could fire. (And after today, I know that it is possible to drop it.)

-Kempin
vbrtrmn

Post by vbrtrmn »

Another good reason to wear shoes with safety toes!
amd6547

Post by amd6547 »

And luckily, Safety shoes is what I sell, and would be glad to offer members here a terrific deal on them !!
"I was so much older than, I'm younger then that now..."
carguy
Elite member
Elite member

Post by carguy »

You have learned a very valuable lesson so remember exactly what you did and how you did it. Not so you never do it again but if a bad guy ever gets the drop on you and says "drop your weapon"...you can comply and disable him at the same time... ::)
kempin

Post by kempin »

Nice one, carguy! I got a good chuckle out of that!

Actually, the incident did get me to realize that if you are carrying, it is always possible to drop a pistol and have it fall hammer down.

This got me to thinking about some of the guys who have posted about carrying with a round in the chamber and the safety off. I never thought that was a good idea, and this incident only reinforces my opinion. It is well and good to think about every split second in the face of a bad guy, but the pistol is still loaded every other boring moment of the day. (This incident happened to me in the rest room . . .) If it had fallen on the hammer with the safety off, there is a chance that the pistol could have fired--pointing upward, in the general vicinity of my carcass.

Talk about an embarrasing way to die.

(Yes, I know that there is a trigger safety, but I feel a lot better about the positive hammer block that engages with the safety on. Isn't that, after all, the reason they engineered the safety?)

Just my overly cautious opinion. Any thoughts?

-Kempin
redfestiva

Post by redfestiva »

I carry mine 6 down and 1 in the pipe, hammer down with safety off. My holster has a retension strap to keep it in the holster till I'm ready for it to come out. I use the factory hammer spring so the 1st trigger pull is very stiff. When I remove the gun from the holster I guess I could drop it but I could also drop it while standing on the firing line at the range for that matter. I have the round hammer so perhaps it would be less likely to sustain a direct hit from a drop anyway. I feel like it is a very safe way to carry it. Just my 2.5 cents worth.
space
Forum supporter
Forum supporter

Post by space »

Thank god it hit your toe, could have dented the gun on the hard floor :)

A friend of mine is a lawyer and started carying after being threatend by the husband of a client.

He got out of his car at the grocery store one day and his .38 fell out if it's holster and bounced across the parking lot and ended up under a car. He had to have someone help him reach it. I think that's the day he stopped carrying.
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

This is my question, Is it so hard to flip that tiny little safety when you need it? If it is then practice practice and practice until it is just one movement.. MUSCLE MEMORY! This means something Pretty groupings on the paper is just one part of the picture. ANYONE?
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

I am a bit suprised that nobody has echoed this point, really makes me wonder!
grayfox
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by grayfox »

This is my question, Is it so hard to flip that tiny little safety when you need it? If it is then practice practice and practice until it is just one movement.. MUSCLE MEMORY! This means something Pretty groupings on the paper is just one part of the picture. ANYONE?
Thats ok if thats the only gun you carry and you pracite so it is second nature. I carry one in the tube with the safety off because I've carried that way for years. But I also carry other types of guns and have been in a couple of "bad times" were a sec could have gotten me killed. Everyone has to do what they are comfty with. We are all diff (thank God) and if you feel safe with the safety on, then by all means, carry that way. I think everyone that carrys should know thier gun like a part of thier body...in the end you will win out.
kempin

Post by kempin »

michaelap,

I guess that is pretty much my point. It's not that you couldn't carry with the safety off . . . but why do you want to? What is the advantage?

I know that carry folk don't go juggling their hardware and are a pretty safe bunch, but accidents have a way of being unforeseen. Holsters can be impacted with a retained pistol in them. Stuff can happen. (As Space's post illustrates.) Just my opinion that the lower the odds of an unintended discharge, the better.

Anyway, I've got my nickel's worth of opinion in on this topic. Feel free to do what you want and be safe. I was just wondering out loud.

God bless and straight shooting,

-Kempin
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

I think you misread please re-read I am the one with safety on
blinddog
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by blinddog »

For me carrying with the safety off is seems to be just the right way to carry. The thought of it falling on the hammer has crossed my mind ( I carry one in the tube ) but I have confidence in the way I carry. I use the clipdraw and feel secure that my firearm is not going any where. I tried it out with no ammo doing all sorts of moves crouches pulls rolls sitting whatever. I am comfy and you should carry your firearm the way YOU are confortable. :)
kempin

Post by kempin »

Michaelap,

I didn't misread--I am agreeing with you.

Blinddog and others,

Do what you feel comfortable with and be safe. I know that you make the choice thoughtfully and not carelessly. There is no flame here, I was just reflecting.

-Kempin
michaelap

Post by michaelap »

Thanks !!