Yet Another P-64 Newbie, Range Report

Info, pictures, advice...
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Hi guys:

I have been interested in the P-64 for a while now and have been following this website. I finally picked one of the little gems up last week, a 1972 variant. As mentioned here, I field stripped and ended up just spraying on tons of Break-Free and letting the gun soak over night. The next day I scrubbed with rags, Q-tips, to get that stinking oil all off. Same with both magazines.

I'm pretty much a rookie, so I also packed along my big revolver to the range today, for comfort. Lol, what a difference in the two! Good overall experience with the P-64. No malfunctions, it fed S&B FMJ and ejected flawlessly. I did try the double action a few times (first time I gave up), but wasn't quite sure if I would even hit the target, so that was enough. Kick: the web of my right hand did get red, but didn't really feel that bad. Interestingly, my left hand got a little beat up from the trigger guard when I wasn't careful on hand placement.

One thing I was concerned about were the plastic grips torquing quite a bit (flat kind), but this may have been due to an overly "healthy" deathgrip. I checked the grip nut a few times, but it was still secure.

Thanks for all the good info here, hope to learn much more!

Stib :)
talon

Post by talon »

Hello Stib,

From one rookie to another welcome to the board, My first P-64 is also a 1972 variant. I'll be shooting it this weekend myself.

Peace,
Tal~ 8-)
abwehr
Veteran member
Veteran member

Post by abwehr »

stibnite,

As "talon" said, "welcome to the board"! Glad to hear you had a good experience with the P-64! This is a great little pistol for shooting and carrying. Pleae take a little time to read the past postings and you will gain a lot of information about the pistol that is only available here.

Please come back often and participate in all our discussions!
tunnelrat

Post by tunnelrat »

Interestingly, my left hand got a little beat up from the trigger guard when I wasn't careful on hand placement.
Yes, that's where my hand gets banged, too.

I've never considered the P-64 to have a lot of recoil when I use bullets of less than 100 grains. I've not had difficulty with either recoil or muzzle flip, but the trigger guard loves to reach out and whack me from time to time...
stibnite

Post by stibnite »

Thanks for the welcome, guys!

I did check my grips again tonight, and there seems to just be a little play in both, probably just the way it is. I guess I'll have to order a new pair from the grip maker here and see if they are better... ;D